Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Chang
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '03 9-5 Aero

Can someone tell me what the wire is for?

In the image, what is the wire(circled in yellow) for?
    I am working on my 9-5, and found it is loose and can be pulled out easily.

(I got the image from another thread and edited it, actually I was following the instructions to replace thermostat and temp sensor. Thanks to the original poster and instructions.)

I do not know if I accidentally broke it or not, but I have not idea what they are for. If someone could tell me what they are and if this is serious problem, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    That is not a wire. That is a vacuum line supplying additional boost to your power brakes. It moves freely for a limited distance in its anchorage to the vacuum booster. To completely remove it you would need to depress the red ring next to the aluminum housing of the vacuum booster, then pull out the vacuum line.

Since you are calling it a wire rather than a hollow length of tubing, I am guessing you are only seeing the normal small amount of free movement. Don't worry about it, but the line is somewhat rigid and can break if not handled with care.

Chang
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '03 9-5 Aero
    Thanks a lot. I was getting worried. It was actually pulled out when I tried to reach the thermostat before I even noticed anything. My bad for choosing the wrong word. Right now it is still easily pulled out, and I do not have to depress the red ring or anything. After finishing the job, I pushed it back inside and turned the engine on, and everything seems ok.

I do not know much about cars, but decided to work more on my saab now.
    Last edited by jchang; 03 April 2011 at 23:57.