Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Steve
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero, '89 900S

lifters tapping

I just replaced the head gasket on my wifes '89 900s. What a nightmare project that was. The bentley manual mentioned that the lifters will be noisy upon first startup and they were. Ive now run the car for about 15 minutes total and doesnt seem to be any less noisy. How long does it normally take for them to calm down? Should I pull the valve cover and pour some oil in there? Any suggestions are appreciated. Perhaps its that there is still some coolant in the oil? I ran some cheap oil through it for the first 5 minutes of running and drained it. Then I put my Mobil 1 synthetic in. There is still a very small amount of 'mayo', but its burning off.

btw, the amount of water burning off in the oil is hilarious. I pulled the car outside last night and was enveloped in a cloud of steam. Drove down the street and a huge cloud just followed me.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    I've experienced lifters taking about half an hour to quieten down. Pouring oil in won't make any difference. The oil for the lifters comes from the pressurised oil system of the engine. Rattling lifters in the short term, won't harm the engine. They are just annoying. The steam would worry me. The small amount of mayo in the oil should not be causing steam to the extent you mention. Are you sure you've really fixed that head gasket?

BTW. You can bleed the oil system for the cams and lifters. It requires loosening a few cam cap fastenings. Your Bentley will tell you how. I would let it rattle a bit longer before you do that.

Steve
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero, '89 900S
    Thanks Paul. I HOPE that the headgasket is fixed. I had the head skimmed to clean it up and I checked with a straight edge and it wasnt warped at all. Everything is torqued to spec, so I have just been crossing my fingers. (its my first headgasket) Ive been watching the coolant level and it hasnt dropped at all. After driving around the block, there is very little steam left, so I assumed it was just burning off. It only had a huge cloud for about the first 5 minutes. (its cold and very dry here, so maybe thats making the steam more prevalent?)

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    Sounds as though it's sorting itself out. Your exhaust system may have been full of water, causing the steam. Have your lifters lifters quietened down yet?

Steve
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero, '89 900S
    Im at work now, so Ill have to run it more when I get home. I bet the system was full of water now that you mention it. When I drained the coolant from the block and flushed, I bet some went down the exhaust.

Thanks!

doesn't care about 'rank' TooMany2cvs's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '90 c900 T16 - SOLD & GONE
    Quote Originally Posted by mt.aero View Post
    I just replaced the head gasket on my wifes '89 900s. What a nightmare project that was. The bentley manual mentioned that the lifters will be noisy upon first startup and they were. Ive now run the car for about 15 minutes total and doesnt seem to be any less noisy. How long does it normally take for them to calm down?
    At idle? Forever and a week. Take it for a drive. I idled mine for about half an hour after the HG, and they were still deafening. Half a mile, and they were fine.
    Adrian
    Soon to be living life on the road in an old VW
    http://WhereverTheRoadGoes.com

Steve
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero, '89 900S
    Thanks guys. I was worried for bit, so thanks for calming my nerves. I drove it for about a half an hour last night and they are happy lifters again. My wife is also happy to have her car back now.

btw, no more steam either, so it must have just been sitting in the exhaust.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mt.aero View Post
    Thanks guys. I was worried for bit, so thanks for calming my nerves. I drove it for about a half an hour last night and they are happy lifters again. My wife is also happy to have her car back now.

btw, no more steam either, so it must have just been sitting in the exhaust.
    Seems as though you have a result there and can stop worrying. I've had lifters that have taken 50 miles to shut up and then happy ever after.

Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero
    I well remember that big white cloud. It can be freaky alright.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialTool View Post
    I well remember that big white cloud. It can be freaky alright.
    Don't we all. That heart stopping moment.