Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Wrestrepo
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialTool View Post
    Call me shallow but I couldn't have something as ugly as a Cayenne in the driveway.

Land Cruiser? Great for trekking through the wilderness but in an urban environment, an antisocial hulk for people with adequacy issues.

Only one full-size 4WD I would seriously consider -- Volvo XC90.
    I wouldn't call you shallow, I would say that you don't like the looks of it. The LC has been historically the car I always wanted to own. Now I can actually afford (a used) one. Although the size is not appropriate to live in a city, if that's the amount of room you need for your loved ones and the crap that comes with them (stroller, bags, bikes, etc) then it's a great car.
    As far as the Volvo XC 90 I think it's the 9-5s of SUVs. It has been made almost unchanged since 2002, almost 10 years now. It does not have a competitive power train, it does not perform like a car and it does not have real off roading capabilities. The third row is useless and if you have seen videos comparing AWD systems the Volvo is pretty crappy. On the bright side, they are extremely cheap used.
    I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasaabi View Post
    I don't need a real off roading car, as a matter of fact the reason why I am asking about the Cayenne is because is "Luxurious", which is high in my wife's criteria, it has to look nice too and just say "Money" (not in the currency kind of way). Chances are that the car will never see anything more difficult than a dirt access road to a park.
    What about this one? I don't remember if you're looking for new or used but it'll be unique and makes a statement of being different and unique.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    I wouldn't call you shallow, I would say that you don't like the looks of it. The LC has been historically the car I always wanted to own. Now I can actually afford (a used) one. Although the size is not appropriate to live in a city, if that's the amount of room you need for your loved ones and the crap that comes with them (stroller, bags, bikes, etc) then it's a great car.
    As far as the Volvo XC 90 I think it's the 9-5s of SUVs. It has been made almost unchanged since 2002, almost 10 years now. It does not have a competitive power train, it does not perform like a car and it does not have real off roading capabilities. The third row is useless and if you have seen videos comparing AWD systems the Volvo is pretty crappy. On the bright side, they are extremely cheap used.
    A Google Image search speaks for itself:

"Porsche Cayenne girl":

"VW Touareg girl":

"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Wasaabi, have you checked out the new GC ? Very nice inside & out. I spent like 15 mins with it at the auto show couple weeks ago. Had the missus not so fixated on her Ody**ey, I'd would have wanted to go home in this:

"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Wrestrepo
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
    Wasaabi, have you checked out the new GC ? Very nice inside & out. I spent like 15 mins with it at the auto show couple weeks ago. Had the missus not so fixated on her Ody**ey, I'd would have wanted to go home in this:
    Yes I have and really really like it. My wife also likes the looks of it. I wish it performed a bit better on the road, a bit more "car like". I need to put that on the test drive list.
    I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Ian Scott
    Saab(s)
    Current: 87 900t, 02 9-5 4d Past: 88 900t, 05 9-5 wagon, 87,89 9000T, 91+85 900S, 84 900 8vt 4d
    as a matter of fact the reason why I am asking about the Cayenne is because is "Luxurious", which is high in my wife's criteria, it has to look nice too and just say "Money" (not in the currency kind of way).
    oOohhh a status symbol.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Yes I have and really really like it. My wife also likes the looks of it. I wish it performed a bit better on the road, a bit more "car like". I need to put that on the test drive list.
    The worst part of them, is their MPG... but none of the cars you are looking at have any better MPGs either.

What about an Audi Q7? Family friend has one, and it's a great car, and very luxurious.

Or possibly a BMW X5?
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Matt
    Saab(s)
    No Saabs :(... Just a Forester Turbo
    The land rover may be the worst out of the bunch in terms of reliability... But the Cayanne is no toyota...

If you want a luxurious SUV with some capabilities + less maintenance, I cannot believe you are not considering the Land Cruiser

Or if your wife wants more of an illusion of luxury, the Lexus GX is availible..

AFAIK, they depreciate faster too.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    As a cretin of modest means, I would be afraid to get the thing scratched up in any off road adventure.

Indeed I sacrificed the paint on my loved but not pampered T-100 when the blackberry and briars grew over the track.

My old Exploder would do fine but that T clawed it's way up the hill so in anything serious I would prefer not to pussy foot and cherry pick my way into trouble.

Even taking a 9-7 or Cayenne .... gives me chills and my Gawd, if I had to jack it to free it? I guess that is a rich mans game.

Wrestrepo
    Quote Originally Posted by drwatson32 View Post
    oOohhh a status symbol.
    Yes, of sorts. It's not the reason why she is getting it, but the cars that she likes are those that you would call a Status Symbol. I am the one that thought about the Cayenne, she still ikes the Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    The worst part of them, is their MPG... but none of the cars you are looking at have any better MPGs either.
    What about an Audi Q7? Family friend has one, and it's a great car, and very luxurious.
    Or possibly a BMW X5?
    Q7 and X5 are options...In my scale it would go M>X5>Q7

Quote Originally Posted by SaabBoon View Post
    The land rover may be the worst out of the bunch in terms of reliability... But the Cayanne is no toyota...
    If you want a luxurious SUV with some capabilities + less maintenance, I cannot believe you are not considering the Land Cruiser
    Or if your wife wants more of an illusion of luxury, the Lexus GX is availible..
    AFAIK, they depreciate faster too.
    As I said, the LC would be the number one choice had I not disliked what I saw at the autoshow. IF I had real off roading needs, it would be the choice, no questions asked. And I don't think that those depreciate that fast.