Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    i saw the use of kapton tape
    Got to protect the remainder of the fragile 85 wires. So far T5 and Koni shocks are the only Mods......

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    [FONT=verdana]So, I finally ran down the tank full of 3 year old gas and filled it up with High Test.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Made a pretty big difference![/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Still waiting on Antique tags so I stuck a tag from my 9K on and took it around the block.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]My block is 30 miles around. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Really enjoyed the ride even though there is no interior or passenger seat in the car. Also have a noisy DS halfshaft, and snow tires up front with crappy off brand radials on the back. When this is all sorted out it will be hard to wipe the smile off my face while driving my 85T[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Also got an awesome $85 JVC car stereo. It has bluetooth so it streams from my Ipod and Iphone and works better than my brand new Sync system in my Fusion company car. although the Fusion does have a cool 1.6L turbo and a 6 speed transmission.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Also got a clay bar and speed shine. Imagine, Advanced Auto sells Griots [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]products[/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]? Worked a little on the hood and roof. The clay bar really does get the fines off the paint. Unfortunately there are a lot of issues with my paint when you get up close and I imagine it will need a total repaint after I get all the mechanical stuff sorted out.[/FONT]

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T

Awwww Nuts

Might not make Carlisle. Got my Antique plates so I am legal

Got new tires put on and had the mechanic take a look into my drive line vibration.
    He replaced both half shafts only to realize one of my inner drivers is gone. My call to replace both.

$300 each after $150 spent on the half shafts and the wife is raising eyebrows based on month to date spending.

Oh yea I got in the car do drive home and went to put on the turn signal and found it hanging by the wires, mechanic helper busted the switch out moving the car. Grrrrrrr..... Think I can fix it though, looks like the rivets pulled out.

On the plus side the car looks good pretty nice with the Inca's on it and I got nice tunes to cover the drive line vibration.

Probably work on the interior this weekend

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    1990 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible
    $750.00 bucks AND the helper busted the signal stalk? Wow, what a repair.

Would love to see the car with the Incas on it.

Have a great weekend.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    It was 150 for the shafts and 150 for labor to put them in and mount and balance the tires so not 750, but the turn signal is a drag.
    I think I can fix it.

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    Man i hope you put new trunnion / tripod bearings in or your old ones will wreck the new inner drivers in no time.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is wront. Saab make a note Of it in a service manual

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by s900t8v View Post
    Man i hope you put new trunnion / tripod bearings in or your old ones will wreck the new inner drivers in no time.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong. Saab make a note Of it in a service manual
    Second and a third to that. New tripod bearings are a must with new inner driver cups. Done properly and lubed well they will last the life of the car if the rubber boots are intact and don't lose lube. You are replacing those as well I hope.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    The tripods are brand new. perhaps 30 miles on them as I had to get the car back to my garage.
    The half shafts are slightly longer than the ones removed so the vibrations are diminished but still present.
    $600 for a new set of drivers is huge since I paid that for the entire car. I found a used set for $150 but am skeptical.
    According to the ACE mechanic only one of the drivers has apparent wear.
    I wish my day job did not suck up 70 hours of my life a week.

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    I'm confused, have you changed the inner drivers or not?

IF you didn't then why did you put new tripod bearings in :S

You generally replace the inner driver + tripod bearings at the same time

Used ones are fine as long as you ensure there are not undulations by feel.

You can also swap the inner driver cups from side to side to give new contact areas to the tripod bearings. Providing the grooves are not too bad this is effective and recommended by Saab manual. This is reasonably involved.

Remove the 6 bolts on each side of the inner driver housings. Remove the diff cover (so you can line it all up again), remove the inner driver housings (keep the shims on their respective sides). Remove the circlips holding the drive cups in place, tap out with mallet swap the cups from one side to the other, replace circlips, replace the housing O rings and inner driver seals if they were leaking. put one side on at a time, ensure the diff carrier bearings sit in the driver housing races - Bolt it all back up - tighten the bolts in stages and start on the left side (tighten them all down first) then the right - using permatex aviation on the bolts.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Have not changed the inner drivers, yet...

Pretty busy with the day job and messing with the drive line on jack stands is a drag so I took it to my mechanic to diagnose.
    Now I live Really Rural, Kind of like the outback and the mechanic is 40 miles away.
    He said I needed a half shaft. I ordered 2 new ones and had them drop shipped. Figured I would change them both
    He installed the suspect half shaft and said the issue was still there so I said put the other one in. That is when he discovered the buggered driver.

I know how to change them, I totally resealed the transmission, but do not remember the buggered driver.
    Think the tripods will be OK with such little mileage on them.
    Am leaning towards 2 new drivers and carrier bearings while I am in there, but will be doing this on my back on Jack Stands.