Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Despondent and in need of a pep talk

Picked up my not completed motor from the shop yesterday. He left in in a high humidity area and it is really kind of gross. Thinking of scrapping the whole thing. I'll post some carnage pictures later.

I did get the rust all repaired and POR'd and have all the new suspension bushings and boots for the front end.

Anybody got a good 85 motor?

On the positive side I have been driving the heck out of Threepwood!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Ruined an engine? What kind of hack would do such a thing?

Hey... for $800 you can get a complete parts car!
    1986 saab 900

Or for $600 you can get a 'vert parts car that needs a new head gasket.
    1987 saab 900 turbo convertible

There are some options for ya!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by jskrebs View Post
    Anybody got a good 85 motor?
    Why use a stock '85 engine? This is the opportunity to build a screamer! Get a later block (or, I bet your original block and bottom end are fine), replace head with a 2.1 head (2.1 intake manifold too), use your '85 exhaust cam (better pickup, from what I hear), regular turbo intake cam, and get your local machinist to grind the flywheel out for a trionic 5 trigger wheel pattern.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Ruined an engine? What kind of hack would do such a thing?

Hey... for $800 you can get a complete parts car!
    1986 saab 900

Or for $600 you can get a 'vert parts car that needs a new head gasket.
    1987 saab 900 turbo convertible

There are some options for ya!

Stopped and checked them out, neither run...

Why use a stock '85 engine? This is the opportunity to build a screamer! Get a later block (or, I bet your original block and bottom end are fine), replace head with a 2.1 head (2.1 intake manifold too), use your '85 exhaust cam (better pickup, from what I hear), regular turbo intake cam, and get your local machinist to grind the flywheel out for a trionic 5 trigger wheel pattern.

Not a bad idea, I have most of the trionic stuff, even a can BDM/USB unit and a cad file for the back of flywheel trigger wheel.

Attached some pictures showing some completed rust repairs, and some of the motor once I got it back to my garage. I left it at the shop a year ago with instructions to put in new rings and check the rest of it our. He laft it head off in a very humid environment. Think the head and motor are still usable?

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I haven't got a clue about the engine... looks like it would be quite a bit of work to get rid of that rust. But I did come across this on Saabnet
    Saabnet.com Saab Parts Classifieds
    • SAAB 900 1980 & 1984 Parts Cars (Posted 11/7/11)

1980 900 2 door hatch non turbo. Has running " B " motor. These were used in 1980 and prior 900 and 99 chassis. Motor has ~ 70,000 miles on a freshen up rebuild ( ~ 170,000 total ) , head gasket a few years ago, water pump last year. The B motor has a steel valve cover and the distributor in the block. Currently coupled to a good working TB37 automatic from a 1986 900. Alternator is a few years old as is the steering rack. Body pretty rusty, could go again but needs exhaust, brake and the typical SAAB fix of the day. I've owned this car since the mid 80's and know it's history. 1984 900 4 door trunk turbo 8 valve motor. (Aluminum valve cover with the distributor at the end of head) Motor ran when parked but had zero oil pressure ( no bearing noise ) likely a stuck relief valve. Has Renault Fuego exhaust housing and small factory intercooler ( last I checked it was a APC car or at least had APC added ) Car was parked because the trans has a broken pinion bearing holder. Was a parts car for the 80 above so some stuff is gone, body rusty. Would rather sell complete cars but will consider pulling motor / trans or major parts. $ 300 per car or $ 300 each for a engine / trans pull. Cars are located near Pittsburgh PAContact: Harold Hunt, Hunker PA
      Email: Click Here
      Phone: NA
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    Ehhhh, the B engine is not a good choice. Leave that car for someone who actually needs a B engine. These had gear-driven water pumps, which often sheared teeth, crippling the vehicle, but they fit in the 99 and the turbo manifolds are SUPER RARE. Compression in a B turbo engine will be (IIRC) around 7.1:1, as they did not ever come with APC.

Looking at the pictures you posted: if I were you, I would not bother with that engine unless you cannot find another. It's at least as much work to get an engine from one of those parts cars Shazam suggested running as it will be to get yours together and going. A later parts car with a bad head gasket actually sounds ideal (stronger gearbox, bigger flywheel/clutch). You can take the head off, take the block and gearbox out of the parts car, rebuild the gearbox while it's still attached, cut the flywheel trigger, find a 2.1 head, and put it all together. Is the gearbox below your '85 engine any good? It looks a bit cruddy, but that could be hiding good internals. I do wonder...
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Trans is good, just dirty. Motor ran well also, just had wicked blow by. Both motor and trans rebuilt about 36k ago.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    A gearbox rebuilt that recently shouldn't have trouble, for sure! I still don't know about rebuilding the engine itself, though.

Also, you say you have the CAD file for the trigger wheel. Would you consider sharing it with me? I, too, am considering getting this done next time I change my clutch, so I'd really love to have it for that occasion!

Ian Scott
    Saab(s)
    Current: 87 900t, 02 9-5 4d Past: 88 900t, 05 9-5 wagon, 87,89 9000T, 91+85 900S, 84 900 8vt 4d
    fwiw Sam, I believe the NA intake cam is part of the hot setup. ( I have that one, now on the hunt for 85 exhaust cam )

Perhaps do some light cleaning on that engine block and ask yourself, again, if it's worth putting new rings in?

That head looks pretty similar to the 2.1L head I have kicking around. I wouldn't be afraid to use it, but that's me...

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Got the motor removed from the transmission today and cleaned it up a bit. The block does not look to bad at all.

Can't get the crank bolt off for anything, hoping that the motor shop has a killer impact gun.

Going to look for a more reputable motor shop to hot tank the block and inspect/replace the rings etc.. Will also have them look at the head to see if it is usable with a bit of cleanup.

Also attached a pic of the trigger wheel file I drew up. My laptop crashed so I will need to redraw it. I have a customer with a laser cuter that can cut them out.
    Attached Images Attached Images