Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    9-3 2003 Convertible

Oil thread

Ok - I know im being paranoid - but just want to confirm. I recently purchased a 2003 9-3 Convertible. The manual calls for 5-30 synthetic. I used Pennzoil Platnium 5w-30 about 2 weeks ago (100 miles since changed). Anyway, Im reading now about 0w-40. Do you think I should replace the oil with Mobil 1 0W-40? Also, I purchased a OEM GM Filter - can I use that filter with Mobil1 or do you recommend a different type. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and the VIN has a Y in it - if that helps.

Thank you.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 12 April 2011 at 12:44. Reason: Moved post to new thread

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-3 SS Linear--gone, 06' 9-3 SC Aero--gone, 09' 9-3 SS Aero Auto--yeah
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySaab View Post
    Ok - I know im being paranoid - but just want to confirm. I recently purchased a 2003 9-3 Convertible. The manual calls for 5-30 synthetic. I used Pennzoil Platnium 5w-30 about 2 weeks ago (100 miles since changed). Anyway, Im reading now about 0w-40. Do you think I should replace the oil with Mobil 1 0W-40? Also, I purchased a OEM GM Filter - can I use that filter with Mobil1 or do you recommend a different type. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and the VIN has a Y in it - if that helps.

Thank you.
    Well you've got the older 9-3 version with a different engine I believe. You might want to check over in that forum.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I'm no oil expert, but as long as it's a decent synthetic, you'll be fine. I wouldn't go wasting all that oil. The PP is a very good oil. I only use Mobile 1 because the local Autozone always has good deals on it when I get it, but the first couple times I used the Castrol Syntec... don't notice a difference.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Zach
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '98 900SE vert stg3+
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySaab View Post

Thank you.
    I don't think you'll want to use a 30 weight oil in that era of 9-3. Doesn't hold good oil pressure, and is one of the reasons for the sludge issues with those cars. I used Mobil1 10W-40 for a while, but switched to Rotella 5W-40 full synth which I think is better (some people have done oil analysis on M1 oil and found a couple issues with it...I had no problems, but changed anyways).

And I think the GM filter is fine, I ordered a bunch of them through eeuroparts some time ago. Make sure you're doing 4k oil change intervals.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9.3 Convertible (x 2!!!).
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveiron View Post
    I don't think you'll want to use a 30 weight oil in that era of 9-3. Doesn't hold good oil pressure, and is one of the reasons for the sludge issues with those cars. I used Mobil1 10W-40 for a while, but switched to Rotella 5W-40 full synth which I think is better (some people have done oil analysis on M1 oil and found a couple issues with it...I had no problems, but changed anyways).

And I think the GM filter is fine, I ordered a bunch of them through eeuroparts some time ago. Make sure you're doing 4k oil change intervals.
    So you are recommending 4k changes? (I blew an engine on my last 93 convertible - I am hypercautious!