Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2003

Speaker upgrades

Also I need to replace my door speakers, but all I have found are people saying what they plan to do. Has anybody out here actually done it?

<edit Wulf: moved posts about general speaker upgrades from the dash speakers tutorial to new thread>

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2003
    Got tired of searching and just went with the infinity 6032si for $61 on amazon (includes shipping). Plan to install them over the weekend. It will be nice to get rid of the "farting" speakers as someone perfectly described them above.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
    i just ordered a set of the s35s for the front i cannot wait to get these in next is door and rear speakers im hopping i can get much better bass
    [FONT=verdana]I just installed the [FONT=verdana]Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch shallow mount 180-Watt two-way in the doors. They come with tweaters, and since I didn't know how to bypass them, I left them connected. They sound pretty good. Bass is clean. I also replaced the dash and rear speakers with BA s35s. So now the only original speakers I have are the 6x9 bass speakers and the center speaker in the dash. On a scale of 1-10, I would say my systems sounds like a 7. I plan on disconnecting the center speaker to get a wider sound stage which may boost my score to an 8. Upgrading the 6x9's might help some, but I think a better investment might be adding a sub-woofer, but that might be too much for my budget.[/FONT][/FONT]

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    04 9-3 ARC
    well since i have owned the car it seems like alot of the cars bass has gone away so ive been meaning to upgrade the speakers and get a small 10in sub... either im doing doors next or getting a new sub, orrrrrr the alternative and get a new headunit.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2003
    [FONT=Verdana]Let us know how it turns out for you. [/FONT]

Saab(s)
    9-3 Sportwagon 1.9TiD

Thumbs down

Hey guys, I am new here, but have found this thread an absolute must when it comes to the dire 7 speaker factory setup. I have just replaced the dash speakers for Boston 35s, and I might consider doing the doors at some point. I have a 2005 9-3 wagon, and the rears are in the bootlid, does anyone who what speakers are stock, and if they are worth replacing? They sound god awful when I fade the fronts out to check them out

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far to an excellent and worthwhile thread!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal Ashurst View Post
    I have a 2005 9-3 wagon, and the rears are in the bootlid, does anyone who what speakers are stock, and if they are worth replacing? They sound god awful when I fade the fronts out to check them out
    Welcome Neal!

The stock 9-3 sound system doesn't send much of a signal to the rear. The rear speakers are mostly just background fill sound and most of the real sound comes from the dash. Even the door speakers are less important than the dash speakers and are mostly for bass if you don't have the optional Saab subwoofer.

So with the stock sound system, the best improvement will be when replacing the dash speakers. Other speaker upgrades will make a difference but you won't notice that much of a change. Unless you upgrade the stock amplifiers.

Saab(s)
    9-3 Sportwagon 1.9TiD
    Hey Wulf, I might consider upgrading the amp, I guess its all about cost like most things in life! I might as well stick to what I have for now then, until I get used to it, then its time to look at the amp, and other speakers I do like to have decent bass, would it not be worth considering changing the door ones for something a bit more capable in the meantime?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    04 9-3 ARC
    im curious where do you guys think the best source for a sub would be the rear amp plug or amp 1 under the driver seat, or tapping off a speaker hahahahah i want to grab the best bass. i sat in a linear this weekend the bass was tapped from under the driver amp it was super weak for two 12s. i know a guy localy whos also got a single 10in but he tapped of the rear speaker connecter off the amp... i have yet to hear that.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2003
    The previous owner of my car tapped the rear 6x9s for his sub. He took it with him, so I don't know how it sounded. By the way I disconnected my center speaker in the dash and I must say it sounds so much better. That muddy flat sound wasn't the bad speakers, it was the center speaker ruining the stereo effect. I highly recommend it.