Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 Turbo-X, 1994 900 CommEd

'04 Aero - Center Resonator Deleted

I had a FEW extra dollars burning a hole in my checking account so I randomly decided to have the center resonator deleted from my '04 Aero. I brought it to a local custom exhaust shop and they sawed out the resonator and welded in a piece of straight pipe. It took them about 20 minutes and 3' of pipe. 85 bucks. Somehow I feel like it would have been cheaper had I pulled up in something other than a Saab... Whatever, they did a good job, and I can probably sell the chunk they removed.

The sound didn't change dramatically. It's deeper and throatier, maybe a tiny bit louder all under 3k rpm. As soon as you pass that though, it sounds the same. It sounds AWESOME when you start it cold and the engine is revving higher than normal idle, and has a bit more burble when I downshift (using the stupid paddle shifters). Would I spend $85 to do it again? Probably not. But I'm not disappointed.

Quick video below. I propped my iPhone against a rock in my driveway, nothing fancy.

Jared
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 ARC ( and care-taker of a '98 900SE)
    That sounds awesome. I've been thinking of doing this to mine, seeing as both my resonator and muffler are about to rust through. Though straight pipe all the way back might be a bit loud...haha Definitely wanting to do this with my friends 9-5 (4 cyl Arc).

Stock Arc sound:

(Still might be processing)
    Last edited by J-Rod; 27 March 2011 at 04:45.
    I don't drive fast...I fly slow

Wrestrepo
    You realize that the left rear tire seems to be installed incorrectly (rotational tire)
    I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Jared
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 ARC ( and care-taker of a '98 900SE)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasaabi View Post
    You realize that the left rear tire seems to be installed incorrectly (rotational tire)
    Yep. That was taken the day he brought it home from the dealer and we noticed it at home. It was fixed later that night.
    I don't drive fast...I fly slow