Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero
    Does he really need or just want AWD?
    He doesn't need AWD; otherwise he'd need more ground clearance than either of the choices can offer.

Jared
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 ARC ( and care-taker of a '98 900SE)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    So if he wants a sporty car, and AWD second, get the Bimmer.
    That's pretty much it. He wants AWD for handling and for mild winter use. For heavy winter stuff, he has a 4WD Mercury Mountaineer. I tried telling him that FWD (like a 9-5...) with some snows on it would be just as good as AWD. But he's insisting on AWD...
    I don't drive fast...I fly slow

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Just steer him in the right direction when it comes to tires on the AWD. They are the weak link. I assume he means snow.

Does he think the AW means all weather as in what ever mother nature tosses our way? Few cars have the clearance to handle deep and drifting snow.

Jared
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnanxwd View Post
    Just steer him in the right direction when it comes to tires on the AWD. They are the weak link. I assume he means snow.

Does he think the AW means all weather as in what ever mother nature tosses our way? Few cars have the clearance to handle deep and drifting snow.
    Haha, nah, he's a pretty big car guy, he knows what AWD is and that the tires are the real link.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    He wants AWD for handling
    But pretty much every rear wheel drive car is going to be better handling until you start to get to very expensive AWD systems or very fast cars. With AWD you can exit corners faster, and you get better connection to the road, but the weight far outweighs any benefit you'd get around a track with the 325xi vs a 325i. Also, a RWD would be a lot more fun in my opinion.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Jared
    Saab(s)
    Well...he bought the BMW. Overall, it's in pretty good shape.

It runs great.
    Last edited by J-Rod; 29 April 2011 at 00:47.

Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero
    I tried telling him that FWD (like a 9-5...) with some snows on it would be just as good as AWD. .
    Attaboy! We do what we can.

Wrestrepo
    I tried telling him that FWD (like a 9-5...) with some snows on it would be just as good as AWD with all seasons...
    Fixed......
    The idea that FWD with snows is as good as AWD is not entirely accurate. Given the same conditions (car, tires, etc) AWD will be better. Now, if you start making concessions, like all season tires for the AWD car, and snows for the FWD car, then is no longer an apples to apples comparison, and you can start saying things like "..as good as AWD"
    I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Jared
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    ... Things like wiper motors, window motors, door locks not working, a weird sound coming from the engine bay... things that you can still drive with but you'll want to get fixed soon. ...
    Okay, this is pretty funny. Every one of those things, except the wiper motors, has happened. I was in it and went to roll up the window and heard a loud "POP" and window fell into the door. Kinda freaked out...haha

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Okay, this is pretty funny. Every one of those things, except the wiper motors, has happened. I was in it and went to roll up the window and heard a loud "POP" and window fell into the door. Kinda freaked out...haha
    Not long after this thread, my best friend ended up getting a 2001 BMW 325Ci. It was a nice car, but way over-priced for the condition and miles. He isn't very good on cars, but willing to learn, so I showed him a couple things that needed fixing and helped him. But, like you said, it was one thing after another. First, the back windows (just those small ones) stopped going out/opening. Then, the sun-roof started making crazy sounds (we found the problem, as it was a common one with those years). And then the electric seats would stop working intermittently. And then a switch broke for the passenger window. And then it got T-boned, and was totaled. Now he wants to get as close to the same thing!?! I don't get the kid. For the price he is looking at (10-11k) he could get a Saab or VW that is 6 or so years newer, with less mileage. Or he could get a Audi that is at least 2 years newer with similar mileage.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig