Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd

Road trips and Epic Journeys

We've all got road trip stories, some good, some not so good. Here are a couple of mine.

Denmark to Italy and back:

Moved here: http://saabworld.net/f172/denmark-italy-back-26431/
    Last edited by Hirsch; 14 May 2011 at 17:11.

Jared
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 ARC ( and care-taker of a '98 900SE)
    Not epic, but decently funny (at least at the time)

From New Albany to Cleveland, Ohio, last year. It was me, my parents, my brother, and one of my friends. We were heading to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Which was really cool!) We left on a Friday at about 7 PM, my dad was driving in the Suburban, and he wanted to get as far as we could before pulling over to sleep. Little did we know, that was a really bad idea. We got through Cincinnati and when it was about 10 PM we decided it was time to pull over. Turns out the town we were in had a HUGE classic car show in town, and we stopped at a hotel who said they were booked. We thought, "No big deal" there are more hotels in town. Two hours later we had been to every hotel in town and all were booked. Even the Hilton Suites that we were willing to pay anything to sleep at. At this point it was getting late, and we were desperate, so we headed north, getting off at every exit to check for hotels. All booked still. After another 2 hours, now 2 AM, we were to the point of being so tired that we didn't feel tired anymore. (The point where everything is hilarious, no matter how stupid it is) After awhile of silence, from the third row seat, I heard my brother very calmly and seriously say, "Hey, we could just sleep in that White Castle over there." And I would be lying if I said we didn't seriously consider it. Finally, at about 2:30/3:00 AM, we found a Hotel with one room left. A suite for $200 per night, but we didn't care, we needed sleep.

Honestly, in the time we spent looking for a hotel, we could have finished the drive.
    I don't drive fast...I fly slow

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    I can relate to that J-rod.

When I was still an independent contractor I had to do a banzai run to FL with a huge industrial clutch for a paper mill in Perry, FL. I got down there and got the delivery done by about 1am and then went looking for a hotel. The first 3 were full, the last one I went to had one room left.

Now, I was dead tired, I'd been up and working since 6am the previous day so I really didn't notice the cars in the parking lot were all cop cars. K-9 units to be exact. I like to partake of some fine herb every now and then, especially after a long day behind the wheel. It relaxes me and loosens up my back. When I walked out my door the next morning there were police dogs everywhere and they were all barking. I thought I was going to get busted with the 2 grams of smoke in my go-bag! I stopped, looked around at the closest cop to ask "am I cool?" He said, "Oh yeah, they always act like this in the morning."

I was never so glad to get out of FL in my life!
    Last edited by Hirsch; 15 May 2011 at 13:28.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I started with some pictures and random thoughts about my recent road trip here:
    Saab road trip - Lake Superior, Minnesota and Manitoba - part 1 - Blogs - SaabWorld

More to follow soon.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    In case I haven't bored you to death with the first part, part 2 is published here if you're interested:
    Saab road trip - Lake Superior, Minnesota and Manitoba - part 2 - Blogs - SaabWorld

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
    Last long drive was to Charleston, SC from Ann Arbor, MI for our 30th wedding anniversary to visit where we got married, even had a tourist take our picture in the spot we got married in the park. Before that our last really long drive was a driving vacation from Ann Arbor to Nova Scotia. Drove up along the Canadian side of Lakes Erie and Ontario and along the St. Lawrence River. Driving around Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Our return trip was through Maine staying in the US crossing back to Canada at Niagara then back to the US in Detroit and home to Ann Arbor.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9³ Arc
    I'm on a little road trip now. Just over half way, some 3000 km left. Starting southbound from Rovaniemi, Finland tomorrow. I will try to stitch together a summary when back home.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colombo View Post
    I'm on a little road trip now. Just over half way, some 3000 km left. Starting southbound from Rovaniemi, Finland tomorrow. I will try to stitch together a summary when back home.
    Did you go to intSaab in Finland? That would be a great roadtrip.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9³ Arc
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Did you go to intSaab in Finland? That would be a great roadtrip.
    I was more than 1000 km away, a bit too far even for me...

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Just came back from the Columbia River Gorge (in the m***van) if anyone's intere............... ZZZZZZZZZZZ
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)