Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Wrestrepo

Jail food V. School food

I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Costs less to feed the prisoners somewhat better.

Has anybody been watching Jamie Olivers Food Revoloution? This season, the 2nd, is in Los Angles and he's being barred from everything. The show has been on hold until June for ratings reasons.

My 1st graders school has an ala Carte menu that reads like a fast food menu. Thankfully she's a picky eater and packs her lunch. My wife makes sure she eats healthy stuff.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    When I was at school (6-12 years old), we walked home for lunch. High school was a little bit further away (by bicycle) so we usually took sandwiches and fruit with us. Daily exercise and a healthy, inexpensive lunch. What a concept!

I was a bit shocked walking through a high school cafeteria and see the weekly menu with mostly junk food.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    When I was at school (6-12 years old), we walked home for lunch. High school was a little bit further away (by bicycle) so we usually took sandwiches and fruit with us. Daily exercise and a healthy, inexpensive lunch. What a concept!

I was a bit shocked walking through a high school cafeteria and see the weekly menu with mostly junk food.
    My wife, growing up in Denmark, had a very similar experience. When she came to the US in 1990 as a 17 year old exchange student she'd never seen a school cafeteria!

Zack
    SAAB SAAB SAAB BLABLABLA Brewmaster's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1987 900 SPG (totaled), 1987 900 T16 (new SPG)
    I grew up on crappy school food and I've had the displeasure of "enjoying" a "meal" during an overnight "stay" at the local "inn"

For all intents and purposes, the school food at least tasted better

Wrestrepo
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
    I grew up on crappy school food and I've had the displeasure of "enjoying" a "meal" during an overnight "stay" at the local "inn"

For all intents and purposes, the school food at least tasted better
    Did you eat the "tossed salad"?
    I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Zack
    SAAB SAAB SAAB BLABLABLA Brewmaster's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1987 900 SPG (totaled), 1987 900 T16 (new SPG)
    No it wasn't that kind of stay. I had my own room and I was only in for about 12 hrs

However I will say they have no "alternative" meal setups for people with blood sugar issues. My sugar was so low by the time I was let out I could barely stand up

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    When I was 19 I got a DUI and became a guest of the county jail for 63 days. My bail was $500, but my dad said "let him sit". I'm glad he did. It taught me a valuable lesson. Mostly that I never wanted to go back to jail again.

In two months of eating 3 square meals a day I gained about 25 pounds. The fact that we never got out to exercise probably didn't help, but even after I got out and went to a halfway house(it's a long story) and was working I maintained the weight.

Jeff
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9.3 conv 2002 , Saab 900T16 1989, Saab 900T8 1981 , Saab 99CC 1977, Saab 95V4 1969 , Saab 96
    The most terrible thing is that we finish our lives by eating junk food at the hospital and worms in the grave