Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Speedometer reading above 0, even when parked.

Hi ! I've been experiencing some problems with my saab 9-3 (2005 Tid) speedometer.
    I could see very few people with this same issue.
    For an unknown reason, One day I've noticed that when parked my speedometer read above 5km/h. When travelling the reading is always incremented by the error. After a few days, that error rose to 20km/h and after a few weeks it was on 30km/h.
    I decided to disconnect the negative terminal in the battery, and everything was fine, for a few days. One day I could watch the speedometer needle going down to 0 when stoped in traffic.
    Then, after a few days, the error came up once again. When I disconnect the battery its fine for some time. I have not disconnected the battery for 3 months now, and the error is only at 10km and hasn't rised since then. My speed warning works fine independently of the speedometer. So I'm positive that this has nothing to do with abs modules, etc, etc.
    Last time I took the car to the dealer, They said the battery was ok (I hopped this was the issue), and the only solution might be the cluster replacement.
    Could it be something related to cold condition, and the fact that I didn't drive car much during winter ?
    I've read many people having this issue with other brands and the solutions is either replacing the cluster or disconnect the battery.
    Ideas ?
    thanks! Regards
    David

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    It sounds like it is an unusual problem. However, it seems unlikely this was caused by the car sitting for a longer period of time in winter. Saabs are made in Sweden after all and they seemed to be pretty resilient to the cold. Perhaps you could try to disconnect the battery and let it sit overnight? Or you could check with a Saab dealer or indy to see if they are familiar with the problem.

Thanks for the reply.
    My dealer didn't know any simillar case. The only solution was to replace the cluster, which is very expensive.
    Meanwhile I won't disconnect the battery until the error rises again, althought this does not happen for a few months now.
    The only two times I've done it, as the result was imediate, I only waited about 2 minutes before connecting it again.
    I've been reading about this problem in many models of different brands. Maybe someone could explain the reason why.
    Thanks and regards.
    David

Saab(s)
    9.3 aero
    Hi I have the same problem but find popping the fuse out is a lot quicker and easier.