Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 SE HoT, 2003 9-5 Aero.

Building a motor 2.0

Hey guys, So around last year my 9-3 had a chain skip (what i was told by a master tech) needless to say the piston cracked and shaved the cylinder wall and the head got pretty banged up too. Now i have decided to make this car into a project.

I want to start with rebuilding a motor with much nicer components. I'm curious to what parts i can use off the motor i have now and what i need to buy. I figured i would find a block and head and build from that.

I don't have the money to dump and buy everything at once but i can get things in steps and make it a learning experience. I am open to ideas and suggestions.

Zach
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '98 900SE vert stg3+
    You could probably just buy a running engine from a different '00-'02 9-3 and save yourself a lot of work and money. Or better yet, find an engine from a '94-'98 900 or '99 9-3, and convert your engine management system to T5...that would be a fun project, and has been done before.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 SE HoT, 2003 9-5 Aero.
    yea i am leaning towards just buying a running motor. my vin shows high output, i dont know the difference between a low out and high out. and what would i gain with t5 ?

Zach
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '98 900SE vert stg3+
    Engines with T5 engine management are considerably more robust and flexible than T7 engines. It is definitely an undertaking though.

A high output car just means it is tuned for a little more power. You can buy a low output or high output engine, they are identical. What turbo do you currently have on the car?