Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    04 9-3 ARC
    hey, i was wondering the speaker wattage ratings, are those for rms or peak?

Saab(s)
    93 convertible
    I thing it is describe in link www links. But important is sensitivity and impedance no wattage!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    04 9-3 ARC
    Quote Originally Posted by texmur View Post
    I thing it is describe in link www links. But important is sensitivity and impedance no wattage!
    i cant find where your saying. i know the impedance of them, but what im trying to do is to get an aftermarket amp to match the wattage of the stock speakers, and it would help to know if those are peak ratings or rms.

Saab(s)
    93 convertible
    so aftermarket speakers is number on them peak wattage. But be very carreful to play loudly on aftermarket speakers - there are low quality and you can blow them!

Tim Schlose
    Saab(s)
    2007 9,3 Aero S/C
    Speakers are rated in the capacity to handle power, measured in watts. So, a speaker that is rated to 100 watts can handle a power input of 100 watts of electrical energy. It's important to understand that watts are not a measure of volume, so a speaker rated to 100 watts will not necessarily play more loudly than a speaker rated to 75 watts. Many speakers will have a rating for "peak" power, measured in watts, and "RMS" power, measured in watts. A peak power rating measures the ability of the speaker to handle a short burst of power, while the RMS rating indicates how much power the speaker can handle for a long period of time, or for continuous operation. Manufacturers will often play up the peak power rating of a speaker, but it's better to use the RMS rating as a guide. I hope that helps.

Tim

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 T
    My hat is off to the original poster. This thread and others like it are invaluable. My question is whether or not there is actually cross-over circuitry going on PRIOR to the speakers themselves? I have a 2006 9-3 T with the standard 7-speaker system, and I'd like to replace all speakers at once. This thread suggests that the in-door woofers only receive a low-pass signal. Do we know this to be true? How about the three in-dash speakers? Are they receiving full spectrum audio or only mid and high frequencies? Some have suggested I buy a very high quality pair of speakers, like German Maestro brand, and put the woofers in the door and their respective tweeters in place of the R/L in-dash existing speakers. This seems a bad idea if the existing speakers are full spectrum -- providing some bass and some mid, too. I bought the car at 12,000 miles and am now at 98,000. I won't keep it all that much longer, so I don't want to get too crazy. I strongly value accurate reproduction of music. I hate artificial ("mega") bass. Sounds like the Infinity Reference was doing just that, which doesn't surprise me. I listen to a lot of jazz and don't generally blast music. Speaker suggestions welcomed as the Boston Acoustics and Polk Audio's recommended earlier in this thread (years ago) are no longer made, doh!

Ryan

Saab(s)
    93 convertible
    unfortunately no speaker has full spectrum signal :-(

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 T
    Are you saying this in a "matter of physics" way or are you trying to say that there are high and low-pass filters on each of the five speaker wires? I'm simply trying to understand if 2-way speakers are really necessary in the front dash. I'd also like to know how line-level audio is best supplied to the rear deck area?? I don't have an amp there now, but might opt to add one in the future, to supply two 6x9" rear deck speakers. If 2-way speakers are recommended for dash, I'd love to know what people are using these days.

Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 Linear (gone), 2003 9-3 Arc (current)

How about the actual Ampa?

Hi,

I've seen a lot of good info about changing out speakers, but not much about the amps. I have the 13 speaker system, and my Amp1 under the seat is acting up. It still 'works' but crackles when i turn the volume knob, bass or treble knobs.. really anything. So I was wondering.. what if I wanted to 'pump it up' a bit? Like instead of just the 80w a$$-pain under the front seat, what about something 'bigger/better' ? Anyone messed with the actual amps at all? Also I don't think I'm getting the bass out of the 150w amp2 and two 6x9's in the back. Any advice? What about adding an amped subwoofer back there?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
    (Saab newbie)