Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    I had 25% on the rear and 20% on the front of my NG900, and with the black interior it made for a cave back there, hard to even see dirt on the floor on a sunny day. I think it was a near perfect combination, on a car with a lighter color interior it would be even better.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Arc Wagon 3.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    I never got it done but still on my list to have it done some day. But I have been thinking that for a few years now so don't wait for it. Curious to see how it will look on yours.
    I just got the wagon, so you're right - better get it done this weekend or it will never happen. I think I'm going with a 3M Color Stable 20% all around. More for the rave reviews of the installer than the product itself. Decent price - $300 for a nine window wagon. I'll put pics up when I get a chance.

For those that are thinking about it, a tip - instead of assuming G---pon or some other local deal site will have the best deal, just call the shop you want (found mine through THE big local review site) and just get a regular quote. The shop that did my other cars (mediocre ratings on that review site, but we're generally happy) quoted me $450 even with the local "50% off" deal using a lesser known brand. Seemed high, which caused me to call the top 5 reviewed shops and they all quoted me in the $275-$400 range, without any kind of "special" internet deal.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Arc Wagon 3.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    I had 25% on the rear and 20% on the front of my NG900, and with the black interior it made for a cave back there, hard to even see dirt on the floor on a sunny day. I think it was a near perfect combination, on a car with a lighter color interior it would be even better.
    Thanks! Looks really nice.

Anyone else with recent tint pics on the 9-5 wagon? If so, please post and tell me what you had put on.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    When mine was done, it was $200 for the whole car (front+rear windows, back window and little quarter windows). That was with some 3M tint that was guaranteed for life to not turn purple, and the shop guaranteed for life that their work would not bubble. The next level up was ~$300 and was guaranteed to not fade. After having my windows tinted for 6 years, I never noticed any fading. Even after friends had gotten the same tint, X years later.

But, here in New York, we have pretty strict tinting laws. After three tickets for window tint, I said screw it and spent a day taking the tint off. It wasn't too hard, just required a $20 walmart clothing steamer. But, you have to use a razor blade to get the last few bits off glue off. Because of the razor blade, I left the back window tinted. Looks a bit strange, but can't get a ticket for that.

So, overall, make sure the tint you get will not purple and will not bubble. Nothing makes it look cheap and crappy like those two common symptoms. Also, check with your laws if you care about that stuff. At first, I didn't. But over the years the tickets got more expensive. $75, and the next year $125, and then in a different county it was $200. That $200 ticket was the last straw.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Mine cost $250 in Alaska, which should be $200-220 down south.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I removed the tint on my 9-3 as well (pictured earlier) and was much more work than expected. The film was easy, the adhesive residue a real pain to get off. Wouldn't want to do that again so that's why I may be ab it hesitant to get window tint again.

This 9-3X is posted in the Marketplace and has tint all around, including the front windshield. Looks great and practical for Arizona and other southern states but probably not practical in northern states on a cloudy / winter day. Probably also not legal in many states.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Yes - tinting the windshield IS illegal in the state of PA - you can only tint the top 3-4 inches of the glass.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Is that illegal for vehicles registered in PA (or any other state with this law) or out-of-state vehicles as well? Something to consider when you tint your front windows and visit other states.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Arc Wagon 3.0T
    Definitely need to think about the different tint laws. I also have another soccer mom/dad vehicle with 20% all around. Haven't been stopped yet, but it's probably a matter of time. I can only hope the Saab gets the same lack of attention from the police.

I type this as I'm waiting at the tint shop. This shop offers free tint removal for fix it tickets. Will post some quick before and afters when I get a chance.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Arc Wagon 3.0T
    Job took about 3.5 hours. They did a great job. Tip - get there first in line. I could tell they were starting to get tired working on the cars that came after me. Not sure if that affects the outcome, but I'm glad I got there right when they opened.

Before: Soccer games here we come.
    Name:  Pre-Tint Side.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  35.3 KB

After: I think I may need to pull that wagon over to see what mischief is going on.
    Name:  Post-Tint Side.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  32.2 KB
    3M Color Stable 20% all around. 35% would have been too light for my tastes. 27% would have been perfect (and generally legal), but they don't make that in the 3M Color Stable. The pattern on the tint is a cool cirrocumulus cloud above.