Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Bike carriers

I would like to get a bike rack that fits on the Saab square crossbars for the wagon. I don't use it that often but removing the front wheel, put the seats down and try to slide it in the back is becoming a bit of a hassle. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This one from Saab seems pretty nice for about $100.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I wouldn't get that Saab one. It's merely the Thule Big Mouth with a different bottom rail/tray. I have that, and it's the one no one wants to use because the latch system wore out fast and really hard to use. If you want to keep the front wheel on, I'd look at the Thule Criterium or the Thule Sidearm. I like the Criterium a little bit better (tad easier to use), but both are great. The bike holder that I use the most is the Thule Peloton. It's a tad easier to put your bike up (a wheel is off, so the bike is lighter, and you don't have to lift it quite as high), and I think the bike is a bit more stable for a longer trip; not that the others are even close to unstable. You do have to take the front wheel off though, which I don't mind because I got a Wheel On (put the wheel on the roof), but could mean you have a dirty or muddy wheel rolling around in your trunk.

I don't have anything against Yakima, just never used it.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    05 9⁵ AERO, 05 9⁵ AERO Combi
    I have the one pictured but not saab branded. Just the Thule Bigmouth. I actually have two. I am by no means a avid cyclist but just a recreational rider. I have not had any issues with the bike holder.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I am a recreational rider as well. I like paddling around and just enjoy being outside. I am not a hardcore mountain biker or wear gear like I am training for the Tour de France.

I don't mind taking off the front wheel as it only takes seconds and easily fits in the back. You have a valid point you won't need to lift it as high without the wheel.

I also have a bike rack that fits into a hitch receiver. Unfortunately, I don't have a hitch anymore and it is kind of a hassle because you can't open the tailgate with that mounted. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into to those.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    I have a very old Yakima and I have to say it's very solid. I use it to carry a heavy commuter bike (fenders, mudflaps, girlfriend-carrier, headlights--the classic Dutch setup) when I move state to state. Even though you have to remove the front wheel, this takes next to no time with quick releases and only a bit of time with nutted axles. The only thing to note is, with fenders in the way, you may have to loosen the front fender to get the bike to fit. Racks with a lower front mount exacerbate this problem. The Yakima Copperhead raises the fork up a bit for more clearance, but if you don't have fenders, this becomes a non-issue. I also have a "fork" on the roof allowing me to carry the wheel outside the car if I so wish.

I've used both Yakima and Thule, and as far as I can tell, the only difference between the two is that Yakima uses round crossbars and Thule uses square. This has its advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't use a "two-piece" system like the Yakima Boa, because I'd be afraid it would twist on the Yakima rack bars during travel. On the same note, I love my Yakima ski rack because I can fold down the ski holders by rotating them around the round bars.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by psymon View Post
    I have the one pictured but not saab branded. Just the Thule Bigmouth. I actually have two. I am by no means a avid cyclist but just a recreational rider. I have not had any issues with the bike holder.
    We've had the rack for 4 or 5 years maybe, and the round twist nob is all worn down so when you go to tighten the clamp, it takes 10000000 tries to get it to stay clamped, while all the others seem to use "twist" systems that I can't see how the would wear out. I'm an avid mountain biker, and so are my brothers, so it gets [got] A LOT of use. Now it's only used when we have a fourth person come along.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig