Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by Saabhat93 View Post
    Not gonna lie. It looks like another boring GM SUV to me. I doubt I would have even noticed that it was a Saab had I seen it on the road. :/ Unfortunate because I'd really like to be interested in the new products Saab devlops.
    I don't want to be a hater, but I agree with this. I don't see what makes it a Saab, besides the grill.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    So what does make a Saab a Saab when it comes to styling? Some say the clamshell hood is a Saab design cue but I think it looks terrible on the current 9-3. However, it looks great on the previous 9-5 and C900.

The 9-4X and 9-5 have similar styling cues in the back as well. The good thing is it doesn't look like an SRX at all.

Neil Richardson
    Saab(s)
    '88 c900T, '88 c900 SPG, '94 9000 Aero
    Original, innovative designs are what make Saabs Saabs. This looks like another Chevy equinox or trailblazer or whatever they're branding them as this year. The new 9-5 at least kind of looks like a Saab in profile and the rear end. It's the curves and lines that really bring out the Saabness of a new car, like the characteristic hatch/notch shape of the c900 or the aerodynamic sweep of the 96. No other car even comes close to the shape of a Saab, and that's what made them stand apart so wonderfully.

Saabishness is a wholly unique shape and I feel that after the OG 9-3 stopped being made in 2003 I feel it has been lost.

To beat a very dead horse: bring back the hatch.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    So what does make a Saab a Saab when it comes to styling? Some say the clamshell hood is a Saab design cue but I think it looks terrible on the current 9-3. However, it looks great on the previous 9-5 and C900.

The 9-4X and 9-5 have similar styling cues in the back as well. The good thing is it doesn't look like an SRX at all.
    It's not just one set of styling cues that makes a SAAB a SAAB. It's fluid, changing, and unique. The Hatter puts it best:
    Quote Originally Posted by Saabhat93
    Original, innovative designs are what make Saabs Saabs.
    I agree.

I'd go further and say that it's not just styling, but also the technology that lies beneath. SAAB used sodium-cooled valves and multi-valve engines before they were widely accepted. It's too bad they didn't also pioneer direct injection turbocharged gasoline engines--Ford is now making them, but SAAB had the technology (Trionic engine management and a unique blend of knowledge and experience) in the mid-'90s. Another SAAB hallmark is the innovatively-designed chassis--after all, who else makes a FWD car with dual control arms? They had lots of factory extras and a plethora of weird wheel designs (thankfully this has not been phased out). It would be nice to see a SAAB chassis on the rally scene again. Even if it's not a factory team. But I think they'd need a smaller, nimbler car to accomplish this.

Also, to me, SAABs have a certain sort of reliability that other cars don't. For example, most other cars have their brake and fuel lines routed below the floor, exposed to the elements. SAAB put them under the carpet. Brilliant! I didn't know how easy I had it until I had to crawl under a Chevrolet to fix a fuel leak. Same thing for Toyotas. If you want a SAAB-specific styling cue, take a look under a classic SAAB. You'll notice it's pretty flat, with no place for rust to start. Look for spot-welded seams and marvel at how few there are exposed to the elements.

Finally, there are little "oh that's cool!" flourishes that I think new SAABs could use. How about a metal shift gate? Or some buttons and knobs that feel robust and heavy? Or anything made of aluminum extrusion? Door handles, maybe? Anything to contribute to the "well-built" feel.

Put this all together and you get a car that is moderately reliable and good-enough looking to the right people. How subjective. More importantly, you get a car that ages well. Timeless exceptionalism--to me, that's what makes a SAAB a SAAB.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    so I have a question about the 9-4. if this being produce in the US by GM?

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
    so I have a question about the 9-4. if this being produce in the US by GM?
    Yes. And no.

It's being built in Mexico alongside it's GM platform mate, the Cadillac SRX. The 9-4 benefits from some extra time tweaking this and that.

That said, I have yet to see a 9-4x in the wild. I know Just Saab is waiting on delivery as I type this. They expected them yesterday, looks like it'll be Monday.

AJ, Just Saabs sales manager, brought up an interesting point. We can track a $20 package all the way to our front door using UPS or Fed Ex, but try to track a truckload of $35,000 cars...........

Matt
    Saab(s)
    No Saabs :(... Just a Forester Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by chemosaaby View Post
    I'm in Michigan too, and I only just saw my first new 9-5 last week. It'll probably be another 6 months before I get to see a 9-4x in the wild. Thanks for sharing your pics tho. And nice wagon of your own, btw.
    The rate at which people buy Crossovers compared to very large sedans (In the USA at least), I would not be surprised if the 9-4x sales easily surpass those of the 9-5 and we start seeing them relatively regularly. I have still only seen 2 9-5's in the wild.
    The 9-4x actually starts at a very reasonable price too, Starting at $33,380.. And thats before incentives. By comparison the 9-5 starts at $38,500

So if you compare what you exactly get for the money against the 9-5. the 9-4x has, to the onlooker, more power, more interior room, its an SUV so u get the ride height bonus, and you wont look silly towing something with it... All for a significantly cheaper price.
    I think its going to sell very well. (IMO, the interior and exterior are much better as well.)