Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post

Barring that, ABARTH ESSESSE
    Oh yeah ?? Well I like the Audi TEETEE AR-ESSE

"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    This thread is about cars you actually could afford or wish you could afford within limits. If I were really wealthy, I wouldn't bother with a Mustang, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
    Oh there was a budget limit ???
    Yeah, it's not one of those threads about dream cars we wish we could buy. Those threads are just very depressing. Perhaps the thread title should have read "Which car would you buy under $30K / EUR 30K" or something like that.

I think a car like a Ford Fiesta or Fiat 500 could be a lot of fun without breaking the bank. I always wanted a Golf GTI as well.

Saab(s)
    YI think a car like a Ford Fiesta or Fiat 500 could be a lot of fun without breaking the bank. I always wanted a Golf GTI as well.
    Seen about 10 or so Fiat 500s in the past month already. Cute, but can I live with one long term ? Dunno. Unless it comes with a Hello Kitty dash doll

I could live with a Focus hatchback. But that tailight is overdone, looks like it's giving me "the finger". I'll take an ST if N. America ever gets it

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Yeah, it's not one of those threads about dream cars we wish we could buy. Those threads are just very depressing. Perhaps the thread title should have read "Which car would you buy under $30K / EUR 30K" or something like that.

I think a car like a Ford Fiesta or Fiat 500 could be a lot of fun without breaking the bank. I always wanted a Golf GTI as well.
    I'm liking the Fiesta more and more and like Ken I'd love to see the ST version in NA. I have yet to see a 500 on the road.

I had an 04 GTI VR6 6spd and I liked it a lot. I would have taken it to Denmark, but the cost of registering and insuring it was astronomical, about 2/3 the cost of the car when it was new. It was a hell of a lot of car for the money(just over $24k) and the fit and finish was on par with BMW and it had an almost Audi-esque level of luxury.

Of course, the VW purists hated that generation of the Golf/GTI. They said the VR6 was too heavy and luxurious.

The only thing I didn't like about it were all the electronic safety nannies. If I remember correctly, the stability control couldn't be turned off, but the TC could. All in all it was a fun car. I haven't driven the new one yet and I think its kind of ugly, but I'd give it a chance.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch View Post
    It was a hell of a lot of car for the money(just over $24k) and the fit and finish was on par with BMW and it had an almost Audi-esque level of luxury.
    My dad has a Jetta SportWagen TDI, and it's a great car. The fit and finish is just as great! The car was $27k, has a glass roof/sun roof, one of the best stock stereo systems I've heard, gets about 40 mpg going 75 mph, and handles like a roller skate! I love the car, but the brakes are a bit touchy, and the gas pedal has a bit of a lag which leads to a sudden burst of acceleration, or can be scary if you are trying to pull into traffic quickly. The leather isn't real, but I actually like it better! Easier to clean, seems more rugged, feels like the softest leather ever, and looks like it too!

I'm just amazed VW can offer that car at that price (the base Jetta wagon starts at 20k), yet the absolute cheapest 9-3 wagon is a tad over 30k. Sure it comes with real leather seating surfaces​ and is a bit bigger, but where is that other 10k? Sure it's a nice car, and I'd love to have one, but I honestly think the fit and finish, some materials, and performance is lacking for a car priced in that range. I love Saab, but look at the competition!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    My dad has a Jetta SportWagen TDI, and it's a great car. The fit and finish is just as great! The car was $27k, has a glass roof/sun roof, one of the best stock stereo systems I've heard, gets about 40 mpg going 75 mph, and handles like a roller skate! I love the car, but the brakes are a bit touchy, and the gas pedal has a bit of a lag which leads to a sudden burst of acceleration, or can be scary if you are trying to pull into traffic quickly. The leather isn't real, but I actually like it better! Easier to clean, seems more rugged, feels like the softest leather ever, and looks like it too!

I'm just amazed VW can offer that car at that price (the base Jetta wagon starts at 20k), yet the absolute cheapest 9-3 wagon is a tad over 30k. Sure it comes with real leather seating surfaces​ and is a bit bigger, but where is that other 10k? Sure it's a nice car, and I'd love to have one, but I honestly think the fit and finish, some materials, and performance is lacking for a car priced in that range. I love Saab, but look at the competition!
    Yeah, I forgot to mention the Monsoon sound system in the GTI. It rocked. The leather seats were as comfortable as my 9-3 and I loved the soft touch dash. The blue instrument panel lighting looked cool as well.

Unfortunately, from what I've read the Jetta and Golf have been cheapened considerably for the next generation. The new Passat looks great, but you can't get a wagon anymore.

When we were looking at cars the GTI wasn't even on my list. I looked at the Mazda 3 and 6 wagon and a a Toyota Matrix XRS(pissed me off that I couldn't get the HP engine, MT and AWD). I was pretty set on the 3, but after my wife rode in it she convinced me to look at VWs. I'm glad I did. Like you I can't believe how much car there is for the money. Even the R32 was about $28K, but I didn't think I'd want to drive it every day.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch View Post
    Unfortunately, from what I've read the Jetta and Golf have been cheapened considerably for the next generation. The new Passat looks great, but you can't get a wagon anymore.
    My dad test drove the new Jetta. He said it was just plain bland, and compared to the Jetta SportWagen, it seemed cheap. I sat in one, and it's a decent car, but the previous one is so much better.

I forgot, maybe I could find one of these still on the lot... best VW wagon ever (save the Type 3).

An ex-girlfriends's best friend had one of these puppies. After getting in one, I didn't get the point of spending the extra cash on an Audi!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    This is hot and supposedly it's a go for N. America! Buick Regal Sport Wagon!

I can see this in my garage in a few years.

Saab(s)
    We need a real man's wagon, the Impala SS (B-body), hauls tons of stuff and hauls ass ....

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    If you could ever get the body roll under control.