Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Which new car would you buy?

Regardless if it is a Saab or not, which new car currently available would you buy?

The 9-3 is end of life and dated and the new 9-5 is a bit too big for me. The 9-4X is high on my list but is not available in any numbers yet. And a bit too expensive new as well.

I am strangely attracted to the Buick Regal.. I never thought I would think about a Buick like that.

Up to now, they have been manufactured in Germany but they are going to be made in Ontario in the future. The turbo has 220hp and sells for about US$30K, the same as a Saab 9-3. But it's a bigger and more modern car.

Perhaps put on an Opel grill and badge? The Buick grill doesn't look too bad, actually. Seriously, if I was in the market for a new car, it would be high on my list. One made in Germany, of course. If GM still owned Saab, the new 9-3 could have been based on the Insignia?

The wagon would be pretty cool.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    I hope my 2005 9-3 does not get into a collision because it cannot be replaced. The current 9-3 is not quite as good as the 2005 model year. The horsepower output is a little higher but the big grill doesn't look as nice, there are no body side moldings, and the dashboard is nice but not as good.

I suppose Saab could consider a related question, which is what are the competitors to the 9-3?

If I had to replace my Saab, I would consider the following. Some of them, I might rule out soon after considering them.

Saab 9-3
    Saab 9-3 SportCombi
    BMW 328i, 328Xi, 328i wagon, 328Xi wagon
    Audi A4, A4 wagon, maybe A3
    Volkswagen Passat
    Acura TSX
    Subaru Impreza, Legacy, WRX
    Mazda 6 (probably not)
    Buick Regal
    Ford Taurus

BMW would probably be insulted knowing that someone considering a 3 series would also consider a Subaru Impreza!

When I bought my 9-3, I was considering a Volvo S60. Now, I'm not so excited about it because Geely is the parent company.

Addendum: Addendum: I looked over some of the cars' websites. I "built" an Audi A3 for $28,620 and a Buick Regal for $29,235, including a 6 speed manual and 2.0 litre turbo. That car would probably have a zero resale value as elderly people who buy Buicks won't want a manual. The Subaru Impreza 5-door came out to $20,550, BMW 328Xi wagon to $42,867, which is quite a bit more than the Subaru. Lastly, the Saab 9-3 2.0T with a manual, no sunroof, comes to $30,200. Without driving the cars, these 5 seem to be the top 5 of my above list, in no particular order.

I am a bit wary of AWD because of the need to buy four tires if there is a puncture. Either that or find a rare place that will shave a new tire to the depth of the other 3 tires. I like the Buick name but am uncertain about the actual car. The name makes me think of the era when Buick was one of the best cars on the road. Wasn't that in the 1930's? The BMW name is nice, too.
    Last edited by Dave T; 21 June 2011 at 01:23.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    after ten years with the Opel Omega I thought to get a small car like the 93 Saab. Now I have two old cars, out of technology fashion.
    a ten years old car in Spain don't worth nothing, is an old car.

the Opel Insignia is a nice car but too big like the Opel Omega&95 Saab and for me and my wife I prefer an Opel Astra GTC, 2.0TDI (48 MPG fuel efficiency)
    Opel Media - Europe - Astra GTC

Name:  AstraGTC_21670811.damimg.refattrib-imageref.w_500.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  29.4 KB

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    That Regal wagon is sexy!! Did I just say that?

I need some time to think about this.

OK.

If price were no object, I'd have my dream car. A 911 Turbo.

But since I live in the real world and have 2 growing kids....

I like the new 9-5 Wagon. It is big, but it doesn't feel big.
    New 9-3 SportCombi.
    The new Passat looks good, but I don't think they're making a wagon version of it. Shame.
    The 3 series wagon isn't big enough, same for the Audi A4 Avant.
    BMW is not selling the 5 series wagon in the US anymore and Volvo has killed off the last of their wagons, the V50.
    CTS wagon.

IF Infiniti made a wagon version of the G37, it would be on the list. Same for the Ford Fusion. Had we stayed n Europe, I'd likely be a Mondeo wagon owner.
    Last edited by Hirsch; 20 June 2011 at 22:57.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I've got no means to buy a new car, but my "reasonable" choices would be:
    Golf TDI

Or, the CC

Volvo C30

Subaru WRX Hatchback (worth a look... AWD, great performance, but cheap interior)

And most definitely the 9-3 Wagon and/or 9-3x
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    There is something to say for a 400+hp RWD Coupe for $30K. That really is a lot of car for the money.

Perhaps it's time for me to go through my midlife crisis.

2011 BMW M3 Coupe vs. 2011 Ford Mustang GT Comparison - Motor Trend

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Lol, new cars My c900 is the best there will ever be, and I'll drive it until the day I die, blah blah blah...

But seriously, my only experience with new cars leads me to like Fords, particularly the Fiesta, Transit Connect, and Ranger, three of the most utilitarian vehicles I've ever met, and soon to be available with EcoBoost turbocharged direct injected gasoline engines in sensible displacements like 1.6L, and maybe even smaller.

Sure, the three cars I've mentioned are somewhat ugly and small, but they're well-made, fun to drive, and efficient, and that counts for lots more in my book. Besides, the Fiesta with EcoBoost should be as fast as a c900 T16
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    I've got no means to buy a new car, but ...
    My choices above would be the same even if I were rich. If I were as rich as Bill Gates, there would be a security requirement so maybe something like the Presidential Beast would be desired. I'm not sure how much the Beast would cost but if I was worth over $50B like Bill, I'd spend up to $50M on the Beast. Maybe it would be cheaper without the capability to launch nuclear war or to protect against poison gas?

If I were rich on the order of $50M, I still might pick the same choices except have a speedy car for fun.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    This thread is about cars you actually could afford or wish you could afford within limits. If I were really wealthy, I wouldn't bother with a Mustang, for example.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    My cousin just bought a 2012 Mustang Boss 302.

440hp.

And it'll lap Laguna Seca faster than a 911.