Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jared
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 ARC ( and care-taker of a '98 900SE)
    I bought a gravity gun at Harbor Freight tonight. It was only $15 and its actually pretty nice. (Had my dad check it out and he said it will be great for what I'm doing). So yeah, heads up on cheap spray guns at Harbor Freight.
    I don't drive fast...I fly slow

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Make sure to clean the piss out of it. It's not fun cleaning a gun that you left the paint to dry in.

Also, if you haven't mixed paint before, it might be worth a trip to the local library and picking up a book on painting cars and such, or seeing if you can find some body parts from a scrap yard to have a swing at first.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Jared
    Saab(s)
    My dad just bought a lawnmower trailer for $10, and he told me to practice on that. Also, my grandpa used to paint cars for a living.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    My dad just bought a lawnmower trailer for $10, and he told me to practice on that. Also, my grandpa used to paint cars for a living.
    Perfect!

When someone hit my ex-girlfriends car, I asked the body shop if I could keep the old and dented panel so I could practice getting out the small dents it had, and then I would practice a re-spray. I never got the damn panel.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    make sure you get a good vibe from the guy mixing your paint. Also, any big paint store can too (got Sherwin Williams down there?), and most people that work there tend to know more about paint than I find at the autoparts places.
    Yeah, I should have mentioned that I know my Napa paint guy by first name, and we trade car stories on a regular basis. Not your typical arrangement I guess. But I've had really good success with rattle cans. Like Shazam says, you've got to be very careful. For clogging and evenness, the new tips they have are so much better than the older ones.

Another reason I recommended rattle cans is because you're just painting a body kit. The coverage on a paint gun is usually rather wide, so you'll have to choke down the spray pattern a lot so you aren't spraying half the paint over the edges, and I've often found that I have to wait quite a while for my compressor to catch up. Your mileage may vary, of course, and I realize that I was in a unique situation with my Napa guys caring a bit more about me than the average customer.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Jared
    Saab(s)
    Just got off the phone with a guy from Napa and he said I'd need, at most, a quart of paint, and suggested I also get some clear coat, clear coat hardener, and something else I can't remember and he said everything would come up to be about $100. Sound right, or can I get cheaper clear? Do I really need the hardener? He said the paint would be about $34, clear would be $29, and the hardener would be $13, and the other thing he said made up the difference.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    One of the most important things to stress is the tack coat. Prior to laying down the color you just mist it and let it set to almost dry prior to the actual painting. Way less runs that way.

After pass and a pause ... the next shot is always off to the side to make sure the nozzle hasn't clogged or is spittingl
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Is a reducer (thinner) the other thing he said you'll need?

If you don't use a hardener, the clear coat will stay soft and can peel off rather easily. The hardener gets the clear coat to harden up which means it sticks better to the car and gives it better protection too.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Jared
    Saab(s)
    Yeah, I think it was thinner. I might go down there today and get the paint mixed up.

I know of Overstock. It is known for its good quality products. You can find all kinds of car accessories over there. Car paint Kit is also available(I just checked) and at discounted prices