Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ruben K
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-3 Turbo4. My dream SAABs : 9-3 Turbo X, 900, Sonnet III

Question 1st Car , a SAAB?

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]Hey guys. I'm on the look out for my 1st car. I've always loved SAABs since I was a kid. I was thinking why not a SAAB 9-3 04-08 (Any of those would do). I'm just worried about the cost of repair, if something does happen (God forbid) to the engine or even the car itself; how expensive would it be to fix up? Thanks Guys![/FONT]

Jared
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 ARC ( and care-taker of a '98 900SE)
    Welcome! Saab's make great first cars! I know my car has not been that expensive to work on and it's very simple to work on myself. Not sure about the 9-3, as I own a 9-5, though. If you're not into the whole working on it yourself thing, just find a trustworthy independent mechanic. Dealers charge ridiculous rates on these. I can say that if you are looking at 9-3's stay away from 2003's. They had a lot of gremlins in them being the first year for the new model. If you decide to look at 9-5's look for a 2004 or newer Aero or Arc.

My Saab is my first car and I've had it almost 3 years and I'm a Saab lover for life. These cars are truly special and you'll be hooked forever.

But to help us better suggest the right Saab for you what are wanting from the car? Being you're probably 16 or 17, I suspect sportiness is high on the list.
    I don't drive fast...I fly slow

Ruben K
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the welcoming! Yes, I just got my license and the folks home really want me to drive (So I'm less dependent on them). Being from a city where all you see on the road are BM's and Benz's, it just gets really old and annoying. The things I want in a car is reliability, style (SAABs are beautiful, I break my neck every time I see a new 9-5; usually rare), handling (Something that my Mom's A4 does really well), and just an overall good driving experience. Sportiness isn't a must, but it is welcome . There are about 2 SAAB independent mechanics in the city, so that really isn't a problem. Thanks!

Jared
    Saab(s)
    Not sure if you watch Top Gear or not, but Jeremy Clarkson said the 9-5 Aero is "impossible to crash" because of how well it handles. I'm a little biased toward the 9-5 because I own one, but almost can't go wrong with a 2004-2005 9-5 Aero. They're relitively cheap, easy to work on, decently reliable (I mean it's not a Honda, but it's still reliable), and I love driving mine. I have a smile on my face every time I drive it, and it's an impressive car for a first car.

Though the 9-3 supposedly handles better with it's passive rear steering. I just prefer the interior of the 9-5 over the 9-3. I came very close to buying at 9-3, but the interior on the 9-5 swayed me over.

(Hope you don't mind me using your pic, Wulf)

Last edited by J-Rod; 07 July 2011 at 02:55.

Ruben K
    Saab(s)
    Those are really nice. On the question of space ; is there a large difference between the 9-5 and the 9-3? I'm guessing the second photo is of a 9-3? And what trim would come with that same exact interior?

Jared
    Saab(s)
    The second one is just another a 9-5. Most will look like the second one. The first one is the super rare sport-tech interior or something like that. The 9-3 will look like this:

2003-2006:

2007-2011:

(Shown with optional navigation)

There is a huge difference in space between the 9-3 and 9-5. I'm about 5'10" and with my seat comfortably set to me, my dad who is about 6' tall has plenty of room behind me. In the 9-3 I test drove, he barely fit behind me. The trunk is huge too. I play golf, and it's easy to fit 4 sets of clubs back there.

Jared
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDriver View Post
    Those are really nice. On the question of space ; is there a large difference between the 9-5 and the 9-3? I'm guessing the second photo is of a 9-3? And what trim would come with that same exact interior?
    The Aero would be the only one that would come with that interior.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    A 9-3 isn't much smaller than a A4. Ever been in a Jetta (not the current one, but any of the ones before it)? It's about the same size, maybe a bit more in the front seats and a tad bigger trunk.

If you want a 9-3, they are a bit sportier than a 9-5, smaller, and a bit less luxurious. Stay away from 2003 models, as they had some bugs, but they were ironed about by 2004 model. I would personally look for a 2007, as it was the last year before the facelift.

They are reliable cars, but do require regular maintenance just like any other car, so if it's been neglected, expect to have some problems.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Ruben K
    Saab(s)
    [FONT=Times]I'm the same height as you and space is something I never really thought of. If there is a considerably size difference then I think a 9-5 would do it. Most of my family and friends are 5'8 -6'0 anyway, so that would be a definite plus.[/FONT]

Ruben K
    Saab(s)
    The thing is most of the time I drive alone. So I see why the 9-3 would have an edge. The 9-5 seems (correct my ignorance, if I'm wrong) more like a Family sedan.