Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

What's your philosophy on cars? New, used, Saab, not a Saab, etc.

Everyone has a different philosophy on cars but everyone here came up with the same solution, Saab.

After seeing the new member thread, I thought of this thread.

Daily philosophy:
    My philosophy on cars is that I want a new car. It's not the cheapest choice. I don't mind an old car but I want to have driven it since it was new. I got my car when the odometer read 1.6 miles.

I don't baby the car. I am not constantly washing and waxing it but bird droppings are promptly washed the same day and even within the hour as I have some big cups in the car.

Things are fixed or changed promptly or on schedule. So far, I've not spent a cent on repairs on my 2005 9-3 except for tires, batteries, wipers, headlight bulbs, and routine maintenance. Oh, I have spent some money stocking up on a few parts.

Philosophy on picking a car:
    Safety, being practical, and fun to drive are basic requirements. Good winter capability is also somewhat important. Having good ergonomics, such as a well designed dashboard and good seats are important. I am a little of a snob and prefer not to drive a few brands, such as Hyundai. It's nice if the car was built in certain countries. On my A list is several Western European countries, Canada, US, Australia. Thailand, Brazil, and South Africa are also ok. Taiwan, which calls itself the Republic of China, is ok but mainland China is not ok (sorry, Youngman).

Saab(s)
    2002 9 5 Aero
    All my cars have been used. Since they devaluate so fast, buying a car is the opposite to an investment and money is not hanging around to spend on a new car with the prices they tag these days. Of course they would be new if I had enough money, but that is not going to happen anytime soon, I am afraid.. I am lucky enough to enjoy a friendship with the mechanic and seller of used cars I buy them from, so trust (main issue when looking for a used car) is assured.

I neither baby my car, though I try to keep her clean and tidy. It´s been five and a half years with the Aero now and no issues have arisen besides regular maintenance.

I will join Dave´s ranks as I am a bit of a snob too regarding brands. I discovered SAAB eight years ago with the 9K and I instantly fell in love with the brand, so I fully intend to stick to the Swedish brand as long as feasible. Alfa and Lancia come as a possible substitute. Audi´s got a very good brand looks for quality and technology, though I am not really into it. Power, safety and design are important to me.

And last but not least, the car I choose has to meet the eye of the wife. She likes the car, the car is in. She doesn´t and....Fortunately she liked the Aero a lot!.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    I was fortunate that I always had a "company car" in the driveway but it had a lot of restrictions so it was not to be driven weekends so to speak.

The first rule was that wifey had a new and safe car and her choice was always Saab.

The second rule was that if you had a reliable but aging car, just keep it with minimal insurance. Part of this comes from the paranoia of not having money when I was younger but always had a few junkers I was working on or patching up. Usually an old MG or 914 in some state of rusting or damage but there was always a "fall back" car almost ready to roll.

With my current "primary" car I tried to make it do "all things" and the perfect car would have been a Turbo X Combi but that was too expensive so the compromise was a 280 Combi XWD bought used. I like it but there is still a void that needs to be filled as irrational as that sounds. It does a lot of things well, but is missing something?
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I don't baby the car. I am not constantly washing and waxing it but bird droppings are promptly washed the same day and even within the hour as I have some big cups in the car.
    On second thought, maybe I do? Wheels are washed every 2 weeks and the rest of the outside usually gets a spray of water at the time, but no rag or rubbing. The inside dash gets dusted every 1-2 weeks.

Buying a used car does save quite a bit of money. A 3 year old car is considerable cheaper than new. One strange reason that I don't like new cars is that it takes a while to break in the car. I sort of overdo it driving with varying speeds and never fast for about 6 months. One reason that I don't trade in my 6 year old car is that it still performs like a new car but has little resale value (and trading it in would cause 6 months of anguish as I break in a new car). The rattles have not yet begun but I expect that to change as it is long overdue. My 1990 Saab 900 (classic 900) developed a door rattle in 1992 that was only partly fixed.

Jared
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 ARC ( and care-taker of a '98 900SE)
    I'm all about buying used. The only thing good about buying new, IMO, is the warranty. I would be much happier driving an older luxury over a new eco-box any day.
    I don't drive fast...I fly slow

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    There is something very satisfying about buying a new car. The feel, smell and thought of you being the only having used it adds to the value. Or picking out the exact color, specifications and having the car exactly the way you want it. The warranty is a very good reason to buy new. 4 years/50K miles on a new Saab and not having to worry about anything at all. While I enjoy doing maintenance and repairs on my 9-5, there is always the unknown what may happen when the car gets older. For many people who don't know anything about cars and rely on repair shops, this is a very important reason to buy new.

Dave mentioned about his 6-month break-in period and having to be careful in the beginning. On the other hand, when buying used, you never know how they treated the car. I have a feeling many don't even care about that, especially when it is a short-term lease. Some may never even change the oil.

Sometimes you can't buy used yet with a new model. I could have waited a couple of years with buying a 9-4X but I didn't want to. Cars are a major part of my life and I don't mind spending extra to have something I wanted for a long time.

Many think the idea of buying new isn't a good idea because of the depreciation in the first few years. But there is more to car buying than just money. At least for me. Particularly with Saab, there have been some amazing discounts in the last few years. I have bought 3 new Saabs so far. A 2006 9-3 with European Delivery (can't do that when buying used), a 2006 9-3 Aero SC with $10K off MSRP and my current 9-4X with $8K discount. I have seen a new 2011 9-3 with $12K discount and $2011 9-5 with $14K discount in the last week. With those kind of deals, it really is a bad idea buying used. Often, there are also better financing rates on new cars compared to used.

So... to make a long story short. Buying new really is the best way to purchase a car.

Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero
    New is not really a rational option here in Australia thanks to a combination of taxes and outrageous margins. Although when younger and less rational I bought new a couple of times. Looking at US prices though, it would be tempting.
    But really, that "new car" feeling wears off pretty quickly. We're thinking about updating the family car in the medium-term and the most sensible car we could buy is a 2yo Hyundai -- well made, more reliable than any European, still with 3 years of new car warranty and less than half new price at an ex-lease or government auction.
    Slight problem is my wife says she wouldn't be seen dead in a Hyundai ... a snob like Dave!

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    I guess that someone has to buy new cars so that there are used cars for people to buy? Duh?

Now think about your first girlfriend. Yeah, back when everything was all new and shiny and the spring was sprung. Now think about that hot number that picked you up at that beer party in your senior year at college. Flashy leather and yeah, you knew it had been driven hard and the clutch had been dumped a few times but .. Ner' mind.

A new car is the way to go if you have the money.

In perspective however, in the 1960's the cost of a Mercedes 220S was a few hundred dollars less than a base Chevy Impala SS. I think it was about $2,500. I had just started working in 1968 and a few of the "junior" engineers in government jobs were driving Porsche 356's and such. The German cars were less money. I could never dream of walking into a Porsche dealer and hoping for a car since the mid 1970's and that shows how much our economy and the European economy have changed. Our's is in the tank.

But, used have gone way up. My aged Volvo is worth much more now that I would have guessed. That is our "back up car" and is 13 years old.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I'll be in the market for a new/replacement car in about a year and a half... maybe two. When I look at a car, it's basically purely what draws me too it. It's got to be something fun to drive, something I think looks good, and most importantly something that is affordable; reliability is purely a "how expensive?" question to me, as I am half-way decent working my way around a car, but I won't put up with something that will spend more time being worked on than driven (as a primary car). Safety isn't real high on my list of things. I'm single, and young. Any recent car from any major car brand I typically like is pretty much "safe", and I really like older cars which "aren't safe". Price is another big thing, but its more "what is the car worth" and what can I afford.

I know when I'm looking for a "new" car, it's going to have a big range. Ideally I'd like a nice shape 99 notchback, or a 900 Turbo 2-door. But following close behind them is a 9-3 SC and 9-5 SC, also grouped in with Audi A4 avant, or Cadillac CTS wagon. If I could find any of those new for a price I felt fair, I would do that. I don't mind used, as long as I'm not constantly reminded that someone else had this car before me (poorly taken care of...). And, possibly my biggest "yes or no" criteria... I want a manual.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    I can't stand buying cars in general! I hate trying to convince non-enthusiasts that their supposed gem is actually worth $1000 less than what they want for it. Dealers? Forget it! And I think I would spend much more time and money shopping for, buying, insuring, and registering a new or used car than just fixing the one I have right now. I've got so much of myself invested in 900 repair, most jobs don't take very long anymore anyway. The car work is more enjoyable than car shopping, too, because cars don't talk back like people do! I keep it in good running condition, and it gets me where I want to go without stranding me at the roadside. Knowing that I can likely diagnose and fix any problem by the roadside is very liberating (I only haul around two boxes of parts with me...). Due to the massive consumption and pollution caused by the production of new cars, the most environmentally-friendly car for me to drive is also the one I already have. Barring a total-loss crash, I'm keeping my classic 900 and driving it daily until gasoline becomes too expensive or conventional vehicles are outlawed. If I crash, I'll get another 900. I think I know where I can get one if I need it. Transfer all the rare parts and I'll be set again! It occurs to me that, in the above rant, I sound like an old man...
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can