Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd

Cool Turbo you say?

Well if you say Saab of this era you say turbo by default. But you ask does anyone here have .... ??

Well, yeah kind yes and no if you are splitting hairs I guess. We have a 2008 Aero 280 Turbo 6 XWD and a 2009 Sport Pack Turbo 4 XWD that has the same motor as the 210.

I think it would be over kill to sift out the posts and take that much time to create a new slot. Heck, the one there sees little traffic. Bang for the forum buck and all that. I don't think we need to separate the XWD's from the Aero or whatever. Wifey has a non Aero but with all the same XWD gear as the Aero XWD; she has the mirror mine does not but has the wheels, suspension and dual exhaust only lacking the power passenger seat and turning lamps.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    The 03 through the current car is built on GM's global Epsilon platform, which underpins everything from Saabs to some Chevys to Vauxhall's and Opels. Under the sheetmetal, your 2011 is almost identical to my 2007. Aside from XWD, introduced on the 2008 MY 9-3, there are no major mechanical differences.

The 9-5 and 9-4X are brand new platforms, granted they are also shared with GM and it's subsidiaries, but they all-new models built on all-new platforms. If Saab survives and the new 9-3 comes to market in 2013 -2014, that will be a new model and a new platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Matt
    Saab(s)
    No Saabs :(... Just a Forester Turbo
    Regardless of the validity of the request, I'm not sure you'll get that far with that attitude ScotHibb

Scot
    EqualOpportunity Offender
    Saab(s)
    1989 900 SPG Turbo,1993 9000 Aero Turbo, 2000 9-5 Aero, 2005 9-2x Aero, 2011 9-3 Aero Sedan Turbo4
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabBoon View Post
    Regardless of the validity of the request, I'm not sure you'll get that far with that attitude ScotHibb

@SaabBoon - don't tell me you're one of *those* forum readers...the ones that read "attitude" or "tonality" into plain-text-base posts. That's a pet peeve of mine. I even said in my 3rd reply that I wasn't typing with bad tonality...

The problem with texting, Facebook, forums, etc, is that 95% of the time someone reads tonality into the way something is keystroked...for instance, some may look at how I "quote" and think it means I'm quoting a verbatim statement (how it should be), while some think I'm "air quoting" and others even take it as I'm "mocking" with the quotation marks...OR YELLING when caps come on...

Either way, there's no attitude in this post. Through research and through what I was told during a very trying 2-years of dealing with GM, Saab, who-know-who with my 3rd blown engine, and what I learned from very trusted and long-term resources at Saab, the changes to the drive train, differential, newer XWD technology, etc made the 2011 a "not official next generation" and that "the plans to redesign the 9-3 for 2013 are getting flushed as soon as GM dumps us" is what I based my request on.

Scot
    Saab(s)
    1989 900 SPG Turbo,1993 9000 Aero Turbo, 2000 9-5 Aero, 2005 9-2x Aero, 2011 9-3 Aero Sedan Turbo4
    I guess I was misled by 2 very trusted and long-term Saab sales managers when I went in to buy a new 2011 model. They sold me on the 9-3 Aero as a new generation of pure-Swedish engineering. They had a laundry list of the differences in the 2011 9-3 over the 2009-10 including new suspension, locking/limited-slip differential, "new turbo4 engine", and even an improved EPS system that takes into account everything from differences in tire pressures and brake wear when stabilizing the car. I even asked if i should pay $800 LESS for the 9-5 Sedan with the Turbo4, and they both told me, in so many words, "no, the 9-5 is a GM, Saab is turning it back in the next year or two". These 2 guys (one manager from JMK Saab the other from Princeton Saab where I bought 3 cars) are usually 'in the know' and many times tell me things they shouldn't (which is how i got Saab to replace 90% of the 3 blown engines on my Sabbaru due to their knowledge that synth-oil spins bearings at high RMPs).

So is the 9-5 all GM, just assembled in Sweden? I mean just like the 9-2x aero, when I pulled up to a WRX Wagon they looked like the same car, the 9-5 next to a Opel Insignia does look like the same car...but is it actually the same frame or is it Saab built from the DESIGNS? From my investigations on the Saabaru, my 3 blown engines in 3 years was NOT happening to the MANY Subarus with "the same" boxer pan-4's in them, running Mobile-1 synth...it was an issue with GM taking the design from Subaru and "doing something wrong"... So what is it?

Although, with regards to the differential and traction control...I have to say that 2 weeks ago when we got SLAMMED with that freak snowstorm, the sides of the roads were littered with AWD cars/SUVs and my new 9-3 drove completely different that any previous Saab I've owned...traction control hardly limited acceleration on slush/now-covered ice, it was beautiful.

If you're telling me the same engine is in all the models that come with a Turbo-4, that means I paid $6,500 more for an emblem that says AERO and the only difference between the 9-3 Turbo4 Sedan and my 9-3 Aero XWD Sedan is: 1-sport seats with 8-way adjustable memory seats (rather than the bucket seats), 2-upgraded stereo system (6-disk changer, 11 brand speakers, upgraded amp, full bluetooth...well the 9-3 stock stero did kinda suck...), 3-instead of regular halogen headlights, directional adaptive high-intensity low-beam, bi0xenon lights and front fogs), 4-"new express" sunroof, 5-the locking/ultra-limited-slip differential, 6-17" alloy's, and a handful of other add-ons like rear-assist, "sport interior", etc, etc????

IMHO GM almost destroyed Saab...ALMOST. Please don't disillusion me by telling me that out of the only 2 remaining "Sweden Saab" models, one is all GM!!! The body is one thing...but how do you call it a new generation due to the metal that wraps the heart and soul?

Scot
    Saab(s)
    I do have to say that the tire-pressure reader is fun to watch, especially when cornering off a jug-handle off-ramp at 75MPH...
    Now that my engine has properly been broke-in (what a LENGTHY process, and can't take advantage of Saab free oil/filter changes until it's done), I had to test the governor...so far I haven't found it...at 140 with ~2.5K left on the Tach before first redline...did they take limitors off the models or did they move them higher? My 9-2x Aero was limited at 140 (139 it would kick in)...why the heck do they have to make so many 2011 9-3 models with so many differences? It used to be (thinking back 25 year or so) "Mecedes limits their cars at 135MPH, BMW at 130MPH, Audi at 140, Saab does not limit" and so on (don't quote me on my quote....I was remembering a Car and Driver article i read in the mid 90's)?

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotHibb View Post
    The problem with texting, Facebook, forums, etc, is that 95% of the time someone reads tonality into the way something is keystroked...for instance, some may look at how I "quote" and think it means I'm quoting a verbatim statement (how it should be), while some think I'm "air quoting" and others even take it as I'm "mocking" with the quotation marks...OR YELLING when caps come on...
    Agreed. I'm sure some of us didn't mean to ruffle any feathers

Either way, there's no attitude in this post. Through research and through what I was told during a very trying 2-years of dealing with GM, Saab, who-know-who with my 3rd blown engine, and what I learned from very trusted and long-term resources at Saab, the changes to the drive train, differential, newer XWD technology, etc made the 2011 a "not official next generation" and that "the plans to redesign the 9-3 for 2013 are getting flushed as soon as GM dumps us" is what I based my request on.
    The way most of us look at it (so it seems) is that the chassis (for the most part) makes model forum sections more than model name, revised looks, or added features. While the 2011 is different in several ways, it just doesn't make sense to give it its own forum. Most of the parts are shared with earlier 9-3s; so many parts in fact, that most of us would like to keep it all in one forum--the drive train changes (XWD which includes the differential) just isn't enough to stand on it's own.

Take the 900/9-3 for example. The 9-3 supposedly had over 1,100 changes from the 900, including the suspension and engine. But they are still generally considered more-or-less the same car. One is just a tweaked (and not necessarily for the better) version of the other.

We don't mean to hinder your requests or suggestions; member input is very important to us, and we try to take all suggestions into consideration.

Thanks and hope to see you around on the forums!

Now how about some pictures of that Saab (feel free to throw in pictures of Saab of years past).
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I guess I was misled by 2 very trusted and long-term Saab sales managers when I went in to buy a new 2011 model. They sold me on the 9-3 Aero as a new generation of pure-Swedish engineering. They had a laundry list of the differences in the 2011 9-3 over the 2009-10 including new suspension, locking/limited-slip differential, "new turbo4 engine", and even an improved EPS system that takes into account everything from differences in tire pressures and brake wear when stabilizing the car. I even asked if i should pay $800 LESS for the 9-5 Sedan with the Turbo4, and they both told me, in so many words, "no, the 9-5 is a GM, Saab is turning it back in the next year or two". These 2 guys (one manager from JMK Saab the other from Princeton Saab where I bought 3 cars) are usually 'in the know' and many times tell me things they shouldn't (which is how i got Saab to replace 90% of the 3 blown engines on my Sabbaru due to their knowledge that synth-oil spins bearings at high RMPs).
    Sorry to say but you were misled. The only engine difference is the name which they changed from 2.0T to Turbo4 and the badge on the back of the car. There were no other modifications for MY 2011.

The 2.0 liter engine is a GM engine and has been used in the Opel Vectra as well. Same goes for the 2.8T V6 which has been used in even more different cars and trucks. The Turbo4 engine the 9-5 is basically the same as in the 9-3 but tuned differently. There is no difference in the engine of the Turbo4 and Aero models for MY 2011. GM Family II engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Saab 9-3 and Opel Vectra are on the same platform as well and just as much GM as the 2010+ 9-5 and 9-4X are. However, all these 3 models have completely different exteriors, interiors and driving characteristics. The 9-2X and 9-7X were different as most of the exterior and interior was the same as their GM/Subaru parent vehicles, as well as they way they drive. However, Saab did make quite some modifications to the 9-7X chassis for a better driving experience.

The 9-4X and 9-5 are very similar when it comes to the way they were developed, difference from their matching GM models (SRX/9-4X and Insignia/Lacrosse/9-5). The major difference is the 9-5 is assembled in Sweden and the 9-4X in Mexico.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Wow, I've heard some of some sleazy sales tactics, but that takes the cake.

If you're telling me the same engine is in all the models that come with a Turbo-4, that means I paid $6,500 more for an emblem that says AERO and the only difference between the 9-3 Turbo4 Sedan and my 9-3 Aero XWD Sedan is: 1-sport seats with 8-way adjustable memory seats (rather than the bucket seats), 2-upgraded stereo system (6-disk changer, 11 brand speakers, upgraded amp, full bluetooth...well the 9-3 stock stero did kinda suck...), 3-instead of regular halogen headlights, directional adaptive high-intensity low-beam, bi0xenon lights and front fogs), 4-"new express" sunroof, 5-the locking/ultra-limited-slip differential, 6-17" alloy's, and a handful of other add-ons like rear-assist, "sport interior", etc, etc????
    Yeah, pretty much. The 2.0T 4cyl is the same across the brand. It might be tuned differently in the 9-5 for more power, but I could be wrong on that. I'm pretty sure the 2.8T V6 is still available in the new 9-5.

If it helps, the 2003MY 9-3 was brand new and hailed as a much better car than the previous generation 9-3/900.

IMHO GM almost destroyed Saab...ALMOST. Please don't disillusion me by telling me that out of the only 2 remaining "Sweden Saab" models, one is all GM!!! The body is one thing...but how do you call it a new generation due to the metal that wraps the heart and soul?
    It's not just your opinion, it can almost be asserted as fact. But don't be disillusioned, your car was designed and built in Sweden. The 2.0T 4cyl is a damn good engine and you can get a Hirsch tune at your Saab dealer now.

I knew what I was buying when I bought my car. But my Saab station wagon looks way cooler than any family hauler that GM was selling on American soil in 2007.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch View Post
    If it helps, the 2003MY 9-3 was brand new and hailed as a much better car than the previous generation 9-3/900.
    Those be fighting words buddy!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig