Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 95 wagon

Starting issue for 01

I have an 01 9/5 wagon, 4 cyl turbo, and have starting issues. I originally thought it was the starter because if you continued to try to turn engine over it would eventually fire and then go weeks w/out any issues until it would happen again. Replaced starter - worked fine for couple of months then started doing it again. Shop dropped another starter in thinking it could be bad and again, after a few weeks the same problem would occur. I've replaced battery as well. I get full power throughout but no turnover on engine. Usually if I try to start anywhere from 15 - 50 times it will then start for me and usually go a few dozen starts w/ no issues.

As of this morning, after 50+ attempts to turn over - nothing. Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Kegan

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    Is it an automatic? Sometimes the neutral position switch (transmission range switch) goes bad and you have a no start/no crank scenario. Also be sure to check the nuts on the starter (10mm and 13mm) sometimes if they aren't tightened down all the way you wont have a good connection.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 95 wagon
    Yes, automatic. I will check starter but I'm fairly certain it is properly installed. I've been reading about the neutral position switch on some other forums - is there a way to test that switch to confirm that is in fact the issue?

Saab(s)
    There is not an easy way to test the neutral position switch. When I was at Saab, we made up this elaborate mess of test lights that we wired into the ignition switch, the trigger wire and the TWICE unit if I remember right. But then you had to wait for the problem to actually occur and see which test light didn't light up to verify the problem. I remember driving a customers 9-5 for about 2 weeks with this set-up installed and then one day out of the blue, it finally happened.

In some cases, you can just run the shifter back and forth from down to 1 or L and back few times and that will make the switch start working, but its not a gaurentee.

Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 95 wagon
    Thanks Brad - I appreciate your input.
    k

Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 95 wagon
    Brad - one last question - I was reading where you can possibly put a jumper connection between the white and black heavier gauge wires on the sensor - this guy was talking about using a paperclip. I'm thinking of putting an inline splice and connector. Does this sensor do anything else other than the Neutral Safety? Thoughts?

Saab(s)
    I remember one of my techs doing that once, and it did start the car, but it was essentially in "limited performance" mode. The car ran, but you couldn't really drive it very far.