Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a 9-5

Hello there I am new to the Forum
    I am thinking of getting a 9-5 probably 2.0t or 2.3t around 2007/8/9.
    Does anyone have any views as to which of these 2 engines is the best; I will be doing mainly motorway driving . Also I particularly like the wooden dashboards. Were these an optional extra or specific to a trim level. My ideal would be dark blue with black leather and walnut dash; will this car be hard to find?

Many thanks
    Mike

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Someone else will have to chime in about the engines.

I believe the wooden dash was optional, but if you find the car you don't like, it is merely a laminate kit that sticks on the dash. So you can swap it (quite a few places sell it). I don't think dark blue (I believe you are talking about Nocturne Blue) should be very hard to find, but it's really up to what the market is like and where you live.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    I believe the wooden dash was optional, but if you find the car you don't like, it is merely a laminate kit that sticks on the dash.
    The wood dash is actually real wood veneer in the 9-5 and not fake wood like the 2nd Gen 9-5. However, the dash panel is pretty easy to swap out with another one so don't let that influence your decision for a certain car.

Your location Blackpool suggests you're in the UK? The US only had the 2.3t/T engine and has proven to be a very reliable engine for model year 2004 and up. It had some issues on earlier model years but you can't go wrong with 2007 or later. I don't know much about the 2.0 engine but bigger engine = more power = more fun. Even the 2.3T with 260hp in the Aero gets pretty good gas mileage.

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    Someone else will have to chime in about the engines.

I believe the wooden dash was optional, but if you find the car you don't like, it is merely a laminate kit that sticks on the dash. So you can swap it (quite a few places sell it). I don't think dark blue (I believe you are talking about Nocturne Blue) should be very hard to find, but it's really up to what the market is like and where you live.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    The wood dash is actually real wood veneer in the 9-5 and not fake wood like the 2nd Gen 9-5. However, the dash panel is pretty easy to swap out with another one so don't let that influence your decision for a certain car.

Your location Blackpool suggests you're in the UK? The US only had the 2.3t/T engine and has proven to be a very reliable engine for model year 2004 and up. It had some issues on earlier model years but you can't go wrong with 2007 or later. I don't know much about the 2.0 engine but bigger engine = more power = more fun. Even the 2.3T with 260hp in the Aero gets pretty good gas mileage.

Welcome to the forum Mike.
    Thanks Frank; see what you mean about the dash. My main choice will be based around engine/colour

ps there does seem to be a number of 2.3t cars for sale here in the UK and I am leaning toward that engine

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    There is a difference between a 2.3t and 2.3T engine. The 2.3t is the lower hp version with a different turbo and 185hp. This engine was offered till MY 2005 in the US and I don't know if it was available for other parts of the world after 2005. The 2.3T has a better turbo and offers 250hp for MY06 and up. Fuel mileage should be similar four both the little t and big T. However, the power in the 2.3T can be addictive and you're driving style may reflect that. The nice thing about the 4-cylinder turbo engines is they have the fuel consumption of a regular 4-cylinder when you're just cruising along but have the extra power when you need/want it.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '07 9-5 Aero
    If its not an problem finding a 2.3T, I would say go for it. I just got my first Saab last week and its an 07 Aero manual. The power is really addictive and the gas mileage is still in the mid to high 20's for me.

re 9-5

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    There is a difference between a 2.3t and 2.3T engine. The 2.3t is the lower hp version with a different turbo and 185hp. This engine was offered till MY 2005 in the US and I don't know if it was available for other parts of the world after 2005. The 2.3T has a better turbo and offers 250hp for MY06 and up. Fuel mileage should be similar four both the little t and big T. However, the power in the 2.3T can be addictive and you're driving style may reflect that. The nice thing about the 4-cylinder turbo engines is they have the fuel consumption of a regular 4-cylinder when you're just cruising along but have the extra power when you need/want it.
    Thanks ; must admit leaning toward the 2.3T HOT. Generally I wont be using all that power but at least you know its there. Mostly I will be cruisng at 70/80 so woud expect fairly good MPG. Road tax same in UK as less powerful version and insurance not excessive

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Most people who get the Aero usually don't regret it ... unfortunately, the same can not be said for those buying the less powerful models.

Good luck!
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Saab(s)
    2002 95 arc 2.0t; 2006 95 1.9TiD
    Living in Ireland with petrol now at €1.50 per litre = around ¢7.00 a gallon, I went for a diesel 9-5 last time.