Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan

06' 9-5 steering wheel/airbag removal??

Can anyone help me out with the removal of the airbag on my steering wheel? My leather wore out on the wheel and I got another one of ebay I am going to try and put on.

But either way I don't see any screws anywhere on the back of the wheel to release the airbag.

Any suggestions would really help.

Thanks ahead of time, Terry

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    No screws on the 2006+ 9-5 as it's a sport sedan wheel.

Use thin/long punch or drift to depress the release levers from behind the wheel. You will have to turn the wheel about 45* I think and then you can feel/see the openings on the back of the wheel. There are two - you spin the wheel the other way to release the other once the first is popped.

2006 - 2009
    [FONT=Verdana]To remove

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]1.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Ignition switch in OFF position. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Warning[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]The battery's ground cable must be removed before the positive cable. Wait for at least 1 minute after disconnecting the battery before beginning any work on the airbag system. Otherwise the airbag may be deployed unintentionally and this can cause fatal/severe personal injuries. [/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]2.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Loosen the steering wheel adjustment and pull the steering wheel as far back as possible. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]3.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Turn the steering wheel 45° in one direction from the straight on position.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]4.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Bend away the locking spring clip using a screwdriver in the hole on the rear side of the steering wheel. [/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]5.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Turn the steering wheel 45° past the straight on position in the other direction. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]6.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Bend away the locking spring clip using a screwdriver in the hole on the rear side of the steering wheel. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Important[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Be extremely careful when removing the airbag. There is a considerable risk of breaking the connector in the contact roller. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Note[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Exercise caution with the wiring harness when the airbag is removed from the steering wheel. [/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]7.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Carefully pull the airbag away from the steering wheel. [/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]8.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Pull up the connector's locking catches using a small screwdriver. Unplug the connectors. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]To fit[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Important[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Take care when plugging in the connector so as not to damage or press out the pins/sleeves in the connector. For further information regarding connectors, refer to [FONT=Verdana]Connectors, handling and inspection[/FONT].[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]1.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Plug in the connectors and press in the locking catches. [/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]2.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Fit the airbag into the steering wheel. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]3.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Connect the battery. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]4.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Switch on the ignition and check the airbag system and control module as follows:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Connect the diagnostic tool to the diagnostic socket under the dashboard. Delete any trouble codes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Switch off the ignition and switch it on again. Wait at least 10 minutes with the ignition switched on.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Check whether a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is displayed:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]If a diagnostic trouble code is shown:[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Carry out fault diagnosis in accordance with the directions given for each DTC.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]If no diagnostic trouble code is shown:[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Disconnect the diagnostic tool.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]5.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Carry out [FONT=Verdana]Measures after disconnecting the battery[/FONT].[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

PRE 06'

To remove

1. Put the ignition in OFF position.
    2. Turn the steering wheel to the straight-ahead position.
    3. Detach the airbag module from the steering wheel, 2 screws and plugs.

4. Withdraw the airbag from the steering wheel slightly and release the connectors from the velcro fastener. Unplug the connectors.

5. Unplug the connectors on the rear of the airbag.
    6. Undo the steering wheel centre nut a couple of turns and pull the steering wheel to release it from the steering column.
    7. Remove the steering wheel centre nut and washer.
    8. Withdraw the steering wheel far enough to access the connector on the contact roller.

Unplug the steering wheel harness connector from the contact roller. Make sure the contact roller mechanism is secure.
    9. Remove the steering wheel.

To fit

1. Transfer the steering wheel harness to the new steering wheel.
    2. Check that the cable for the contact roller is not twisted.
    3. Hang the steering wheel on the steering shaft.

Note
    Make sure the hole in the steering wheel fits over the contact roller connector and that the steering column shaft coding fits the steering wheel.

Plug in the contact roller before pushing home the steering wheel.
    4. Push home the steering wheel.

Fit the washer and steering wheel centre nut.
    Tightening torque 39 Nm (28.8 lbf ft)
    5. Plug in the horn and, if fitted, the audio system.

6. Fit the connectors to the velcro fastener.
    7. Plug in the connectors on the rear of the airbag.
    8. Fit the airbag into the steering wheel, 2 screws and plugs.
    9. Turn on the ignition and check the SRS and control module with the diagnostics tool as follows:

Connect the diagnostic tool to the data link connector under the dashboard. Clear any diagnostic trouble codes that are present.
    Turn the ignition off and on again. Wait at least 10 seconds with the ignition on.
    Check whether any diagnostic trouble codes are shown:
    If any diagnostic trouble codes are shown:
    Carry out fault diagnosis in accordance with the directions given for each DTC.
    If no diagnostic trouble codes are shown:
    Disconnect the diagnostic tool.
    Last edited by Burnsside42; 17 January 2013 at 19:07.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    I had to edit this because the pic did load at first when I looked at your reply.

But I did find the springs now time to find something to depress them with.

Thanks Jeff!!!
    Last edited by toxicavenger; 17 January 2013 at 19:09.