Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Thumbs Up:   0

2011 Motorsports Wrap-Up

The Gran Prix of Brazil takes place this weekend, marking the end to the 2011 F1 season.

Red Bull Racings Sebastian Vettel took the drivers title in what can only be described as a dominating season. En route to the championship Vettel won 11 races, started on the front row in all but 1 race and only finished off the podium twice. Red Bull was also crowned constructors champion.

Dario Franchitti, driving for Target/Chip Ganassi racing, took the Indy Car drivers title a few weeks ago in Las Vegas. Sadly, the race will be remembered for the horrific multi-car crash that took the life of Dan Wheldon.

Tony Stewart, owner/driver of number 14 Stewart/Haas Motorsports Chevrolet, won the NASCAR Sprint Cup last weekend by winning the final race of the year at Homestead Miami. Stewart tied for first with Roush/Fenway driver Carl Edwards, but won by virtue of a tiebreaker. Stewart had 5 wins to Edwards 1. This is the first time that an owner/driver has won the championship since Alan Kulwicki did it in 1992. Stewart also became the first person to win a Winston Cup, a Nextel Cup and now a Sprint Cup.

After Sunday, it's a motorsports drought until the 24 Hours of Daytona in February.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero
    After faithfully watching Mark Webber mess up all year, he goes and wins the one race I miss while on holiday.

Glad he managed a win though. On to next year and hope his mojo returns.

0 Not allowed!

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Weber was a disappointment this year. He looked great in 2010, but I swear he choked every time he started on the front row in 2011. Since he's signed with RBR again, I hope he has a great season in 2012.

RBR looks unbeatable right now. Unless McLaren, Ferrari, etc catch up, 2012 will be another season of the Sebastian Vettel Show. McLarens biggest problem is Hamilton. He's a good driver, no doubt, but emotionally he's immature and it comes out when he's having a bad race. I can't figure Button out. It's like he phones it in 90% of the time, but shows up and drives every now and then.

Next year is going to be interesting for Lotus/Renault with Kimi Raikkonen's return to F1.

I don't know about Ferrari. Alonso is a good driver, but he hasn't adapted to the Ferrari's driving dynamics, or Ferrari's engineers haven't adapted the car for Alonso's brutal driving habits.

I'd like to see Brawn/Mercedes come back and show that their debut year wasn't a fluke. I wonder if they would have done as well if Brawn had put Schumacher in the car, instead of Button.

It would be good to see some of the new talent break out in 2012. Bruno Senna, Nico Rosberg are both due. Last years rookie crop had a couple of standouts, Sergio Perez looked good most of the season(and he helped me win the TSL F1 Fantasy league), and hopefully comes back strong next year.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.