Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T

1993 CSE Motor locked up?

My daughter and a carload of friends were headed home from college Tuesday before thanksgiving when the car stalled at an intersection in a downpour and would not start. Got the car towed to a garage local to the incident and picked up the kids myself (4 hour round trip).

The mechanic at the garage took a quick look and determined the motor was locked up. Not wanting to spend $70 an hour for diagnosis I had the car flat bedded to my house.
    • Car has 200K and seemed to run fine up to this incident.
    • Daughter said the car made a rumbling noise and slowly stopped (I know great diagnosis)
    • Car will not turn over with the starter
    • Pulled the starter put it in gear watching through the clutch window I can see a small amount of movement for and aft as I rock the car.
    • Pulled the belt same issues
    • Going to pull the valve cover to check the timing chain later today to rule that out
    • Wondering if the balance shaft chain let go? If so would it do major damage? Repairable without removing the motor?

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Pulled the valve cover between the rain storms and the timing chain is still in tact, the cams look beautiful and there is no sludge. Love Mobile One!
    Guessing it's the balance shaft chain jammed up under the crank.
    Hoping it's not a thrown rod.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Manage to make some progress with this one?
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Some, I ordered two motors from Goldwing which should arrive Friday. One for the CSE 70K and one for the 85T 69K
    Decided that since the repair parts are pretty close in cost to a replacement motor, I would go that route. Will tear down he old motor once the car is roadworthy again and see what happened.
    I am on vacation from the 16th on so I plan on making progress apart from the week in Orlando at Universal Studios.

I need to get the wheels under the 85 so I can push it out and the CSE in.

Good thing Threepwood is in a good state of tune so the kids have wheels to college and back.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Got motors and the car in the garage and started tearing the car down. The motor looks pretty nice! Figure I'll change all the seals and such before I put it in. My car has TCS and I will need to swap over the intake.
    Going to do a motor out the top since I do not have a lift.

I am going to kill the guy that put the hose clamps on in a position that no mortal man can get a tool on. I had to disassemble a lot of stuff to get the lower water pump hose off.

Out of town for a few days this week then off to Florida next week, but plan on making a lot of progress over the holiday.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    How about pulling the plugs and then rocking the car in gear or jogging it on the starter? With no plugs the lack of compression and engine motion just may provide some tell tail signs of problems.

My daughter cooked her 2000 9-5. I asked her and she did indicate that she had been driving along with the engine running hot so she did not pull over till it seized, "because I had things to do".

Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    "because I had things to do"
    I can relate!

Noticed I posted pics of the wrong motor, the 9000 motor is just as nice.

We tried the starter, removed the starter, pulled the plugs and can only get about 1/2" of flywheel rotation by bumping the car in gear. Thinking a fubar balance chain wrapped around the crank or a broken rod jammed up tight.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Found the problem. Oil pump came apart. Do not know why?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Motor and Trans back in car. Hopefully all hooked up in one weeks time.

Sean Hughes
    Saab(s)
    '91 Saab c900 N/A base
    Wow! Never seen that before. I know this isn't the same thing, but I rebuilt a '39 Ford 9n tractor/bucket loader with my friend/part time boss this summer that he got for $600. Someone had the engine rebuilt (and clearly didn't want to spend too much on having it rebuilt) so whoever did it had the IQ equivalent to a 5 year old and put bearings in wrong, horrible wiring jumpering, oil pump rebuild wasn't done right, rod cap bolts over-torqued, etc. So most of what our time was spent on was fixing all the damage the previous owner had done. I guess he was using it and it spun a bearing because the oil pump had been rebuilt poorly and when we took off the oil pan it was full of sludge (cleaning it out was one of my jobs...oh joy). We did a total engine rebuild: all new lifters, guides, seats and valves, new bearings, the piston rings, honed the cylinder walls (and used hydrochloric acid w/ emery cloth to clean and fix the piston #1 bearing surface (spun bearing) and all new gaskets, water pump rebuilt, redid the electrics and added lights (correctly) new starter and alternator, new distributor, coil, plugs and points and rebuilt the oil pump correctly this time. It's such a cool little tractor. 4cyl flathead engine is REALLY torquey and it does look pretty poor, but I like that. Everything (including the original hydraulics - just topped off with oil) works fine and it runs perfectly! Really quiet, and I like that when you look at it from the outside it looks beat up and like it is just scrap, but it performs and runs like new. I like that whole "humble" factor.

Sorry, this really didn't pertain at ALL to your post except for the oil pump bit. haha
    -Sean Hughes
    ------------------------------------------------
    - '91 Saab c900 N/A base model