Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab 9-3 automatic transmission, fluid level check / adjust

5-speed, FA 57

Check
    1. Place the car on a lift as level as possible. Chock the wheels if a track lift is being used.

2. Apply the handbrake, engage P and start the engine. Raise the car and check the fluid level. If necessary, top up with fluid to dipstick level "cold". Lower the car.

Name:  atf1.gif
Views: 40945
Size:  2.7 KB
    Important
    In order to correctly read the oil level, the O-ring must be removed from the dipstick and refitted after reading.

3. Connect Tech2. Run the engine until the temperature reaches 80°C in menu "Read values" TCM.

4. Check the fluid level and top up as necessary. The difference between max and min marks is 0.3 litres.

Topping up

1. Place the car on a lift. Engage P and apply the handbrake. Chock the wheels if a track lift is being used.

2. Remove the dipstick and lower the car.

3. Connect a hose with 87 92 822 Oil filler funnel to the dipstick hole.

4. Fill with automatic transmission fluid as specified, wee Weight, fluid capacity and grade of fluid.

Important
    Fill up with oil through the oil filler hole. Do not remove any other plugs from the top of the gearcase.

5. Raise the car, remove the hoses and put back the dipstick. Lower the car.

6-speed, AF 40

6-speed, AF 40

Checking/Adjusting the fluid level

The following methods cover two work procedures:
    1. Checking the fluid level and filling in advance with engine switched off.
    2. Checking the fluid level while the engine is running.

Note
    Both work procedures must be carried out in accordance with the following sequence. The fluid level must only be checked at the fluid temperatures prescribed below when work on the gearbox has been carried out or when loss of fluid is suspected. Use fluid in accordance with fluid capacity and grade of fluid.

Checking with engine switched off

1. Place the car on a lift. Make sure it is as level as possible. Engage P and apply the handbrake. If using a ramp, chock the wheels. Connect an exhaust extractor.

2. Raise the car.

3. Diesel: Remove the lower engine cover.

4. Place a receptacle under the gearbox and remove the fluid level pipe plug.

Name:  atf2.gif
Views: 40863
Size:  11.3 KB

5. If no fluid runs from the dipstick tube's hole, fill transmission fluid until it starts to flow. Do not include the fluid in the dipstick tube. Fit the plug.
    Tightening torque, level plug 8 Nm (7 lbf ft)

6. Fill approx. 1 litre of fluid through the filler hole.

Checking at a fluid temperature between 30°C - 45°C

1. Lower the car to the floor.

2. Connect Tech2. Run the engine until the temperature is 30° - 45°C according to Menu "Read values" TCM. Move the gear selector from position P to D and then from D to P. Let the gear rest for longer than 2 seconds in each gear position (N and R) while depressing the foot brake. Repeat this procedure twice.

3. Leave the engine running and raise the car. Place a receptacle under the gearbox and remove the dipstick tube's plug.

4. The fluid level is correct when the fluid stops flowing from the fluid level hole. Do not include the fluid in the dipstick tube.

5. If the fluid level is under or level with the dipstick tube then no fluid will run out apart from that in the dipstick tube and then the fluid must be topped up. Fit the plug.
    Tightening torque, level plug 8 Nm (7 lbf ft)

Topping up

1. Lower the car and turn off the engine. Remove the filler plug and fill with about 0.5 litres of transmission fluid. Refer to Weight, torque, fluid capacity and grade of fluid.

Name:  atf3.gif
Views: 40833
Size:  30.0 KB

2. Start the engine. Move the selector lever from P to D and then from D to P while applying the foot brake. Allow the selector lever to remain in each gear position (N and R) for at least 2 seconds. Repeat this procedure twice.

3. Raise the car and check the fluid level once more. Top up if necessary. Fit the plug when no more fluid comes out. Tightening torque, level plug 8 Nm (7 lbf ft)
    Name:  atf4.gif
Views: 39452
Size:  11.4 KB
    4. Diesel: Fit the lower engine cover.

5. Lower the car. Switch off the engine and fit the filler plug.
    Tightening torque, filler plug 30 Nm (22 lbf ft)

6. Disconnect Tech2 and the exhaust extractors.

Checks and level adjustment at fluid temperatures 70°- 80°

1. Check and fill as described above, then top up with a further 0.4 l.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    • Saab 9-3SS - Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) change

So what I gathered as information:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzHT...it?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzHT...it?usp=sharing

On what should be the oil for for Aisin Warner 5-spd boxes and 6-spd boxes (Toyota owns part/all of Aisin Seiki), please read more information here:
    http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-au...html#post55493
    written 18 September 2013, 14:25 and 14:59

In order not to repeat what is written.
    I hope I've been helpful.

BOBI

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.8T V6 Turbo Convertible Aero
    Just throwing in my 2 cents regarding drain and fill of my transmission.

Important. this reply only pertains to the 6 speed automatic in the 2.8T v6 aeros (and others).
    Mine is the 2006 93 Aero Convertible 2.8L V6. I have found a pretty informative and interesting procedure to drain and fill the transmission fluid and an alternative to the SAAB oem tranny fluid for this particular transmission. What I like about the article it starts of with bold announcement to keep it only for the 6 speed automatic in effort to keep misinformation out of the thread. It is from another forum but I have not found the substance on my favorite Saab site Saabworld. ([FONT=verdana]GM Part # 93165147. Or if you dont want to spend $25 a liter from GM then you can go for the Ford Motorcraft XT-8-QAW Transmisson fluid. Exact same stuff but much cheaper at $8 a quart from your local Ford dealer or Amazon. )
    [/FONT]

So enjoy the read. I drained and filled my tranny as routine maintenance today in about 1.5 hours. I used the drain plug to drain and measure what was taken out and the vent tube for the tranny to refill with new fluid. Much easier than trying to remove the fill opening on the top of the 6speed auto.

wiki on the tranny and other cars that use it. AWTF-80 SC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 'other forum' thread. I found quite valuable. How To: Transmission Fluid Change on the Aisin Warner AWTF-80SC (06+ Aero Automatic) - SaabCentral Forums

Mine was nice and black fluid vs the fresh red color, but since I bought the car with 50k miles I am not sure the last time done. I recently had some slipping between 2nd and 3rd and clunking on some downshifts. More noticeable as the summer heat of Phoenix has rolled in. So far, back to smooth shifting. I will keep and eye on over the next few hundred miles to see if remedied my shifting issues. I plan on doing again in 15 or 20k to cycle thru some more fluid or maybe another 10k. Just hit 75K.

I drained about 2.75 quarts and put back in about 2.8 due to 'vent splash' (you will know what I mean if you read the other thread) Really a piece of cake to do -- just have to wait for the new fluid to slowly go in the last .8 qts or so.

Cheers.
    (pdf in case the original info is missing in the future.How To: Transmission Fluid Change on the Aisin Warner AWTF-80SC (06+ Aero Automatic) - SaabCentr.pdf )
    Last edited by simpleaz; 14 June 2014 at 22:34.

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero v6 6-speed auto

In case you still visit here, Thanks for the repost !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simpleaz,

This is my first post here, but I just wanted to thank you for posting this info as I truly needed it. Your post was particularly helpful to me as I ran into the re-filling issue and did not want to once again pay to get the job done. I believe that I payed in the $225 range to have the job done last year as I have my fluid changed yearly. In addition the link that you provided just in case the info was missing was AWESOME, as the original photos are now missing from original post and most are present on your link. THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.8T V6 Turbo Convertible Aero

Your Welcome

Hi -- been awhile and I am just about to flush the fluid again. Glad the pdf was able to help. The photos really do help.

simpleaz

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 AERO View Post
    Simpleaz,

This is my first post here, but I just wanted to thank you for posting this info as I truly needed it. Your post was particularly helpful to me as I ran into the re-filling issue and did not want to once again pay to get the job done. I believe that I payed in the $225 range to have the job done last year as I have my fluid changed yearly. In addition the link that you provided just in case the info was missing was AWESOME, as the original photos are now missing from original post and most are present on your link. THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!