Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0

Smile Time for service indicator light?

The time for service light came on around 43,000 miles. I'm not sure if that is a factory setting or just time for an oil change, because I happen to be scheduled for an oil change. Once The oil was changed (mobile 1 0-40) i reset the indicator light. Being new to changing my own oil and resetting indicator lights I have a few questions.

1. once the indicator light "time for service" is reset will this now keep track of my next oil change?
    2. time for service: main, intermediate and main & interned are not totally explained in my owners manual. I believe the indicator said intermediate.
    3. Next service xx% was set at 57% do I log in 100% at time of the oil change?

Thank you for any advice given.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-3 SS Linear--gone, 06' 9-3 SC Aero--gone, 09' 9-3 SS Aero Auto--yeah
    This message typically comes on every year or just under 10,000 mi. Besides oil change, etc. you are due an air filter at 40,000 mi. which is an easy DIY and can get the filter at most auto part stores. The cabin filter you can't. That is to be done every 20,000 mi. or so.

harry
    Saab Enthusiast SatchSportSedan's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Sport Sedan B207E 150Hp

Time-for-Service Light

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    The time for service light came on around 43,000 miles. I'm not sure if that is a factory setting or just time for an oil change, because I happen to be scheduled for an oil change. Once The oil was changed (mobile 1 0-40) i reset the indicator light. Being new to changing my own oil and resetting indicator lights I have a few questions.

1. once the indicator light "time for service" is reset will this now keep track of my next oil change?
    [FONT=arial black] YES, it will, and is even dependant on driving conditions, due to several sensors taking track off cold conditions, long rides, fast rides,etc... ...
    [/FONT]
    2. time for service: main, intermediate and main & interned are not totally explained in my owners manual. I believe the indicator said intermediate.
    [FONT=arial black] Is the difference between just an oilchange, or the bigger all filters,etc... which is only due after 60.000Kms
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial black] My experience is that it comes itself with the question whether to ReSet or not, mostly at mine this comes after an oilchange,
    that I just came to do before, since I don't wait until this TiM-light comes on notifying me.
    So I pressume the oil level sensor, senses when an oildrain is performed, ... clever cars indeed ;-)
    When it is ReSet, I alwaysstart from 'new', so 0%.
    Than the counter will increase until the next 100% depending on driving conditions.

I do my oilchanges always at each 15000KMs, and/or before a winter, and/or before a long summers holiday drive.

4. One thing about the so much discutions about Mobil 0W40, I do MARLY synthetic 10-to-5W50
    depending on summer or winter conditions (Ventral-Europe)

In my humble opinion this more expensive 0W-advice is only for the very cold Norwegian/Swedish winter conditions.
    This is the COLD-viscosity to assure a minimal cold start lubrification and thus fluidility, to safeguard against premature wear.
    An engine wears the most at startup, thats why trucks and long highway driven engines go longer, many miles more.
    But if you live in a more moderate part of the world, with weak winters, barely freezing, a 5W-viscosity will do fine.

The -W50 stands for HoT normal engine driving conditions (with 88°C Tstat open)
    this is the HoT viscosity, where the oil is still thick enough to assure lubrifications in all small tolerance moving parts.
    Here I choose a -W50 instead of -W40 to safeguard my Turbo, and all other 16Valve items. TURBO engines get really hotter inside,
    than normally aspired. And Turbos are expensive to exchange.
    [/FONT]

Thank you for any advice given.
    [FONT=arial black] YES, it will, and is even dependant on driving conditions, due to several sensors taking track off cold conditions, long rides, fast rides,etc... ...
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial black] Is the difference between just an oilchange, or the bigger all filters,etc... which is only due after 60.000Kms
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial black] My experience is that it comes itself with the question whether to ReSet or not, mostly at mine this comes after an oilchange,
    that I just came to do before, since I don't wait until this TiM-light comes on notifying me.
    So I pressume the oil level sensor, senses when an oildrain is performed, ... clever cars indeed ;-)
    When it is ReSet, I alwaysstart from 'new', so 0%.
    Than the counter will increase until the next 100% depending on driving conditions.

I do my oilchanges always at each 15000KMs, and/or before a winter, and/or before a long summers holiday drive.

4. One thing about the so much discutions about Mobil 0W40, I do MARLY synthetic 10-to-5W50
    depending on summer or winter conditions (Ventral-Europe)

In my humble opinion this more expensive 0W-advice is only for the very cold Norwegian/Swedish winter conditions.
    This is the COLD-viscosity to assure a minimal cold start lubrification and thus fluidility, to safeguard against premature wear.
    An engine wears the most at startup, thats why trucks and long highway driven engines go longer, many miles more.
    But if you live in a more moderate part of the world, with weak winters, barely freezing, a 5W-viscosity will do fine.

The -W50 stands for HoT normal engine driving conditions (with 88°C Tstat open)
    this is the HoT viscosity, where the oil is still thick enough to assure lubrifications in all small tolerance moving parts.
    Here I choose a -W50 instead of -W40 to safeguard my Turbo, and all other 16Valve items. TURBO engines get really hotter inside,
    than normally aspired. And Turbos are expensive to exchange.
    [/FONT]
    Everything is simple ,regarding time spend