Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    Is this the hitch cover?? http://www.saabpartscheap.com/OEMPar.../19201642.html available again??

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Turbo4 sedan
    I recently purchased a 2011 9-3 Turbo 4 and am looking to install a hitch for light loads. I found the Curt Part # 11326 at Northerntool.com that appears to fit my car. I am having difficulty finding a wiring harness as I do not know the proper one for the car. I followed the suggestion made earlier by Nordwulf but could not see the wiring plug on the inside of the rear bumper. If anyone has useful information, I would be interested.

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    Quote Originally Posted by epallandre View Post
    I recently purchased a 2011 9-3 Turbo 4 and am looking to install a hitch for light loads. I found the Curt Part # 11326 at Northerntool.com that appears to fit my car. I am having difficulty finding a wiring harness as I do not know the proper one for the car. I followed the suggestion made earlier by Nordwulf but could not see the wiring plug on the inside of the rear bumper. If anyone has useful information, I would be interested.
    This guy,
    https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...id=20111170512

I am guessing Curt p/n 118259.

Quote Originally Posted by epallandre View Post
    On my car, the plug was hidden a bit but it was up there -- I just used the parts that fit the 2011 SRX and it worked great. It was also a bit of a trick to get the hitch into position to get all the bolts in but with some pushing, shoving, and tapping I got it in and it's works great.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    Just to follow up on my POST last year of installing the Curt 13002 class 3 hitch on my 9-4x.

This week we took our now yearly trip to Kitty Hawk, NC (my Aunt rents a beach house for two weeks and has been inviting us down the last 6 years). Trying to fit my wife, our son, and now my mother, along with snacks, luggage, and beach stuff (chairs, boogie boards, umbrella, cart) was a challenge.

So this trip I used a Hitch Haul basket (built with the 2" bar, I kept the 1.25" bar in case I ever get a different SUV with smaller hitch) I got at Walmart last year when installing the hitch (but never used), web tie downs, a Reese 1/2in & 5/8" sleeved receiver lock, and two 14ft ratchet straps as extra tie downs. On the way down, I only put the chairs, boogie board and beach cart on the basket. But realizing how cramped it still was inside, on the way home I also put one of the luggage bags and the umbrella on the basket too. It worked great. It was exactly why I got the hitch in the first place (accessories, not towing). Nothing moved. There was no loss in gas mileage. And it gave us the extra space we needed to feel more comfortable inside, without my having to pile stuff in the cargo area higher than the back seat (so I could still see out the back window).

The only bad points where, parking assist did not like the basket being filled as much as it was on the way home (I could not turn it on when I got home and was trying to park in the garage). And bottom half of the rear view camera was obstructed by the stuff on the basket. I still have some vision via the camera, but just not as much.

All in all, the hitch performed beautifully. Well worth the money and time to install it, especially being the cheaper/easier Curt hitch.

And another follow up... So not long after installing the receiver, we purchased the Thule Trailway 959 bike rack from Dick's... Because it has metal loops on it to string a bike lock through, and Thule's "anti sway" locking bolt is $60, I never bought a locking bolt for it. Instead I used the normal "anti sway" threaded bolt included and just cabled locked it to the Curt receiver's loops anytime I left the rack on for an extended period.

Fast forward... My wife got a GMC Terrain, and due to a dealer mix up, when they ordered and installed the factory hitch on it, they also ordered (and threw in for free) a Thule Vertex 9028XT. It has a built in cable lock for the bikes, so no "loops" on its frame to wrap a chain through... She wants to leave it on at all times, so we purchased a Thule STL2 anti-sway locking bolt.

For grins and smiles, I tried the STL2 on mine.... While the bolt fits through the hole and screws in place properly, the LOCK doesn't. The receiver tube/sleeve? is so close to the frame assembly of the receiver bar, that the Thule LOCK is TOO BIG. There isn't enough clearance so it hits and can't be put on. So if I had a newer style rack, I wouldn't be able to lock it to my Saab.

I don't know if this is also the case with the factory SAAB/GM receiver. It does fit just fine on her GMC with GM receiver kit.

I'm still pleased as it has worked great all this time and still fills my needs for cheaper than the SAAB/GM setup would have been.