Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Saab(s)
    1991 Saab 900 SPG (Talladega Red), 2011 Saab 9-4X Aero

9-4X tow hitch

I have a 2011 Saab 9-4X Aero and originally tried to order the vehicle with the towing package, but was later informed that the towing package would not be available on the 2011 model year. My dealer now has doubts that a dealer-installed aftermarket towing package will ever become available, even though they have been informed that one should be available early 2012. I have attempted to locate an aftermarket towing solution, but I have been unsuccessful since the vehicle is so new and has been produced in such limited quantities. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with an aftermarket towing solution for the 9-4X?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, advice, or experience(s). Drive safely and KEEP ON SAABING!!!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Welcome and congrats with your 9-4X! I split up your roof crossbars and tow hitch thread into two separate threads to make it easier to find this info in the future.

I was looking into a trailer hitch a few months ago. The Cadillac SRX is identical to the 9-4X when it comes to the frame so I checked around on the Cadillac forums. A hitch for the SRX should fit the 9-4X as well, as far as I can tell from the information I found.

There are several hitches from different manufacturers. All should be around $140.
    2011 Cadillac SRX Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

Name:  trailer hitch Saab 9-4X.jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  9.4 KB

I looked under my 9-4X and the rear looks exactly the same as the SRX as shown in the install video: Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch for Cadillac SRX 2011 - 87573
    All mounting points appear to be the same on the 9-4X and SRX.

For the trailer wiring, I also saw the wiring plug on the inside of the rear bumper so this harness should be all that is needed.
    Replacement OEM Tow Package Wiring Harness 4-Flat Tow Ready Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring 118259

Name:  trailer wire harness Saab 9-4X.jpg
Views: 2390
Size:  13.3 KB

You would have to leave the middle bumper cover off with a hitch installed. Cadillac makes custom covers but the bumper design for the 9-4X seems a bit different. Some SRX owners got creative and made their own cut-out in the cover. Looks pretty good to me.

Some links
    Trailer Hitch Recommendations for 2011 SRX?
    has anyone installed a receiver hitch?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    I saw those too and thought about it... But I didn't have time to get under my Saab and look. My only question mark is the back bumper and allowing for the hitch to come through. While I don't have plans on towing soon, it would be nice to have, just in case... (had it on the GMC Terrain which is why I'm thinking about it for my 9-4)

Frank
    Saab(s)
    The 9-4X has a similar removable cover in the bumper. Not sure if the SRX hitch will clear the rest of the bumper when that is removed.

A towing package often includes a transmission cooler so towing capacity may not be up to 3500lbs if you don't have that. I think they recommend 2500lbs for the SRX without transmission fluid cooling.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Would a transmission cooler from an SRX mate up with the 9-4x ok?

Has anyone actually installed a hitch & cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    Would a transmission cooler from an SRX mate up with the 9-4x ok?
    My dealer said they tried the SRX hitch and it wouldn't fit. Has anyone tried it?

I'd really like to get this hitch installed, although with the way the transmission shifts I'm not sure how well it will haul. Need to do small utility trailers with not too much inside.

9-4x Premium with about 14K

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel H View Post
    My dealer said they tried the SRX hitch and it wouldn't fit. Has anyone tried it?
    Did they say why it wouldn't fit? Something with the mounting points or location of other things like the bumper?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Did they say why it wouldn't fit? Something with the mounting points or location of other things like the bumper?
    What they said was they got one and tried it and it wouldn't fit -- didn't give me the details (I don't think the person I was talking to knew).

I'm guessing that you have not tried one. . . I was thinking it might be the bumper design.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel H View Post

I'd really like to get this hitch installed, although with the way the transmission shifts I'm not sure how well it will haul. Need to do small utility trailers with not too much inside.

9-4x Premium with about 14K
    (sorry for the long time to reply)... but did they say the hitch part didn't fit or the transmission cooler?

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    I see small cars here in Germany towing huge camping trailers all the time (ask Frank, he's Dutch, they love to town their caravans all over Germany ). And there is an old SAAB video that shows Stiq Blomqvist torwing his 99 Turbo race car with a his daily driver 99 Turbo. American tow ratings are awfully low for whatever reason. If you are worried I would install a transmission oil cooler.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo