Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Car museums in Europe

I'll be going there in a couple of weeks and last time I was in car museum in Europe was in Trollhattan about 6 years ago. I have about 5 days to do some touring and I was thinking of going to Germany.

I know of these museums in Germany.

Autostadt - Wolfsburg

Mercedes - Stuttgart

Porsche - Stuttgart

BMW - Munchen

Audi - Ingolstadt

Has anyone been to any of these? Any others to recommend or familiar with? Not necessarily in Germany but other countries as well.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I went to the Mercedes museum when I was 12 or 13. From what I remember, I quite liked it, but I was far more interested in the factory tour.

My oldest brother went to the BMW museum a year or two ago. He couldn't stop talking about it, and he took tons of pictures; the guy doesn't take many pictures typically.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I forgot I went to the Ferrari museum in Maranello a couple years ago. It was a bit disappointing as it was quite small and there wasn't much information displayed with the cars. Still pretty cool to visit but I wouldn't recommend making a long trip to visit just the museum.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/about...ome-Museo.aspx

Frank
    Saab(s)

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Too many car museums, too little time to visit them all.

The Mercedes museum in Stuttgart was very nice. The building itself is quite the architectural master piece. They had a good selection of cars and trucks from the early years to about 20 years ago. There is a huge showroom next to the museum with new cars and Young Classics. And I found this equally as interesting as the museum itself because you can check out all the the new Benzes without any sales person trying to bother you. I wish I could have taken that W124 or W126 "young classics" home with me.

Pictures are not very high quality as my camera doesn't really do very well in low light without flash.

Album with 47 pictures

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    What is that Popemobile looking thing?
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    That was a test vehicle.

It is equipped with with measuring equipment too sensitive, large and heavy to record the data delivered by test vehicles during their test runs. The data was transmitted by a long cable that connected the sensors of the test vehicle with the instruments in the measuring car.
    Mercedes-Benz 300 Messwagen : 1960 | Cartype

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    I hate to bring up another automotive museum, but if your interests are a little bit broader and you tire easily of seeing a lot of the same marque constantly (as you would at the Audi, Merc, and VW museums), you could try the Deutsches Museum Verkehrszentrum in München. It has a bit of everything: planes, trains, and automobiles. Also technical stuff (cutaway engines and gearboxes of all persuasions), motorcycles, and a neat collection of bubble cars. I enjoyed the whole thing.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    A few others:

The Deutsches Museum in Munich, which is the world's largest museum of science and technology, has a huge wing devoted to automobiles, with many rare cars. I was there years ago when I was 14, spent five days visiting the museum and saw only a small part of it. The world's first automobile, the Benz Patent DV 11 is at the Deutsches Museum.

The Museum Autovision in Altlussheim, Württemberg, is the old NSU museum, has cars, motorcycles, bicycles, over 80 Wankel engines, and alternative propulsion vehicles.

Old NSUs @ the Museum Autovision

The Sinsheim Auto und Technik Museum in Sinsheim, indoors and outdoors exhibits with cars and airplanes. It is the only museum in the world exhibiting both a Concorde and an Tupolev Tu-144 supersonic airplane.

The Technikmuseum Speyer, in Speyer, Rheinland-Pfalz, mainly aircraft but also many automobiles, they have a special exhibit on micro cars. The Russian space shuttle, the Buran is at the Speyer.

The Heinkel Kabine vl @ the Technikmuseum Speyer

The Agust Horch Museum in Zwickau, is the old Auto Union museum, shows Audi, DKW, Horch, etc, and also Trabant cars.

In France there is the Cité de l'Automobile, in Mulhouse, houses the Schlumpf Collection of rare and antique automobiles, has the biggest collection of Bugattis in the world.

The Musée de l'Aventure Peugeot, in Socheaux, is dedicated to Peugeot automobiles.

The Citromuseum in Castellane, Provence is a privately owned museum that showcases post war Citroën vehicles.

The Musée Renault in Boulogne, Paris, showcases Renault automobiles, only open Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The Göran Karlssons Motormuseum in Ullared, Sweden is a mixed brand museum that shows Göran's collection, including Lambos, Corvettes, etc. Lots of Americana here.

The Volvo Museum in Gothenburg is the official museum for Swedish bricks. Lots of weird and interesting vehicles here.

In Linnavuori, Finland there is an engine factory museum that shows one of the few SAAB V8 engines. Also in Finland, in Uusikaupunki there is a SAAB museum at the old factory that shows another two SAAB V8 engines.

In Austria there is the Automobilmuseum in Stainz.

In Austria, the the Porsche Museum Helmut Pfeifhofer at the Porsche old home in Gmünd

In Dornbirn, Austria there is the Rolls-Royce museum (yes, far away from the factory in the UK). Privately owned but the biggest collection of Rolls in the world.

And in Eggenburg, Austria there is the RRRollipop microcar museum.

The Marcus Wallenberg-hallen in Nyköpingsvägen, Sweden, is the unofficial Scania museum, with lots of truck,s tanks, etc.

Last edited by rpiereck; 12 January 2012 at 23:40.

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    Looks like the TU-144 in that pic. Howard Moon, the author of "The technopolitics of the Tupolove 144" is a big saab nut here in NOVA.