Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Aftermarket GPS navigation in the 9-4X

There aren't many good locations to mount a navigation device and I don't like having it on the windshield.

I bought an inexpensive vent mount from Arkon GN047 which was about $5 including shipping. It clips on the center vent fine but still needs some improvement so it is going to be a bit more stable.
    Name:  Arkon GN047 vent mount.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  4.8 KB
    I also need to find a way to route the power cable through the vent inside the dash and down to the power outlet. It should be hardwired of course so you won't have that big plug in the power outlet all the time. Another option would be to use the power outlet in the center console.

It's not as neat and tidy as the OEM nav system but probably as good as it gets.

Name:  P1120091.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  P1120090.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  P1120084.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  47.5 KB

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I purchased the Gilsson direct wire cable so I could hardwire the nav unit. I had to remove some dash trim but that was very easy to do. I cut the cable right above the little transformer in order to be able to route the cable through the vent opening. I made a small hole in the top of the dash vent so you don't see any cables.

I removed some sheeting from the power outlet wires and connected the Gilsson cable to that. I thought this would be easier and safer than using wire taps or other connectors.

The result is very clean and you don't see any wires at all. And it can be easily removed as well.

I was going to add a switch so I can cut power to the nav unit. It comes on automatically when you start up the engine and I don't want to have it on when I don't really need it (like on my commute between home and work). I haven't really found a good place to put the switch so I just have to unplug the cable from the nav unit for now.

Name:  P1120261.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  P1120263.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  51.0 KB

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '11 9-5 Turbo4 Premium (6-sp, Hirsch)
    Hey, thanks for sharing!

I just bought a an '11 9-5 without Navi, and would like to something very similar to what you are talking about. Do you mind posting some more pictures about how you hardwired it into the 12-volt connection? While I am handy on most things, I have never dealt with car electrical before, so I would love some pointers.

The 9-4 has a power connection right underneath the HVAC controls right? I guess I will need to route mine into my center armrest console as that is the the closest power.

You mentioned cutting the cable right off before the transformer -- does that mean the transformer is not in the picture at all? Just a straight 2-wire connection from the Navi unit to the 12-volt tie-in?

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    I want to do this sometime, but I like to put my GPS on the base of the A-pillar, a hard spot to run the wire to.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Yes, the 9-4 has a 12V power outlet below the climate controls. It's under that little cover in the second picture of the first post. The actual hardwiring is to the wire that goes to the 12V outlet. There isn't much to show for in a picture. I just took a sharp knife, carefully cut some of the sheeting away, twisted the nav wires around that and covered with electrical tape.

I reconnected the transformer and put that below the dash. You definitely need that because the nav unit / USB is 5V, I believe.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Yes, the 9-4 has a 12V power outlet below the climate controls. It's under that little cover in the second picture of the first post. The actual hardwiring is to the wire that goes to the 12V outlet. There isn't much to show for in a picture. I just took a sharp knife, carefully cut some of the sheeting away, twisted the nav wires around that and covered with electrical tape.

I reconnected the transformer and put that below the dash. You definitely need that because the nav unit / USB is 5V, I believe.
    Ok, thanks -- that helps. Couple more questions, if you don't mind.

Did you disconnect the power completely to the 12V, or spliced in the Nav connection to it?
    Where did you set the transformer to sit permanently? Is it up n the area underneath the dash by the vent (looks like there is some room there), or down below by the power outlet?

How tough, or any suggestions on getting the dash and other pieces off? I have a dash removal tool I used in the past to hook a Sirius radio up to my wife's Odyssey. Is it the same general ideal, pry under and try to get the latches popped off?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I spliced the nav connection to the wires so I still have power to the outlet. There was enough space for the transformer below the power outlet underneath the dash.

The strip of fake wood dash trim comes off when you pull on it. I used a wedge to get it started but it comes off easily. The top part of the dash in the 9-4X pulls off easily as well an dis held in place by about 6 clips. However, the 9-5 dash is very different so I have no idea how you would get under there and snake a wire through the dash vents. And if the trim pieces come of the same.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks. I am still debating whether or not to do a dedicated Navi unit, or just buy an iPhone and use that instead. In the dedicated unit, I know I never have to worry about charing it up.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    One more question for you, if you don't mind.

Did you pair your GPS via Bluetooth to the Infotainment unit? Is there any added features by doing that?

Obviously you could use the Bluetooth with your phone and the GPS, but I am curious as to why one would pair the GPS to the car (as that is an option under "Pairing" in the Infotainment unit).

Frank
    Saab(s)
    The only reason I could think is to play the spoken instruction of the nav unit through the car stereo. But that would only be a good solution if you can use the infotainment audio at the same time and it would slightly mute the audio.

My GPS unit doesn't have BT and I not sure if my Bose system has that capability.