Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 SW, 9-3 Arc, 900Cvt, 9000

Manual Transmission Removal

Greetings,

I just pulled out the engine and tranny from my 91 cvt and have it ready to be separated. I have a question about what my next steps should be. What do I tackle next and how? Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Thx

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    Remove the primary drive housing inspection cover by removing the big wire clip with a flatblade
    screw an appropriately sized bolt into the threaded portion of the input shaft (not all the way)
    Use the claw of a hammer to gently and evenly lever out the input shaft, it should slide right out
    Remove all the bolts that you can see mating the engine to the transmission, think there is about 16 including a stud with a nut on it at the differential end.
    Crane the engine away from the transmission - be careful of the oil pickup tube.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 SW, 9-3 Arc, 900Cvt, 9000
    Thanks for the tip. I ve gotten this far, however as I'm pulling off the engine its seems to be stuck on the clutch side. Seems like the slave is being caught by the teeth of the pressure plate. I removed the slave screws and even the pressure plate screws attached to the flywheel, but still no budging. What is my next step here? I have no way of pushing back the teeth since I have no hydraulics, I'm stuck, please help almost there. Thanks

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    SAAB made a special tool to compress the pressure plate without hydraulics, but nobody has this and they are expensive. Other than this, there are many creative solutions:
    -You can push each individual "finger" of the pressure plate back and insert a spacer (like a coin or washer) in there, go around a few times inserting more and more, thicker and thicker spacers each time, until you've gotten it out.
    -You can cut the slave in half with a hacksaw, if the hydraulics are no good.
    -You can try to fabricate a special tool to push the clutch pressure plate in, with a long handle and a ring on the end like this:
    Name:  83_94_033.gif
Views: 1346
Size:  1.3 KB
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Hear my Saab a comin' nuclear944's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Past: 1989 SPG & 1989 900 N/A Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by rys95 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I ve gotten this far, however as I'm pulling off the engine its seems to be stuck on the clutch side. Seems like the slave is being caught by the teeth of the pressure plate. I removed the slave screws and even the pressure plate screws attached to the flywheel, but still no budging. What is my next step here? I have no way of pushing back the teeth since I have no hydraulics, I'm stuck, please help almost there. Thanks
    Just take a screwdriver or small prybar and pry the fingers away. You won't damage them and you only need about half a centimeter of clearance. Shouldn't need to remove any of the clutch components to remove the engine. I just did this a few days ago.