Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

need advice on buying a saab 9-3

hi, i'm new here and i was looking to buy a car and came across two cars one is a 06 saab 9-3 2.0t and the other is a 06 saab 9-3 aero. whats the difference between the aero and the base model? is it worth paying the extra couple of thousands for aero? money aside which one is more reliable and also are there any problems that i should be aware with either model? and any other advice about the car when checking it out to buy it would be great.

thanks

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The 2.0T base model has a 210 hp 4 cylinder engine and the Aero comes with a 2.8T V6 engine. The Aero also has more standard equipment and a firmer suspension. I have had both a 2006 2.0T and Aero and I think the price difference is definitely worth it. The only disadvantage of the Aero may the firmer suspension on bad roads and the higher thirst for fuel.

Both engines have been proven to be pretty reliable. I think there was a coolant expansion tank recall for the Aero but I don't know the exact details.

Test drive them like any other car and try to find out about the history as much as possible.

Is this going to be your first Saab?

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    The 2.0T base model has a 210 hp 4 cylinder engine and the Aero comes with a 2.8T V6 engine. The Aero also has more standard equipment and a firmer suspension. I have had both a 2006 2.0T and Aero and I think the price difference is definitely worth it. The only disadvantage of the Aero may the firmer suspension on bad roads and the higher thirst for fuel.

Both engines have been proven to be pretty reliable. I think there was a coolant expansion tank recall for the Aero but I don't know the exact details.

Test drive them like any other car and try to find out about the history as much as possible.

Is this going to be your first Saab?
    thanks for the reply and yes this is going to be my first saab. also i was reading around and read alot of people saying there being electrical problems in this year. some also said that you should buy a 07plus because more of these problems were fixed and you can install a aftermarket deck in the newer saabs compared to the old ones where it was harder. is this true?

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    The only issue I got was a coolant expansion tank due to a defective seam paste area. I have replaced free of charge.

no more issues.

the car is great and I will keep for years.

Quote Originally Posted by jlrSAAB View Post
    The only issue I got was a coolant expansion tank due to a defective seam paste area. I have replaced free of charge.

no more issues.

the car is great and I will keep for years.
    ok thanks for the reply

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Ditto on the coolant tank, replaced under warranty. I've got an 07 9-3 Aero. The only other issue I had was the ignition switch going bad, which killed my battery, also all repaired/replaced under warranty..

Personally, I like the firm suspension, the power of the turbo V6 and the 6spd manual. Getting more content as standard equipment was worth the extra money.

Downsides are minimal, the 2.8T requires premium fuel and it's thirsty in city driving. 17inch wheels require a set of 16's for winter driving. 17in tires aren't cheap.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicky View Post
    thanks for the reply and yes this is going to be my first saab. also i was reading around and read alot of people saying there being electrical problems in this year. some also said that you should buy a 07plus because more of these problems were fixed and you can install a aftermarket deck in the newer saabs compared to the old ones where it was harder. is this true?
    Up to 2006, they used fiber-optics for the infotainment system. I don't think they have electrical problems but upgrading the audio is nearly impossible because of the fiber-optics. 2007 has more traditional wiring and a different dashboard. Some like one over the other but it comes down to personal preference.

The good news about the 2006 is that the Aero comes with the premium audio. The SportCombi / wagon even has a subwoofer and I was always pleased with the sound quality. If audio quality is important, listen to both in the Aero and base model. An easy upgrade is replacing the dash speakers in the 2006. But if you're planning on installing an aftermarket audio or GPS system, definitely go for the 2007 or newer.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Aero Sdn (sold 8/2013). 2010 9-5 Aero (11/2012-present). 2009 9-3 2.0T (11/2013-Present)
    I'll throw in my two cents a year and a half later than the last post.... I was in a similar dilemma when I got my 9-3 back in 2008. I was looking at a 2007 9-3 2.0T and a 2006 Aero. I went with the Aero because the 2006 and older models have the button dash which seems more Saabish to me. The 2007+ looks way too GM especially since the radio is the same one GM used in the Chevy Cobalt! Plus, the V6 helps. As do the bolstered seats with the black inserts. and the nicer wheels. and the spoiler. =)