Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo

Saab warranty and parts for North America - SCNA bankruptcy

Looks like warranties are done...

Saab suspends all warranty coverage, cars to be sold as-is
    According to a leaked memo to Saab dealers obtained by Autoblog, the bankrupt automaker is ceasing all warranty coverage on its vehicles in North America.

The memo was sent out Monday following a Swedish court's approval of Saab's bankruptcy petition and – as we suspected – all new vehicles will be sold "as is."

The North American branch of Saab also is suspending the payment of new car, powertrain, emissions and parts warranties, along with recall campaigns, certified pre-owned coverage and no-charge maintenance programs. There's no telling if the suspension is a permanent action or simply a temporary one –Saab will likely need to sift through its bankruptcy proceedings before that picture becomes any clearer for consumers.
    .. The link has the full memo
    Last edited by nordwulf; 21 December 2011 at 21:16. Reason: Changed title for better description

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Saab suspends warranty coverage on all North American vehicles

From Automotive News:

DETROIT -- Saab has suspended warranty coverage on all of its vehicles in North America.

Additionally, new vehicles must be sold "as is," the bankrupt Swedish automaker told its dealers.

The suspension took place on Monday, the same day a Swedish court approved the automaker's bankruptcy petition to liquidate and begin paying creditors. Two receivers were appointed to oversee Saab's assets.

Effective Dec. 19, "warranty coverage is suspended indefinitely for all new Saab vehicles sold. During this period, the warranty booklet must be removed from the owner information packet," Saab Cars North America said in a statement provided to Automotive News.

"For any vehicle sold or leased during this period, the customer should be affirmatively advised that the vehicle does not carry any warranty coverage and is sold 'as is.' "

Saab Cars North America also said it has suspended the processing and payment of all claims, including but not limited to:

• New-car warranties
    • Powertrain warranties
    • Emission warranties
    • Parts warranty
    • Safety belts, airbags
    • Towing
    • Recalls and campaigns
    • Certified pre-owned coverage
    • Goodwill
    • No charge maintenance

"Saab owners should be advised to keep receipts of all related warranty work done or services performed until further notice," Saab Cars North America said.

All new 2011 Saab models were last covered by a 4-year, 50,000-mile warranty that included roadside assistance, and no charge scheduled maintenance for three years or 36,000 miles.

General Motors handled Saab sales and covered Saab warranties through Feb 2010.

Since then, Saab has been owned by Dutch-based Swedish Automobile AB, formerly Spyker Cars, which bought Saab from GM.

Bernie Moreno, dealer principal of Saab of North Olmstead, Ohio, said it's unknown whether reimbursement will return in the future.

"All of that is being resolved in the next few days," Moreno said. "As a dealer, today I am planning for the worst."

Going forward, he said, "We will assume that we won't be receiving reimbursement."

Saab's U.S. inventory stood at 2,400 units on Dec. 1, according to Automotive News.

The automaker's U.S. sales have climbed 22 percent this year to 5,340 units through November, compared with a year ago, in an overall market that has advanced 10 percent. U.S. sales peaked in 1986 at 48,181 units.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    It is not really clear if this is for all new Saabs sold from December 19th on or for previously sold Saabs as well. What about for vehicles when it was still owned by GM?

Kevin Miller
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 sedan LPT; 9-3 Independence Cabrio (ordered!)

Bummer

Wow- holy cow. That'll make it a lot more challenging to convince people to buy those Saabs that are remaining on the dealer lots. How disappointing.
    Kevin Miller - (KR900)
    '12 9-3 Independence Cabrio 6MT (ordered 3/18/11)
    '01 9-5 sedan 2.3LPT 5MT

Frank
    Saab(s)
    From USA Today:

Saab drops warranties on cars here, GM to cover older ones

Saab Cars North America has suspended paying for warranty coverage for all its vehicles in the U.S. and Canada, says Michele Tinson, spokeswoman for SCNA, the Swedish carmaker's sales unit here.

However, General Motors says it will step in and offer any warranty coverage remaining on Saabs made and sold under its ownership of Saab, which ended in February 2010.

"If Saab is unable or unwilling to service the warranties in (North America), then General Motors is going to step in and take care of it" for cars sold before GM sold Saab to Spyker Cars, GM spokesman Jim Cain said this afternoon. "We're in the process of rolling that (information about warranty reimbursement) out to Saab dealers right now."

By GM's estimate that will cover a majority of the about 48,000 Saabs on the road in the U.S. and 9,000 in Canada.

But that won't help owners of more recent of Saabs still under warranty, nor will it cover about 3,000 new vehicles sitting unsold on dealer lots, says SCNA. Those new cars must be sold "as is" -- like a used car.

"What (SCNA has) done is suspended warranty reimbursement temporarily until we have further direction," Tinson says. "We need to understand the rules and legalities in Sweden and how they affect the warranties. In the U.S. we have not made a determination of our next steps."

The North American unit is in limbo, not in bankruptcy court here, nor is it part of the petitioned for bankruptcy liquidation file by parent Saab Automobile in Sweden on Monday (post earlier in Drive On). "We haven't announced bankruptcy, haven't announced liquidation," Tinson. "We are on our own financial books, a separate entity."

The warranty coverage is suspended indefinitely, though Tinson says it could resume at a future time. In the unlikely event, for example, a white knight swoops in and buys Saab Automobile intact, warranties theoretically could be reinstated. It seems more likely to be broken up and sold in parts to repay creditors, however.

Dealers could still do work on owners cars, hoping to get paid by SCNA later, but they don't have to. For unsold new cars, dealers also could try to obtain warranty coverage through a third party.

The new Saabs had carried a 4-year, 50,000-mile warranty, with free scheduled maintenance for three years or 36,000 miles.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    It is not really clear if this is for all new Saabs sold from December 19th on or for previously sold Saabs as well. What about for vehicles when it was still owned by GM?
    This statement from GM -> GM Statement on Saab Vehicle Warranties in North America

In the event Saab cannot or will not fulfill its obligations to administer the warranty programs with its U.S. and Canadian dealers through Saab Cars North America or otherwise, General Motors will take necessary steps to ensure that remaining warranty obligations on Saab vehicles marketed by GM in the United States and Canada will be honored.
    Marketed by GM? I assume that means those sold when GM still owned Saab? Or does it extend to cars like my 9-4x which was purchased at a GM (Chevy, Cadillac, GMC) dealer?

I still don't understand if SCNA isn't in the bankruptcy, has independent books, etc.. then wouldn't they be obligated to honor warranties (and possibly the no charge scheduled service/maintenance)?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    Marketed by GM? I assume that means those sold when GM still owned Saab? Or does it extend to cars like my 9-4x which was purchased at a GM (Chevy, Cadillac, GMC) dealer?
    I read that as all Saabs sold after Spyker bought the company (February 23, 2010). I don't think it matters if your Saab was sold through a GM/Saab dealer.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    The automaker is only extending it warranty to those who own vehicles sold before February 2010.
    Read more: GM Offers Some Relief, Will Honor Warranty on Most Saab Vehicles - Rumor Central

Under the terms of its sale of Saab in February 2010, General Motors Co. will underwrite warranties for all Saab vehicles sold before February 2010.
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20111...for-bankruptcy

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    I read that as all Saabs sold after Spyker bought the company (February 23, 2010). I don't think it matters if your Saab was sold through a GM/Saab dealer.
    That is what I was thinking... but at the same time was hoping....

I'm now kicking myself for not considering the possibility of the deals that were supposed to save Saab falling through when I picked up my 9-4x in the first few days of October.

Right now, I'm hoping that my 9-4x is just as reliable as my '05 9-3 Arc was, and my wife's '08 9-3 Aero continues to be. And I guess I'll let the dust settle some more before I do anything about possible 3rd party warranty coverage.

But all of this still doesn't take away my enjoyment of driving my 9-4x, nor does it make me see any alternatives on the market to my 9-4x.

Personally, I hope the dust settles and SCNA is able to honor at least the warranty, if not also the 3yr/36k mile no cost scheduled maintenance/service or road side assistance. Ideally I'd love for SAAB to be completely saved and back in business, but I don't hold much hope for that.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    But all of this still doesn't take away my enjoyment of driving my 9-4x, nor does it make me see any alternatives on the market to my 9-4x.
    That's my attitude as well. As long as there is nothing wrong with a newer Saab that is not covered by warranty, why worry? If I would have known this ahead of time, I may not have bought it a few months ago. But since I have it, I am not going to worry about the value or any potential problems because that doesn't do any good. Enjoying your new Saab is much better for the heart and soul.

No cost scheduled maintenance is a nice feature but how much do a few oil changes and checks actually cost? I was going to do oil changes myself anyways because my closest Saab dealer is 200 miles away.