Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Sean Hughes
    Saab(s)
    '91 Saab c900 N/A base

selling my lawn tractor engine

Selling my 14.5hp OHV Briggs engine. Anyone in ME interested?

Briggs and Stratton 14.5hp OHV engine
    -Sean Hughes
    ------------------------------------------------
    - '91 Saab c900 N/A base model

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Why was it flagged for removal? Sold?

Though I bought a Honda my mech already mentioned replacing it with a Kohler or B&S.

When Honda stops supporting an engine they make Saab look good. I went through this with a Honda dirt bike (Elsinore) and now possibly with this 4wd 4ws machine too.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Sean Hughes
    Saab(s)
    '91 Saab c900 N/A base
    It was flagged for removal because some jerk on craigslist.com flagged and reported it that I was scamming people. Probably jealous I can sell engines and mowers and parts truthfully and make money and he can't.

Here is the new link: Briggs and Stratton 14.5hp OHV parting out

I love Honda mower engines, but the carburetors are a pain!!! My '81 c70 carb is easier to rebuild that my 6hp OHC/OHV engine on my HRZ216 Honda mower. (also for sale!)
    -Sean Hughes

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd

Amazing policies?

What amazes me it that you had a post flagged and pulled in what? A day? We had a local jerk who just left his post up for a set of Saab wheels and tires for months and though I was responding to him almost on a daily basis, he never once got back to me. For the first few weeks, I wrote it off to vacation or something but then started to hit the flag button because it was obvious he had no intent to sell. Also his price was way high and the only thing I can think of is that he was the same seller that tried to mis-represent another set of wheels as being from a Turbo X when clearly they weren't and he remembered this. But why wouldn't they flag him?

Anyway, since you mess around with this kind of stuff, I may be looking for things from an older Honda tractor. It is an RT5000 from about 1985 through 1987 or so. There are about 3 series like this that are similar. So, if you hear of any things like mower decks, snow blowers and other items for that series let me know? I was shocked when the mech said he may be able to transplant another engine and an old diesel would be real cool. I think.

I painted my way into a corner with an old Honda "Elsinore" dirt bike from that era a few years ago .. I never learn and am a sucker for the old weird stuff ... It was missing an outer casing from the engine. As an impact point I'm not surprised and actually got to ride it one time by holding the kick start in with a broom handle and damn, it ran fine. But when Honda pulls support, it is gone forever.

Be aware of a company called "BikeBandit.com" .... they will take your order on credit card ... and sure enough a few weeks later a box came with all of my cables and gaskets but on cast engine cover. And they keep the money because on page 78 of "your agreement", it allows them to take the money and promise delivery if and when the parts ever become available. A company with any ethics would tell you they were out of stock. Five years later and I am still waiting. And waiting ... tick, tick, tick ..

Sean Hughes
    Saab(s)
    '91 Saab c900 N/A base
    Wow that sucks man! Sounds like you've had bad luck with both sites. But yeah, if I hear anything I'll let you know. Honestly though, I've only ever seen 1 RT5000 up here and it was at a dealer for repair. They're rare machines. There were a couple 3813s on craigslist this summer. One for $750 and one for $300. I almost bought the one for $300, but decided against it. Said it ran but looked rough and needed some work. Good and...EXPENSIVE machines! I'm using cheapcycleparts.com for my c70 parts.
    -Sean Hughes

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    It's all part of getting an education in life "101", Riding mowers I had a pretty good clue on what to buy and what to avoid.

Getting into the small tractors is a whole different ball game. I paid $1,500 because I need to able to plow this year and after weeks with blood shot eyeballs trying to find some kind of AWD "Kubota" type I was going goofy.

We, as Americans have once again painted our way into a corner. Either you spend $8,500 on a base Kubota with deck and blade or you go to Home Depot and spend $2,500 on some goofy POS that is no where made with any quality.

I really miss my 1972 Deere I paid $50 for from a farmer down the road. Drove it for years and ruined the drive spindle by power washing one day. But those old rigs were built. It had a Chevy starter motor to raise and lower the deck! Big rear tires so it never got stuck. But all of our independent dealers except for one have gone out of business. One by one they have shut except for the one fellow who has insane prices and worse repairs. What I need to do now is find one in good shape and then use this one as a parts machine. I did find one today but it's up by Buffalo. But my buddy is trying to get this one to run well and then I'll start the hunt for a second machine.

I was shocked you even knew what it was. Here in NJ you add a doubling factor on any lawn stuff. Since NJ is a "money state" you take the real world price and double it. This is where it hurts not having a truck and this is the first year without one. Like next week, I have to drive 120 miles to pick up the bucket that was part of the deal but wouldn't fit in his truck. I was just so glad that he agreed to drop it off for "free" that I was doing back flips .... probably for the same one you would have paid $300 for.

That "bikebandit.com" thing ... well at least the name is appropriate. I gave the that Honda and another identical to a buddy who kind of collects and restores them and has a barn so storage is no issue.

I'm learning. But at 63, I'm still kicking myself in the ass. Wifey said to go buy a new tractor but reading between the lines that also meant no fun little car.

Sean Hughes
    Saab(s)
    '91 Saab c900 N/A base
    Well you know, since you are getting a bucket for it, you could move snow with that! What attachments do you want for it besides a snowblower? They are cool tractors, but I've gotta say, one of the weirdest maybe ugliest things ever! Especially for Honda!
    -Sean Hughes

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd

bucket and ...

It was supposed to have come with a functional mower deck but it had parts scavenged off it and my buddy who does this stuff said the deck may be beyond salvage just since parts are hard to find.

It did come with a snow/dozer blade and with a bucket but some of the parts are bent so though it fit on the quick hitch my bud said it would have fallen off the minute I reversed with a bit of snow.

The guy was supposed to have delivered the bucket but he forgot so I'll pick it up in my wagon. This guy runs "a yard" so he knows what he is doing and he saw this city boy coming from a mile down the road.

What kind of got me a bit ... he had the tractor running when I got there so I didn't have a clue on how hard it was to start. Turns out that it takes a few minutes to get it running and even ether won't kick it off easy ... or at all. It may have a compression release and the little glass bowl shows no fuel so I'll know in a few days.

My initial reaction was "compression release" on an 11 horse Honda? Yeah, this is a new game and I got in over my head.

Sean Hughes
    Saab(s)
    '91 Saab c900 N/A base
    My 6hp Honda has compression release, and my 7hp Tecumseh had compression release too.
    -Sean Hughes