Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    The cow thing got me to thinking about a true story told by Mickey Mantle. For you kids, he was THE Yankee ballplayer of the 1950's.

He takes Joe DiMaggio out to a farm to hunt deer and stops buy the farmers house to say hi. Joe D. stays in the car. The farmer asks Mantle to put down the old mule in the yard, old and lame ...

Mantle comes back and .... rants, "Sommma' bitch says we can't hunt, I'll show him so he loads and shoots the mule. DiMaggio gets out and shoots the cow in the next pasture.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnanxwd View Post
    Check out the YouTube vid on the fellow demoing the Ruger LCP.

How long does it take you to figure out where he has it concealed?
    Link?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Well, it was pretty visible in his left pocket.
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    His right (I know what you mean), but the tip was the length of the pant leg and the way there were no wrinkles. One leg hung lower and heavy.

I got a chuckle because his intent was to demo how well it hides ... and it does, but there are other clues. We used to play games like ... Where is Waldo or .. Is Waldo Loaded?

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Is Waldo loaded sounds like a dangerous!

Yeah, right pocket, thats what I meant. It's hard to hide a gun in your shorts pocket.

It is a nice, small, concealable gun, though.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch View Post
    Is Waldo loaded sounds like a dangerous!
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Just some random thoughts..

I grew up in a country where guns are not very common and I think you need a special permit to own one. There are shooting clubs where you have to become a member but I think you need to leave your gun at the club all the time. It's not like you walk into a store, shop for groceries and a gun and be able to pick it up a few days later.

I have lived in Northern Michigan for quite a while and there is absolutely no need for personal protection for me. I don't see the fun in hunting at all but I am not opposed to it either. There are too many deer in Michigan and I imagine hunting only puts a small dent in the deer population. And it is used for food anyways so there is no harm in that. I just couldn't kill an animal just for fun.

I often feel much safer in the US than in Europe. Crime seems to be increasing in Europe and opening of all borders does't make it any safer in Western Europe either. Assaults with knives is quite common so I think I would actually like to carry a gun if I would move back to Europe. At least more so than in the US.

I have been intrigued in guns and shooting and would like to try it some time. Where do you start? Do you just go to a place where they sell guns, buy one and start shooting anywhere? Do you have to do that at a shooting range or can you do it in your back yard? On public land? As you can tell, I am quite the gun noob. What gun would you start with? Hand gun or rifle? Dirty Harry, Jack Bauer or James Bond style? OK, I am just kidding with the last question..

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Do you just go to a place where they sell guns, buy one and start shooting anywhere? Do you have to do that at a shooting range or can you do it in your back yard? On public land? As you can tell, I am quite the gun noob. What gun would you start with? Hand gun or rifle? Dirty Harry, Jack Bauer or James Bond style? OK, I am just kidding with the last question..
    Wulf, you could start with:

And work your way up
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Laws about guns vary from state to state about where you can shoot guns. Here in New York there are tons of laws. But generally it's like this (excluding New York City):

Rifles and Shotguns (must be at least 18" long to be considered one; also known as "long guns")
    -No permit require
    -No background check (most stores such as Dick's or GanderMountain do a quick/small background check based off your drivers license though)
    -No fully automatic
    -Limit on capacity of magazine (number of bullets it can hold that can be fired without reloading)
    -You can pretty much legally carry one anywhere (there are areas you can't, and places do have a right to not allow them) but be prepared for people to run away in fear or call the cops.
    -Can be used for hunting, but many counties don't allow rifle hunting due to their long range (safety reason for missed shots).

Pistols
    -Permit required. To get a permit it varies based on county. "Easy" counties take at about a month to be approved after filing all paperwork, getting fingerprinted. "Harder" counties take a year or longer (my county) after filling out paperwork, getting fingerprinted, and having other hoops to jump through.
    -Can only use for what is specified on your permit (Concealed carry means you can have the gun not visible, and take it where ever. Open carry means you must have the gun visible at ALL TIMES and carry it where ever. Target/Range only means you can only have the gun in a case for transport from house to range, and only "on" you when at the range or at your house. There are more...)
    -When you buy a gun, it depends on your permit, but basically you cannot take it home until you have added it to your permit. You need to go to the county clerk's office to get it added. Then you go back to the store (or private seller) to pick up the gun.

The laws go on and on.

But basically (check your laws first), you should be able to go to Dick's or GanderMountain or (I prefer) your local gun shop and walk out the same day with a long gun. Took me 30 min to get my Mosin. If you have ample property (I'm guessing is several acres) you can shoot on your own land. Make sure you have a back-stop so the bullets have somewhere to stop when you miss the target. Or you can join (some don't require membership) a gun club and shoot there. You cannot shoot on most public land. Some public spots allow during hunting season, but most do not.

When most people go hunting, it's on other people's land. Of course, you need their permission.

If you wanted to get started, I would strongly suggest getting a .22 rifle (a Ruger 10/22 is a great choice if you ask me). Ammo is super cheap and found EVERYWHERE, so you can practice for hours and hours. It's a very small round, so for those unfamiliar to guns won't be scared of recoil. The guns are cheap (relatively). Plus, with a rifle you get the added safety of it being longer; therefore harder to injure yourself. Although, it is still a very strong possibility of happening, so you always must be careful. But, don't take much advice from me. You can find NRA courses near you (NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training). They'll get you started, and for lots of them you don't even need a gun! They'll provide!

Oh, and if you want to go and check guns out, I suggest smaller gun shops (kinda like going to the Indy shop over the dealer). Typically you'll get a nicer guy. Tell him you are unfamiliar with guns, and hopefully he'll help you out from there.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig