Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Jared
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 ARC ( and care-taker of a '98 900SE)
    My uncle carries a 9mm at all times. He used to own a business in the Portland area of Louisville. (Hirsch, I'm sure you know the area I'm talking about.) And one in Savannah, GA. Sold both of them now though. He bought the gun because he didn't feel safe driving Escalades, Corvettes, Mercedes, modified Mustangs, brand new Volvos etc. in the area and like many business owners he'd, inevitably, pissed off some people. Getting to the point, he said there was one point where he wished he had it with him. Leaving a rest stop going out to his car in Georgia three men came up to him (After noticing his pretty new F250, Rolex, and other gold jewelry) and told him to give them his wallet. He said "Here ya go, take it." and handed it to one of them. Then another said, "Give us your jewelry!" Knowing how much all of it cost, he calmly said back, "You'll have to beat that off me." So...they started on him, punching, kicking, he said it was bad. He said if he pulled out the gun they would have immediately run, but he didn't have it.

Luckily, he got one of the guys arms up against a curb and pinned it with his knee. He told the other two, "The more you fight me, the harder I press on his arm." Finally he heard a snap, a scream and they all started running.

He chased the one with his wallet, tackled him, and took it back. So it ended well, aside from a lot of little cuts and bruises. To this day he wishes he had the pistol with him so he could have scared them off before it started.
    I don't drive fast...I fly slow

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    Gun laws only prevent law abiding citizens from buying guys... they don't stop criminals.

Just got back from the gun show... completely disappointed. Prices were crazy high, expect for a few LC Smith's, but those were out of my price range anyways. Ammo was stupid expensive. I only saw a few things that were actually cheaper than going to a gun store. I almost did walk out with a billy club though.
    Yep, as cliche as it is to say, if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. The same goes for so-called "gun-free" zones. When Ohio passed it's CCW law it included a provision that says any business that wants to post a "no guns" sign, can. The company I worked for at the time tried to make it's building a gun free zone and went so far as to get all employees to try and sign a "safety contract". The premise of this contract was laughable. They wanted permission to search employee cars, at any time for no reason. They stated that if an employee saw a person with a gun on company property they were to report it to the security officer. There was no safety officer and I called them on it. I asked who the safety officer was and they said Rick, the print shop floor manager. I asked what training qualified him for the position. He had none. There were about 8 of us that refused to sign the contract. Within a year all 8 of us were fired.

I've never bought at a gun show, simply because my local shop usually has better prices.

Ammo is getting stupidly expensive, it's been going up for the past couple years. I stocked up in 07. I've got 500 rounds of semi-jacketed, hollow-point .45, and 500 rounds of FMJ 9mm in my house. I couldn't even speculate on how much .45 ammo is at my dads house.

Let me just put it this way, if the time comes, we will be prepared.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
    My uncle carries a 9mm at all times. He used to own a business in the Portland area of Louisville. (Hirsch, I'm sure you know the area I'm talking about.) And one in Savannah, GA. Sold both of them now though. He bought the gun because he didn't feel safe driving Escalades, Corvettes, Mercedes, modified Mustangs, brand new Volvos etc. in the area and like many business owners he'd, inevitably, pissed off some people. Getting to the point, he said there was one point where he wished he had it with him. Leaving a rest stop going out to his car in Georgia three men came up to him (After noticing his pretty new F250, Rolex, and other gold jewelry) and told him to give them his wallet. He said "Here ya go, take it." and handed it to one of them. Then another said, "Give us your jewelry!" Knowing how much all of it cost, he calmly said back, "You'll have to beat that off me." So...they started on him, punching, kicking, he said it was bad. He said if he pulled out the gun they would have immediately run, but he didn't have it.

Luckily, he got one of the guys arms up against a curb and pinned it with his knee. He told the other two, "The more you fight me, the harder I press on his arm." Finally he heard a snap, a scream and they all started running.

He chased the one with his wallet, tackled him, and took it back. So it ended well, aside from a lot of little cuts and bruises. To this day he wishes he had the pistol with him so he could have scared them off before it started.
    I know of the Portland area of Louisville.

When those three guys jumped me, at first I thought it was just one that had followed me. I heard him running behind me and turned around in time to straight arm him as he swung something at my head, I think it was batteries in a sock, and connected just above my right eye, splitting it open. Because he was running he ran into me. We fought for what seemed like 5 minutes, but was probably no more than a minute, and at one point I remember telling him "you picked the wrong guy, motherf***er!" I had every intention of beating his ass, dragging him up the stairs and calling the cops. When his friends joined the party I knew it was over.

At the end of it I was laying on the ground in the fetal position, protecting my face, vital organ and the family jewels while the kicked me in the back, ribs and kidneys. Thankfully my neighbor and one of his friends pulled up the street, saw what was going on and got out to help. The scum ran off at that point. 3 on 3 weren't odds they liked, I guess.

When I got up off the ground, I was mad and still ready for a fight, yelling at them to come back.
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Safety contract... what the...?

For ammo, I've got an unknown number of 12 gauge target shot, and a spam can and a half (maybe 600 rounds?) of 7.62x54R for the Mosin. Going shooting tomorrow with it, so subtract 50 to 100 rounds.

I was hoping to shoot my brother's Glock 19 today, but the range was closed due to a competition at the Sportmen's Club; the sporting clay course is located behind the range, so you can't use the range when people are shooting sporting clays. I was a little disappointed there.

I might be switching from looking for a side by side to an autoloader. I'm thinking Remington 1100, or maybe 1187... I have seen a couple Browning A-5's for decent prices, but they are all Belgian made, when I would really like a Japanese one if I settle.

At the gun show I walked by some reasonably price short barrel, pistol grip Mossberg 500's for a decent price. I passed, as home defense isn't an issue.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    So I gave up on the side by side... maybe someday when I can afford a nice LC Smith or Parker. But I did pick up a used Remington 1100. Seems in great shape, but hadn't been cleaned in quite some time. Came with a hunting barrel setup, without removable chokes. I'll see how I do shooting at clays before I go back and buy the very nice barrel all set up for trap.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    I usually have a Glock 30 with me, but can't bring it into DC. I can carry it all around Arlington Co. Wich hasn't had a homicide in 22 months. But DC, oh no. I have to go unprotected.

I also tinker around with AR-15s. Building them, as well as being a Glock Certified Armourer.

My newest goal is a decent Mission style gun cabinet, and I think this might be the one.

Also have a Nagant which I am scared of, an old AJ Aubrey side by side and an incomplete 1863 Springfield type 2.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    I have a medieval-reproduction crossbow. I made it myself out of a laser-cut, tempered leafspring, a nice piece of wavy maple, and some bike parts for the winch to draw the bow, as it is too hard to draw by hand (200lbs). Building the trigger mechanism was the hardest part, but it improves accuracy a lot. It could kill someone (and probably the person standing behind him too) fairly easily. It scares me enough that I don't shoot it much anymore.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by euromobile900 View Post
    I have a medieval-reproduction crossbow. I made it myself out of a laser-cut, tempered leafspring, a nice piece of wavy maple, and some bike parts for the winch to draw the bow, as it is too hard to draw by hand (200lbs). Building the trigger mechanism was the hardest part, but it improves accuracy a lot. It could kill someone (and probably the person standing behind him too) fairly easily. It scares me enough that I don't shoot it much anymore.
    Thats pretty cool!

Got any pictures of it?

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Errrrrrr, Euro since you don't shoot it much any more, did you kind of run out of friends or ...
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch View Post
    Thats pretty cool!

Got any pictures of it?
    I'll see if I can find any on my other computer. It's currently on display next to the suit of armor my brother made, at my parents' house. Yes, that's right--he made a suit of chainmaille armor. It weighs 30lbs and is entirely metal, but is as flexible as a wetsuit!
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can