Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd

Guns, Knives and General Weaponry

First, thank you to Frank for amending the rules.
    Second, keep it civil. I'm a moderator now, I'll ban your asses! (I doubt I can, but I like to throw around empty threats. It makes me feel impo'tent!)

We here at SaabWorld truly represent the world, with members hailing from almost all corners of the globe. We are an eclectic mix of people with sometimes drastically different opinions on controversial subjects. Despite that I feel that we are capable of having mature discussions about controversial subjects.

And I'm going to get the ball rolling. Many of our members come from places with very strict gun control laws, and in my experience the laws made by the government do not always represent the feelings of the people. However, some people are in complete agreement with their countries strict gun control laws and would like to see similar laws enacted in the US.

If you are anti-gun, I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect it. All I ask/expect is the same from you.

But many of the Americans on here embrace our 2nd Amendment rights. I'm one of those people. I'm not a gun nut, I"m not a psycho. I was raised around guns, my dad is an ex-cop and I grew up in the country. Guns were simply a part of life for me and many of my friends. We were taught gun safety at an early age and we started hunting as soon as the gun wouldn't knock us down.

The county I grew up in was, at the time, the second poorest county in the state of Indiana. For many of my friends hunting was a necessity. Two or three deer killed in a season meant that you didn't have to buy red meat from the grocery store. Racoons were hunted by many of my friends for their pelts.

So, whats in my gun cabinet?

My go-to, personal protection, concealed carry gun is a Glock Model 36 .45. People either hate Glocks or they love them. Obviously I love them.
    The gun thats always on the top shelf of the linen closet in our bedroom, loaded, in case my wife has to use it, is a Ruger P95DC 9mm.
    Semi-Antiques include a Colt .38 Detectives Special snubnose revolver that my grandfather purchased in the 1930's and a S&W .38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel that my grandfather bought in the 1950's. The Colt has never been fired.

Long guns include a Vietnam era M1 Carbine, a Ruger .243 rifle and a Charles Daly Tactical 12 gauge shotgun.

I'm shopping for a Ruger LCP(Lightweight Compact Pistol) right now. A small framed, single stack 6+1. .380 that will fit in your back pocket.

So, what do you guys have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Remmington 870 for breaking clays and hunting.

Mosin Nagant, 1943 production year. Cheap cheap cheap. Shooting targets, and hunting if I ever get around to a buddies land where rifle hunting is permitted.

Hopefully I'll be picking up a 12 gauge side by side this weekend. Who knows though. None of my plans seem to be happening; especially that one where I was going to make a brake hub puller.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Jared
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 ARC ( and care-taker of a '98 900SE)
    A Red Ryder BB gun! And I'll shoot yer eye out with it!

Somebody was going to say it.

I don't have any guns, but I really am a good shot. Always have been too. I just don't have a reason to have one, I don't hunt, and I don't have time to go to a range. I do; however, enjoy using my uncles various weaponry at our cabin.
    I don't drive fast...I fly slow

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Our law enforcement is having a heck of a time dealing with ......... weaponry

"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Zach
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '98 900SE vert stg3+
    I am hoping to start a collection sometime soon after graduating. Went trap-shooting with a couple buddies and had a blast, even if I didn't do so hot at first. I was a lot better at hip-shooting than actually aiming through the sights lol. I don't even remember what guns we were shooting too well, except for the Remington 870, I really was fond of that gun.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Enough.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    The Remington 870 is the the Ford Taurus of the gun world. They're inexpensive, dead reliable and will take all kinds of abuse. Everyone should own an 870 at least once.

I remember one miserable deer season opening day when it was 38F and raining. I sat in a tree stand for 5 hours and never saw a thing. I walking back to the house just before dusk, totally out of hunting mode. As I walked into a small clearing about 100 yards from the house a large doe lifted her head and stared at me. I think she was as surprised as I was, because she froze. Keeping her eyes locked with mine, I slowly got my 870 12 gauge into position and fired. A perfect shot, she dropped instantly. Being out in the weather for 5 hours didn't bother the 870 at all.

The unspoken hunting rule goes like this: 1 shot = Dinner. 2 shots = Maybe dinner. 3 shots = McDonalds for dinner.
    Last edited by Hirsch; 06 January 2012 at 15:21.
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch View Post
    The unspoken hunting rule goes like this: 1 shot = Dinner. 2 shots = Maybe dinner. 3 shots = McDonalds for dinner.
    That will work for 1-shot or 2-shots dinner calls:

But not 3-shots, as we all know there is no real beef in McD's patties ............
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Well, I've never hunted a cow. I can't imagine that there's much sport in it.

My brother was the lucky deer hunter in our family. Almost every year he'd walk into the woods and kill a deer within an hour. I was the one sitting in a stand for hours every day. More often than not I'd get my deer on the last day of gun season.

But my patience usually paid off because I'd generally shoot bigger deer than my brother.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd

LCP Youtube

Check out the YouTube vid on the fellow demoing the Ruger LCP.

How long does it take you to figure out where he has it concealed?
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum