Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd

Too much pressure?

In the cooling system? 2007 9-3 SC Aero 2.8T V6 6MT.

On December 16th one of the hoses from the coolant tank to the top end of the engine split. Just Saab didn't have the part in stock but they scavenged a used one from an 08 with 22k miles. Of course 3 days later the bankruptcy started and parts are hard to find.

Since then I've been smelling antifreeze after I park in my garage. I had some intermittent lighting problems that I wanted fixed so I took it in today and asked them to fix the lights and check the antifreeze smell.

The used hose they put on had started to split. There has to be a reason why it's splitting hoses, I"m wondering if there's some blockage in the cooling system causing the system to over pressurize. I asked them to run a pressure check, I'll know something tomorrow. --12/29/2011

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/30/2011

Found out today that both the upper and lower hoses from the coolant tank have to be replaced. Ben Hyde, the parts guy at Just Saab found a set in Florida, with the holiday, they should have them Tuesday or Wednesday. Then they can run a pressure test on the cooling system.

The left front xenon bulb was bad, $196, installed.

It's running fine and putting out 18psi of boost. So the lack of power I thought I was feeling was all in my head.

Thoughts on why it split hoses at 59.5K miles

Also, I have a 2011 9-5 BioPower with 2834 miles as a loaner. Stuff like that makes a $196 light bulb not sting as bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    If it's splitting hoses from over pressure, I would guess the others would be straining too; unless one of the nipples the hose attaches to is bigger than it's supposed to.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    I don't know man. I'm having them run a pressure test and regardless of the results I'm having the cooling system flushed. I don't trust Dex-Cool and I'm not going 100K on original antifreeze.

The 60k mile service is due and thats a big one and I'm not sure how much of it is necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I don't know enough about coolant types to comment. I do know that many VW's and nearly all modern Audi's use G12. It's expensive (at $20 a gallon--which makes 2 gallons), but it is supposedly better. I guess it is a better lubricant, less corrosive, and is better on rubber seals and hoses. I don't know that you can't mix it with other coolants (even the "mix with all" stuff) as it will flocculate and can cause a clog.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig