Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v

Changing the cabin air filter on a NG900/OG9-3

[FONT=verdana]Changing the cabin air filter is something that a new owner should do to any used car. Most times you have no idea how dirty the old filter is until you get to it, maybe the last person to set eyes on your filter was a Swedish guy named Sven at the factory in Trollhättan. On a few cars, like the SAAB NG900, getting to the filter is quite a task, but it's definitely worth it![/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I bought a new filter at NAPA Auto Parts, the part number is 4681, brand is NAPA Enviroshield, coast was less than $35. Other reliable brands sell the filter too, just check with your local auto parts or online retailer.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Follow these step-by-step instructions to replace the filter on the NG900:[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]The filter resides underneath the black plastic cowl below the windshield, on the top part of this picture. You must remove the cowl to remove the filter. (Edit: the second time I replaced my cabin filter I did not remove the cowl cover. Although it is possible to do it without removing the cover I would advise against it, as you must bend it a bit, and if the plastic is brittle you force breaking it)
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Start by removing both windshield wipers: to remove, first you must remove the black plastic caps that cover the windshield wiper mounting bolt:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Once that plug is removed put a wrench on that nut and remove it
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]With the nut out you can pull the wiper arm by hand. Repeat this for the driver's side.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Once you have both windshield wiper arms removed you must remove the rubber gasket that sits on the lip between the cowl and the engine firewall. It's just pressed in place, so just tug at one corner with an upward motion and the thing comes off. Follow along its length, from one side of the firewall to the other:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]On the driver's side of the plastic cowl piece you will see a rubber hose going through it, that's your wiper nozzle line. Disconnect it from the barbed piece on the cowl:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Gently pull the cowl piece away from the windshield: you have to play with the piece a bit, bending it and pulling it over the windshield wiper arm posts. Don't pull it completely off yet as there is another rubber hose connected behind it:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Working on the bottom part of the cowl, remove the rubber hose from the inside barbed piece:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Once that is done you can pull the cowl piece right out
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]With the cowl cover out you can now see the filter resting in its place, underneath the wiper arms. Some people say you have to remove the wiper arms to get to the filter but I was able to remove the old one and install the new filter without removing the wiper arm assembly:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]The filter has two snaps on each side: to remove simply undo the snaps, pull the passenger side up, and slide the filter out
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]With the filter out you can see the cowl full of dried leaves and god-knows-what else in there. Get a vacuum and remove all that junk.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Here is the new filter out of the box
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Old and new side by side
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]To install the new filter just slide it into place, reversing what you did to remove the old one. Once in place make sure both snap locks are snapped in place
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]While the cowl cover was out I decided to beautify it: it's dull and dirty as it sits now
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Armor All Tire Foam works wonders on all exterior black plastic pieces, not just tires! Other similar products work great too.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]You don't need to cover the whole thing with tire foam, just a light spray will do
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]After that's done go over the piece with a rag, spreading the tire foam. Instantly it looks new again. If you really want to you can do the backside too...
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]When installing the cowl piece you must make sure it goes under the rubber lip at the bottom of the windshield: it is better to start at both corners and work towards the center. If you need grab a plastic spatula or other think plastic tool to help you put the cowl cover underneath that rubber lip. (this pic was taken before I cleaned the plastic piece, so it looks dull here) Don't forget to reconnect the rubber hose to the barbed piece behind it!
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Next, follow all above steps backward: connect hose to barbed piece outside cowl, connect rubber gasket to top of firewall, install wiper arms, wiper arm nuts and wiper arm covers.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]You now have a clean cabin filter, and depending on how dirty your old one was perhaps your fan is blowing more air too!

Originally posted on my SAAB Site: [/FONT]
    https://sites.google.com/site/pierec...bin-air-filter
    Last edited by rpiereck; 09 January 2012 at 19:35.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 convertible
    Nice tutorial, I assume this is the procedure for my 2003 93 convertible. I have had the filter for quite some time but couldn't find a good tutorial. Thanks!

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
    I assume the procedure is the same for a 9-5...

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by THEOLDMAN View Post
    I assume the procedure is the same for a 9-5...
    It is different for the 9-5. http://saabworld.net/f29/cabin-filte...aab-9-5-a-165/

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 convertible
    Changed the filter today, very easy with your instructions. Must have been the original, it was completely clogged with just about everything you could imagine! Now nice and clean! Thanks.

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Nothing like keeping it simple...

Thanks, Frank!