Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.8T V6 Turbo Convertible Aero
    http://saabworld.net/attachment.php?...6&d=1326317588

do you mean to the turbo lines? from the tank? link above should show a photo

here is link to a diagram http://www.jimellissaabparts.com/sho...ssembly=407512
    Last edited by simpleaz; 02 March 2016 at 02:32.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    93 2.8 Aero Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by simpleaz View Post
    http://saabworld.net/attachment.php?...6&d=1326317588

do you mean to the turbo lines? from the tank? link above should show a photo

here is link to a diagram http://www.jimellissaabparts.com/sho...ssembly=407512

See your picture. I drew a circle around that area of the tank i'm talking about. I've googled many of the same model/year tanks and they all show some kind of hose there. I have nothing covering that nipple. Can you tell me what's there? or what's supposed to go there? Appreciate any feedback. Thank you
    Name:  IMG_1306 copy.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  34.7 KB

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    93 2.8 Aero Sedan
    This is what happened. I'm in Wisconsin, it's pretty cold up, very cold. I noticed i wasn't getting any heat. After work and on my way home while on the highway, I glanced and noticed my temp gauge was close to hitting the HIGH area. When I noticed I freaked and pulled over ASAP. It was weird when I pulled over, my gauge immediately dropped back to the middle. I slowly made my way to the first spot I could safely stop and had it towed home. I didn't not get a light/warning of anything. May probably try to top off with coolant. The attached picture of my tank and the particular spot I'm speaking of has nothing there. When I feel that area, there's just a hole there pointing straight at the firewall.
    Name:  tank.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  18.7 KB

Saab(s)
    I see. My son has the car right now but I am sure it is a vent hose that just drops down about 7 inches or so along the firewall.

Saab(s)
    Last edited by simpleaz; 04 March 2016 at 21:44. Reason: added photo for link

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    93 2.8 Aero Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by simpleaz View Post

Thank you. I really appreciate your assistance. I topped off the coolant this morning and turned the car on for less than 30 seconds, The fans ran high, so I turned off the car and they still kept running for a good minute or so. I don't get it, I just turned it on! It's never done this before. I think it may be time to take it to a shop. Will try to search and exhaust all options before making that decision. Thanks again.

Saab(s)
    Could be air in hose lines, blockage in passage way, or faulty temp sensor. A shop can run diagnostics to see if something sensors wise.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    93 2.8 Aero Sedan
    I'm not sure if there was any blockage of any type, but I took the chance and drove it to a shop to get it diagnosed. The mechanic did a pressure test and told me that the test revealed a leaky water pump. He replaced that and my serpentine best as well. $450 later, she seems to be running as I remembered all these years. Car blowing hot for our cold winter days up here and fans no longer acting up. Will probably buy that hose on the expansion tank as well from that picture you sent me. Appreciate all your help. Thank you.

Saab(s)
    Glad to help and hear your repair was not too bad. I am pretty sure you have to buy the whole tank kit to get the hoses etc. you could just goto autparts store and get a rubber hose then dangle it down the back of the tank. It is only for vent in case of I assume the pressure cap not working correctly. You could do that for $10 and zip tie it in approximately the same route.

I have wondered about my water pump. No leaks anywhere but we do add coolant on and off the last 3 years. No water or antifreeze in the oil so been a mystery. The thing is such an oven with the turbo slammed in there I am sure if we had a leak it evaporates so fast we would not know where. Also I am in Phoenix. A pressure test would probably answer that question.

Glad you are back on the road.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    93 2.8 Aero Sedan
    I have read numerous threads of the coolant tank be faulty. I may just purchase one and replace it. Reason being I just paid off the car a month and am willing to pay for these minor fixes to keep it as long as I can. Really would hate to have another car payment at the moment. Since I've owned it 5 years ago, other than light bulbs going out, this heat/coolant/water pump problem probably is the only big issue I've ever had with this vehicle.

To add to my story and yours with the coolant, 2 years ago, one of the the hoses to the expansion tank cracked and sprayed coolant all over. I purchased a new one and replaced it. This was in the summer. You wouldn't be able to tell when it was nice and warm outside, but I noticed when fall and winter came around the car wouldn't get hot. No heat. Checked and coolant was low but never got a light or warning. When filled up then I would get heat. So I would know that when it was cold outside and I got heat, I was okay. When I wasn't getting heat, it was time to refill with coolant. Refilling has been going on every few months for the past 2 years. I have always wondered like yourself, where this coolant was going as it was not showing signs of leaking from anywhere. A co-worker and I came up with the same "evaporation" theory you mentioned. I don't know if this recent repair will fix all this, but I can definitely keep you posted. Thanks!
    Last edited by saab80; 04 March 2016 at 22:29.