Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.8T V6 Turbo Convertible Aero

2006 V6 2.8 T Coolant Leak - replacement

I have googled to death and learned quite a bit about the heat and the V6 2.8 T issues with baking components. I purchased the Saab this summer and love it. Not many miles and in great shape. The other day I noticed an antifreeze smell and didn't see anything leaking.

When I checked again this past weekend and the coolant overflow bottle had the top return line broken off inside the hose and only 1/2 was left to fasten the clamp on. As I put it back together, the whole end just crumbled. Fun as the local dealers all closed in 15 minutes. Needless to say I left the car in the driveway for a few days until I could get back to fixing it.

I have learned Saab had a Customer Satisfaction bulletin and replace these bottles due to the heat issues with the V6 turbo. With the latest news on Saab, I didn't bother doing anything with the dealer and bought the parts and was back on the road in about 30 minutes. I am debating buying another set just to have in case this happens again and Saab is really closed for good. Not sure yet. Don't want to pay 2x the dealer price if parts go in short supply. Some posts I read show some had 6 or 7 replacements of the coolant overflow setup. Crazy.

Well, still love the car and will drive in the ground with or without Saab up and running.

Name:  IMG_1294.jpg
Views: 4261
Size:  36.9 KB
    above is all fixed
    Name:  IMG_1285.jpg
Views: 4055
Size:  38.4 KB
    above pic is the crumbled fitting

I am not sure if heat shield material is available to put between the turbo and the coolant resevoir?

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Wow - I have not seen a nipple snap off yet!

You need the hose/tank kit and a new cap. The caps are the source of the problem - they are not regulating the correct pressure and venting when they should. Result is an overheated over pressurized tank. The hoses suffer from the heat as well.

Make sure that your ME9 - (ECM) has the upgraded software which WILL turn the fans on sooner to keep the engine temps cooler to prevent a future failure.

Also - I've found that those tension clamps are not holding on either on tuned cars - so I install quality stainless hose worm clamps on both ends as well.

I have not had ANY come back with the full and complete repair done in that manner.

GOOD LUCK!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    Thanks. I will order a new cap. I replaced the tank with a new kit. I thought of using the worm clips but didn't for now. That is how I discovered the worn out nipple. It crumbled when I was tighting the worm clip. Hence the whole replacement.

For the cooling fan fix, I will have to have a dealer or shop do that right?

Saab(s)
    Here is the old tank. You can see the broken hose nipple and the soon to be broken nipple. I did get a new cap so I hope this resolves the cause of the higher than normal pressure that caused the damage. I still need to have a dealer flash the software for the better cooling fan program. Not many dealers left in Phoenix. The Cady dealer said his Saab guy was gone the day I stopped in but said he can help me out if the Saab tech agrees.

Running fine.

Name:  IMG_1306.jpg
Views: 3750
Size:  36.0 KB

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6

Saab(s)
    Thanks. Any Saab techs who can confirm the need to invert the hoses? I reconnected in the original configuration.

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    This is an issue my roomy has from time to time on his V8 Audi. The stock the tank and it is only $60. But Saab parts availability may get iffy. If you have the spare change I say buy one extra now. Who knows if it will be around when you need it the 3rd time.

Saab(s)
    Thanks for the replies here and directly. I will leave the replacement hose orientation as original and inspect the tank routinely. I put the old hoses in the trunk for backup.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    good, you are right with the original hoses configurarion.
    I Have no problem at all in nearly two years with the new version tank and hoses not inverted.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    93 2.8 Aero Sedan
    Can you help me figure out what is supposed to be hooked up on the nipple opposite the front two on the tank. I'm really trying to figure out what's needed to be there. My saab overheated today, i pulled over, had it towed home and can't figure it out or see anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.