Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Wiki on SaabWorld

I was looking at a Wiki add-on and am curious if anyone has any thoughts on that. Could that be a helpful addition to create, share and update content here on SaabWorld? Or just make things more complicated?

I haven't really thought much about it but we can think of:

The main advantage is information is easily kept up-to-date and it easy for everyone to participate. This would require moderator participation and maintenance, approvals etc. And most of all, participation of all members. I think it will be pretty similar to Wikipedia.org but within a smaller online community. I never contributed anything on Wikipedia as it doesn't have that sense of community for me.

This seems the best add-on: https://www.vaultwiki.org/

VaultWiki, the leading Wiki addon product for vBulletin, is a highly effective way of sharing information that encourages visitors to return to your web site. Its framework makes it possible for many users to produce content simultaneously, providing the tools to streamline this process and increase efficiency of content creation on your vBulletin site.

• User-Editable Content

The powerful editing options in VaultWiki allow your community to collaborate to create and publish content pages for your site. Multiple users can edit the same page, and your staff can moderate changes as they are made. VaultWiki maintains a detailed history of every page, making it just as easy to reverse unwanted changes. More...

• Versatility

Use to create general site content, user manuals, wikis, eBooks, product pages, and more. VaultWiki works by extending vBulletin's forum and permissions systems - easily create and designate forum areas for different purposes. With a little imagination, VaultWiki can be configured to do almost anything. More...

• Seamless Integration

At its core, VaultWiki is an addon product for vBulletin. Its pages all meld with vBulletin's existing style and template system. Content created with VaultWiki is indexed by vBulletin's built-in search engine. A user's contributions are acknowledged on his or her profile. The list goes on...

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    I'll defer to the tech guys on this subject.

But if it works and it's easy to use, I say go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Wikis can be very useful, sounds like a great add on.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Of course, you've got to make sure everyone will play nice and enter true information. If it's free (which I doubt) and we find out we don't like it, no harm no foul.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    Of course, you've got to make sure everyone will play nice and enter true information.
    That's why you need active moderator participation so new additions and changes are checked. I think moderators can reverse any changes. Contrary to the Wiki website, you have to be a member on SW to submit changes so it will be more of a controlled environment. And you can easily see who contributes to articles.

They have a free Lite version so we can start with that. If it becomes a popular feature, we can get the paid version with more features.