Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I have side burns - since the 6th grade. General Burnside was the first noted person to make the style known but did not want them named after him - thus side burns were dubbed. I just use the two "s" to make it a bit different - but the same. The 42 is from the ultimate question assumed as what is the meaning of life from Douglas Adams Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy.
    Thus burnsside42 was born.... it's also universal on all forums as well - not really car related and everyone calls me burnsy from the Saab community and I will respond to it - but Jeff also works
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Zack
    SAAB SAAB SAAB BLABLABLA Brewmaster's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1987 900 SPG (totaled), 1987 900 T16 (new SPG)
    I [used to] brew beer

And I will again [when I have the time and money and a space to set up]

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Why do many use usernames on these forums? Because we never were able to choose our real names? Fighter pilots get their nicknames from others. Perhaps we should do that here as well..

And no, you can't have Maverick or Iceman..

For fighter pilots, nothing flies like funny call signs - Marine Corps Community for USMC Marine Veterans

Instead, call signs are intended to give fellow pilots a laugh at the recipient's expense and build camaraderie within a squadron.

"We still say 'major' and 'captain' but only for business," Peeler said.

Call signs can have something to do with a pilot's physical traits, surname, mannerisms or personality. They can be inspired by something the pilot has done -- especially if he or she messed up. Political correctness is not a consideration.

The selection of a nickname begins when a list of names is compiled by members of a pilot's squadron, said Col. Tim "Demo" Rush, who got his call sign as an Air Force flight instructor.

The names are debated and then there's a vote. Tradition also requires a pilot not complain about his or her call sign.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Internet egos are too fragile for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Real names Mike. It's one of the most popular names out there. Bound to be many Mikes, but can only be one Shazam.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    Real names Mike. It's one of the most popular names out there. Bound to be many Mikes, but can only be one Shazam.
    They came before ya:

"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    My dad's was "Maverick" which was a play on his real name and also meant stray calf, or one who had no brand so it was kind of a lost little "dogie" out on the range. This was well before Top Gun.

One of our fellows was stuck with "Bad Toe" since he was not paying attention and had a very large aircraft run over his foot breaking his big toe in the process.

"Hurricane" lived and flew and lived up to his name right to the end. His grin was as big as Texas.

Shazam, at least from a friend who always used that, I hear it as a bit longer sounding as in .... Shaaaa-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaam, so if said in under 5 seconds you were too fast?
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Zack
    SAAB SAAB SAAB BLABLABLA Brewmaster's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1987 900 SPG (totaled), 1987 900 T16 (new SPG)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Why do many use usernames on these forums? Because we never were able to choose our real names? Fighter pilots get their nicknames from others. Perhaps we should do that here as well..

And no, you can't have Maverick or Iceman..

For fighter pilots, nothing flies like funny call signs - Marine Corps Community for USMC Marine Veterans
    One of the other forums I visit has a game not unlike this. The game was that when a new page was started in the game thread, the first poster on the new page got to choose a title for the last poster of the previous page. It is tons of fun when it happens, but the thread can get to 100 pages within hours sometimes.