Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i

VERY far fetched headlight idea

As some of you know, I've been having issues with my headlight ECMs (yes, BOTH of them).

Since replacing them doesn't seem to provide any sort of fix, I'm very seriously considering some surgery.

Replacing the stock units with aftermarket ones ... but keeping the leveling motors in place (since THEY work just fine).

But I can't for the life of me think of how this could be done ... there isn't much in the way of space in there and aftermarket bulbs wouldn't plug in where the OE's go ... they just wouldn't fit.

Anyone know of a good shop doing this sort of work (in the Toronto area)?
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I'm checking on a Buffalo VW forum. I know it's a bit out of the way, but the guys are anal about their cars, so they might know what a good place is.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Scott Hutchings
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Thanks Mike ... I appreciate it. Hadn't thought of checking with another car forum though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    I'm checking on a Buffalo VW forum. I know it's a bit out of the way, but the guys are anal about their cars, so they might know what a good place is.
    www.SaabClub.ca

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    They all apparently do work like that themselves. No luck there I guess.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Scott Hutchings
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Having thought about it a little more, I realize that I need someone who knows what the are doing. The voltage going into the Xenon bulb is a little beyond my comfort level.

I'll contact a BMW driver I know who had some light work done on his car and see if he can point me to the right guy.
    www.SaabClub.ca

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero, Manual
    Hey Scott!
    I was having a helluva time figuring out the problem I was having with the Xenon Control Module repeatedly failing. Turns out that the new Philips series bulbs I had purchased would not play nicely with a newer control module I had purchased. Apparently there is a series of Philips bulbs (you can check the Serial# on the bulb) that was causing some of the newer modules to fry - Xenon Lamp Control Module - GM Techlink
    Don't know if this is your problem or not but wanted to share. Hope you've been well

Scott Hutchings
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    OK, so with the coming of nicer weather, I decided to give my headlight replacement idea a go ...

Basic thought was, plug in another bulb, controlled by something other than the ballist. I managed to do this, but a reflector-type bulb inside a projector lense doesn't work very well. But it did prove that I can do what I set out to do ... get working headlights again.

The ballast still controls the pitch control motors and hi-beam filter, so that is really good. Now I just need to find a set of bulbs that are designed for a projector setup and I will be all set. Likely go with an aftermarket set of HID's and fit them in the same way I did these.

btw, I took 2 old D1S bulbs and took them apart ... the aluminum housing is just that, a housing that comes apart and surrounds the bulb and ignitor. It fits back together nicely too, even with an H8 bulb stuffed in it.

All in all, a good, productive afternoon today!
    www.SaabClub.ca

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Arc, 1999 9-5 V6 ( Sold )
    Scott,

I am very interested in knowing how your experiment turns out. I am having hell of a time finding leveling sensors for my car. so I am considering something slightly different. I am considering replacing my setup with good old halogens

Alex Andrews (Lex)
    Saab(s)
    ‘02 9-5 Aero, ‘16 Skoda Superb SE-L Exec.
    This may sound very laymanish. The control unit your describing runs between the ignitor at the back of the bulb and the main wiring??? A unit that fits under the headlight?
    More things change. The more they stay the same.

Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Sedan (R.I.P.), 2006 9-5 2.3T Sport, 2008 9-3 Aero SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Andrews View Post
    This may sound very laymanish. The control unit your describing runs between the ignitor at the back of the bulb and the main wiring??? A unit that fits under the headlight?
    Almost. The control unit (the ballast) is screwed in underneath the headlight assembly. The ballast increases the frequency of the battery power in order to (among other things) eliminate flickering. The ignitor comes after the ballast and is built into the back of our bulbs. On aftermarket kits the ignitor is built into the ballast, significantly reducing the price of the bulbs.