Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    That's really odd the chimes suddenly started working. I didn't even know you could disable the turn signal sound with Tech2. Perhaps there was a loose connection somewhere before? Strange..

Sounds like you're having a good time showing your Saab around Europe.

Scot
    EqualOpportunity Offender
    Saab(s)
    1989 900 SPG Turbo,1993 9000 Aero Turbo, 2000 9-5 Aero, 2005 9-2x Aero, 2011 9-3 Aero Sedan Turbo4
    Dang...i can't get more than 3-5 years out of a set of the best tires I've purchased since 1989...guess it's a turbo clutch thing...

Though i wouldn't ride a moped with 18yr old tires! What year is the car, are they factory (j/k)...

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    That's really odd the chimes suddenly started working. I didn't even know you could disable the turn signal sound with Tech2. Perhaps there was a loose connection somewhere before? Strange..
    My guess is that having the battery disconnected for 1-1/2 months reset everything to factory defaults.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotHibb View Post
    Dang...i can't get more than 3-5 years out of a set of the best tires I've purchased since 1989...guess it's a turbo clutch thing...

Though i wouldn't ride a moped with 18yr old tires! What year is the car, are they factory (j/k)...
    The car is a 95 model, made in 94. The tires are Gislaved, a Swedish tire that is hard to find in the US, and that's why think they came as a factory or dealer option. I could be wrong.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    My guess is that having the battery disconnected for 1-1/2 months reset everything to factory defaults.
    That seems like the best logical explanation. I find the chimes in my current and past Saabs mostly unobtrusive. The seat belt reminder in my 9-4X is a very soft and nice sound. More like "Would you consider putting on your seat belt, please?" compared to other cars with a loud, obnoxious noise like " You idiot! What the hell are you thinking driving without your seat belt!". The reminder when you leave your blinker on without knowing is nice as well.

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    Well, the chimes and the tick-tock are very soft like yours, it's just the fact that they weren't there before... It still catches me off guard when I get in the car or when I leave the key in the ignition.

Oh, by the way, today I took the car to get the vehicle inspection office. The inspector, some guy in his late 50s, put the car on the rollers, performed front and rear brake checks (they pull evenly), then drove to a pit bay, walked under the car, poking here and there, checked tie rods, wheel bearings, etc. He told me he usually checks the engine and transmission but told me he wasn't going to check mine because he had seen everything he needed. The he told me ''this is the best old SAAB I have seen in a few years.'' Made me proud!

Then I got my new German plates, , no pics yet, I'll fix that tomorrow!
    Last edited by rpiereck; 03 February 2012 at 20:59.

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    Well, I was mistakes about the plate, it's , here is a picture of the car from yesterday, sunny but frigging cold:

I got the front license plate mounted on top of the US plate frame, which I'll remedy today, removing that frame.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I am not sure if they did this in Germany but they used to have special license plates for foreign military in the Netherlands. It looks like yours is just a regular German plate.

That's quite an amazing journey from Alaska to Germany. Not many can say they drove their Saabs on more than one continent.

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    Yes, they used to give us different plates that said US instead of D and had the NATO star instead of the EU 13 star circle. But due to security measures they went to actual German license plates registered with the local municipality.

Our US government vehicles still have the old style US plates but they are registered with the Army, not with the municipality, and they all start in IF, for International Forces.

For the most part our vehicles here have to follow European safety regulations, but our cars are inspected by a German contractor, not by TÜV. We can't have front window tints anymore (the reason I removed mine before shipping), and have to comply with EU noise regulations. Our vehicles are however exempt from road tax, and EU emission and lighting standards. For that reason if you ever see a car in Germany with colored headlights (green, purple..), or those horrible aftermarket HIDs, you can bet they are US service members.