Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Wagon
    Thumbs Up:   0

Dim Headlamps, stereo issue and fuel mileage

Greetings.
    I just picked up my first Saab last week. It's a 2006 9-5 Sport Wagon.
    A few things on my mind:
    1. The headlamps are REALLY dim, but they are working. The fog lamps are essential for night driving. Are the lamps on their way out?
    2. The stereo switches CDs and radio stations on its own. Rough roads may cause this, but I have not spent enough time in the car to identify any real patterns.
    3.What's the average MPG in the city. The SID is reading between 14-18 MPG. I'd like it to be higher.

Any recommendations?

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   112
    1. Do you have the halogen or Xenon headlights?

2. Sounds unusual, haven't heard of this before. Hardware issue?

3. Average mpg should be at least 20. I got an average of 25.6 mpg over 12,5K miles with my 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero which has the same 2.3T engine as yours. Did you reset the average mpg on the SID?

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Wagon
    Thanks for the reply.
    1. Xenon.
    2. Possibly a loose connection.
    3. I'll check it out.

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   112
    1. The Xenon bulbs probably need to be replaced. Do they appear pink and/or flicker as well? Other issues could be incorrectly installed bulbs or there is something wrong with your automatic headlight leveling.

0 Not allowed!

Michael
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Combi
    How many miles on your wagon? My Xenon bulbs seem to have bouts of flickering or one going out. I simply turn off the switch when I get the warning lamp, and it all returns to normal- sometimes for months with no issue. BUt they are always very bright. Once in a while when turning them off, I get a lot of flickering and then after 2-3 seconds they go out. These are original bulbs and I would say they are on almost 80% of my driving time- 129K.

Michael

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    Thumbs Up:   1
    Yep, that sounds like the bulbs are going bad, my parents had that problem with their 9-5, they'd cycle the switch off and then back on and the lights would be fine for the rest of their drive. We eventually changed the bulbs out and the problem was fixed. I found a vendor on Amazon if I remember right that was selling the Phillips D1S bulb (which is what Saab uses) for $50 each which is incredibly reasonable. Autozone/Advanced usually sell them for $99+ and the last time I priced one out at the dealership they $240 each for the exact same bulb. (Is this another reason why the company never made any money?)

0 Not allowed!
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Wagon
    77k Miles on the wagon. I have not seen any SID warnings related to the headlamps.

I have not noticed any flicker of the lamps except when switching between DRL and "regular headlamp" function all the way to the right. I'll see if the dealer is willing to work with me on the lamp replacement. Thank goodness for the fog lamps.

As for the MPG, I reset the SID. On my 160 mile round trip drive today, average MPG was 24.5 MPG. My short trips around town are still showing in the 14-16 MPG.

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    Thumbs Up:   1
    Have you done any maintenance on the car? Spark plugs, engine air filter etc?

0 Not allowed!
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Saab(s)
    1999 9-5
    1. The headlamps are REALLY dim, but they are working. The fog lamps are essential for night driving. Are the lamps on their way out?
    2. The stereo switches CDs and radio stations on its own. Rough roads may cause this, but I have not spent enough time in the car to identify any real patterns.
    3.What's the average MPG in the city. The SID is reading between 14-18 MPG. I'd like it to be higher.
    1. Not sure exactly

2. Mine was doing this, I would be listening to the radio, and then it would switch to CD and I could hear the CD player sound like it was trying to read a disk. I removed the holder in the back multi player and it stopped happening, surely it wasn't down correctly, but since I haven't yet used it, I just the cartridge.
    It would jump back and forth between the two. It was driving me crazy, I'm like... who's in the back doing this?! since this is my first car I didn't overly check it out so I was like hmm is there controls in the back : O ; p

3. Mine was reading exactly the same, just low stuff like that and the MPG finally got up to 16 from 14, but by holding the clear button I was able to reset the average mpg and speed, now everything is reading the real values like a charm and it's showing that I"m getting like ~30 mpg.

The previous owner must have had alot of in town driving because the average speed was pretty stuck at around 14-16 mph and in essence was showing that's how much mpg the person had created such a strong average of. So I guess it doesn't get very great city driving or who knows what was going on. Maybe lots of idling?

I'm not sure if this will all apply to your vehicle but I figured I would share my experience with what I have recently dealt with, if it ends up helping you ; )

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Wagon
    After re-reading the manual (page 61), I realized the lamps are behaving as if the Xenon fault had been triggered. They are aimed downward, but the fault light is not illuminated.
    I read the headlamp leveling post, but I'm not sure how to set the autolevel to "0" to allow adjustment.

0 Not allowed!